Wiki Posts
Search

The Gran Turismo 1/10 (GT10) Class

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default The Gran Turismo 1/10 (GT10) Class

Some of my friends who love the idea behind the VTA class came up with this idea for an even more affordable race class with a wide open selection of bodies. Tell me what you think of it.

Rules for the GT10 class:

1. Chassis: Any electric 1/10th scale chassis. It can be 4WD or 2WD.
2. ESC: Must be one of these 2: Dynamite Tazer 15T ESC (DYN4925) - or - the Duratrax Sprint ESC (DTXM1205).
3. Motor: Only the Axial 27T (AX24004) motor is allowed.
4. Tires: ANY treaded rubber tire between 24mm to 31mm wide (the tires must be mounted on rims of same width).
5. Bodies: Any street or GT style car body is allowed. Can be 190mm - 200mm wide. NO TOURING CAR BODIES (Like the Mazda Speed 6, LTCR, P37R, Dodge Stratus, etc.).
6. Batteries: Max limit of 5000mah 40c 2s (7.4V) HARD CASE Lipo batteries.

Last edited by wwddww34; 07-04-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Maybe you can take a look at the upcoming series that we'll run.

2012 Ultimate GT Series Rules & Regulations.pdf
Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by eComet
Maybe you can take a look at the upcoming series that we'll run.

Attachment 942929
That sounds like a GREAT class!! Just what the doctor ordered for on-road racing to help resurrect it; "scale" racing with cars that look real!! I hope that it catches on and becomes huge!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you are using a 27turm brushed motor? Then why does it matter what ESC you run? None of them can make it faster none of them can add timing like a brushless ESC can.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
If you are using a 27turm brushed motor? Then why does it matter what ESC you run? None of them can make it faster none of them can add timing like a brushless ESC can.
I think that the group's thought behind that decision was to find the lowest cost brushed ESC that is widely available. Same with the motor.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Lowest cost is still greater than the cost of just using one of the brushed ESC's sitting in a box in your basement.

In my opinion, if low cost is the goal, a spec tire should be item #1.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Steve S
Lowest cost is still greater than the cost of just using one of the brushed ESC's sitting in a box in your basement.

In my opinion, if low cost is the goal, a spec tire should be item #1.
Funny you mention that about the box in the basement. Two of the members in this group dug up a box in their basement (or attic) and one found the Dynamite Tazor in his box and the other found the Duratrax Sprint ESC in his box. That's how those were picked for the rules.

We were tossing around the idea of having a single spec tire (like HPI 4797 and HPI 4793 in VTA) but we all had bad memories of those particular tires being non-available for 4 months in a row. So we decided to leave the tires as ANY treaded rubber tire between 24mm to 31mm wide.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So lowest cost means lowest cost for the dudes making the rules Really though, I don't see any point in restricting speed controls for brushed racing, especially with 27T motors. There's just no advantage to be had.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We are running the GT10 class at our inaugural Texas Electric On road Series. The rules are great and they fit what we want to do.

If you think there is no advantages in speed controllers, you must not remember the brushed motor days and you are probably not very familiar with how MOSFETs work. Speed controllers can make a HUGE difference, even with 27T motors. Limiting the selection of speed controllers makes entry cost lower for beginners and hobbyists just trying their hand at on-road racing.

In either way, this is more of a regional class for us the Texas folks. It works here, so for the time being, we are following what the Hobbytown Austin guys run. It's their class and they all agreed to it. Week to week, it is their largest class.

Last edited by CristianTabush; 07-04-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: grammar...
Old 07-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
... If you think there is no advantages in speed controllers, you must not remember the brushed motor days and you are probably not very familiar with how MOSFETs work. Speed controllers can make a HUGE difference, even with 27T motors. Limiting the selection of speed controllers makes entry cost lower for beginners and hobbyists just trying their hand at on-road racing.
Thanks Cristian, I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Don't knock it till you try it!

