Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated TC6.1 VS Yokomo BD7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Associated TC6.1 VS Yokomo BD7?

Hi Guys.. new to the forums. Although have been reading them for years.

I'm in the market for a nice new on-road kit for outside tarmac track racing. I know these two are quite new and most wouldn't have them yet. but if anyone could shed some light on which brand is better to go with or which car overall has less problems (with sensible use) that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by colbz

I'm in the market for a nice new on-road kit for outside tarmac track racing. I know these two are quite new and most wouldn't have them yet. but if anyone could shed some light on which brand is better to go with or which car overall has less problems (with sensible use) that would be greatly appreciated.
uhm.. the AE is not a new car. Both will work fine, run whichever has better local support in regards to both setup help and parts availability.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
uhm.. the AE is not a new car. Both will work fine, run whichever has better local support in regards to both setup help and parts availability.
Like he said both are great cars and both are winning races. The most important factor is what is being used at your track. It is very nice to have other racers to get setup info from.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well the biggest question is have you had on-road cars before?

If not buy the 6.1 or Xray.

The BD-7 is one bad mama jamma but its touchy and parts are harder to get.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If new buy the x ray or a serpent they are both beyond durable. I've personally owned a t3 12 and a bd-7 and I really like my bd-7. It's a smoother car and in my opinion easier to drive.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Mate simply get the new xray t4 it will perform very well out the box. I am at a guess by reading what u have said u have never raced before. The xray's are mighty stronge this and great out the box ur on to a great start.

Yokomo yes very good car the manual for the car is not for a beginner

Associated nice car, hit and miss on quality (since thunder tiger brought)

Tamiya very quick but u need to be good on the thumbs to get to work properly

Hotbodies nice quality not the strongest for a beginner.

Hope this helps Jay
Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jampot
Mate simply get the new xray t4 it will perform very well out the box. I am at a guess by reading what u have said u have never raced before. The xray's are mighty stronge this and great out the box ur on to a great start.

Yokomo yes very good car the manual for the car is not for a beginner

Associated nice car, hit and miss on quality (since thunder tiger brought)

Tamiya very quick but u need to be good on the thumbs to get to work properly

Hotbodies nice quality not the strongest for a beginner.

Hope this helps Jay
Thanks mate.

you guessed correctly i have never raced before. I have had around 10 yrs experience with offroad gear. but looking for something different. Leaning towards the Yokomo. as everyone says its good. and parts are available in South Australia quite easily.

ill look into the xray T4 for parts availability and such.

Cheers.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Leaning towards the Yokomo. as everyone says its good. and parts are available in South Australia quite easily.

ill look into the xray T4 for parts availability and such.

Cheers.
I am from South Australia so I'd like to know where Yokomo parts are easily available in south oz because If you are talking about hobby habit, they do not support any of the racing tourers from Yokomo. They only support the drift stuff which is rubbish for racing. Most locals avoid that shop like the plague and pretty much all of us shop overseas at Amains, Rcmushroom etc or Check out either RAB Hobbies(VIC), WalterRC(NSW) or Northern Beaches hobby (NSW) if you want good Australian hobby shops.

There are a 3 guys running the new BD7 at the track already but these guys all shop from overseas as there is no support locally.

Even though i run the Serpent now I previously ran the Xray so IMO You would be better of running the Xray as a lot of guys at the local SA club AERCCC run this car. Parts are available to order locally through model flight (or Northern beaches who are the importers) but you will very rarely break anything on this car. You would only need to carry some front and rear arms, steering blocks, rear hubs and c blocks. The kit set up will need little adjustment to get you going well.

PM me if you want to discuss more. Regards Benzaah
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

8<0
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah
I am from South Australia so I'd like to know where Yokomo parts are easily available in south oz because If you are talking about hobby habit, they do not support any of the racing tourers from Yokomo. They only support the drift stuff which is rubbish for racing. Most locals avoid that shop like the plague and pretty much all of us shop overseas at Amains, Rcmushroom etc or Check out either RAB Hobbies(VIC), WalterRC(NSW) or Northern Beaches hobby (NSW) if you want good Australian hobby shops.

There are a 3 guys running the new BD7 at the track already but these guys all shop from overseas as there is no support locally.

Even though i run the Serpent now I previously ran the Xray so IMO You would be better of running the Xray as a lot of guys at the local SA club AERCCC run this car. Parts are available to order locally through model flight (or