Good luck fellas!!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This class was created by one of our racers. He based the class on what he could buy in our local Hobby Town (they put on our races).

It has been very successful for our track. It has replaced our novice class. 15-30 racers weekly.

The original guys of the class are still running the same motor/esc they started with 3 years ago.

Very cheap and very level playing field.

My old Gt10 setup was:
Chasis: Schumacher Mi4lp - $100
Esc: Phazer 15t - $25
Motor: Axail 27t - $12
Tires: Hpi x-pattern - $40
Body: Jaguar - $20
Total: $197 plus radio and servo

It was fun when I ran it.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

good job, if you keep it simple and fun the class will grow.

Over here we made rules to run a similar class (actually 2 classes).

We call this Gran Turismo Super GT (super GT is the full size japanese GT series where they run the widest selection of gt cars: american, european, japanese)

they have GT300 (300hp) and GT500 (500hp) cars, we made our 2 classes accordingly:

GT300 is entry level (using rtr preferably) for the lowest cost
GT500 is faster, allows better chassis and uses brushless and lipo

GT300:
any 4wd rtr chassis (basically plastic tub chassis, no expensive/fancy/lightweight competition chassis allowed)
motor: any sealed can 20 to 27 turn motor, note that we decided on sealed can motors because it is cheap (10-15usd) and you get these with most rtr's (hpi saturn 20, saturn 27, tamiya 550 27turn are the most common).
esc: any rtr esc (no high end race esc)
body: realistic gt bodies and wings
batteries: 7.2v nimh
tires: realistic thread rubbers (integy, hpi xpatterns, tamiya.. use the cheapest or what is easier to get, must use the original inserts, no mods)
rims: realistic (no dish rims of course!)

GT500: same as above but...
any 4wd touring chassis
brushless motor system: we decided to standardize this.
We use the hobbywing ez-run 13T with 35amp esc. (this is equivalent to a ROAR 19 turn brushed racing motor system, very reliable and inexpensive)
bateries: nimh (3000mah minimum) or lipo (up to 5000mah)
weight restriction: 1450 grams minimum

*the weight restriction and tire choice is mostly to even the playfield for the guys that are running rtr/tub chassis agains those with higher end, better handling race chassis.

we considered the possibility of racing GT300 with lipo (it is a bit faster than standard gt300), and call this variation GT300+ However it is not so user friendly for beginners because of all the lipo care and equipment needed. Also many brushed esc are not fully compatible with lipo (no cut-off device or may even not tolerate the extra voltage), so racing this instead of GT300 depends on the club and drivers willing to accept these compromises.

That's our series in a nutshell. Good thing is any GT300 driver can jump to the higher GT500 class by just upgrading the motor system (about 80-90usd), battery upgrade to lipo can always come later (it is suggested but not mandatory)

It is a cheap and fun series. So far it is working for us.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats all good. I didnt mean to offer a needless argument or to cause trouble at a track so far away that I stand little chance of participating. I just didnt see any advantage when there is no timing and no boost. I have loads of old brushed speedos sitting around including Tekins, late 80's KO speedos and Some Novak from right at the turn of the century. I do think the Axial can and USGT body format is a good idea though.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Thats all good. I didnt mean to offer a needless argument or to cause trouble at a track so far away that I stand little chance of participating. I just didnt see any advantage when there is no timing and no boost. I have loads of old brushed speedos sitting around including Tekins, late 80's KO speedos and Some Novak from right at the turn of the century. I do think the Axial can and USGT body format is a good idea though.
Thanks for your input Snoopyrc. I'm sure that if you were involved with the group who came up with these rules then one of those ESC's that you mentioned would have been in the list (just because you already had one). Just like other sets of rules (i.e. U.S. VTA) there could always be amendments made and other ESC's could be added to the list. They would have to be tested to see if they offer any significant advantages over the Dynamite Tazer or Duratrax Sprint before they get added to the list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.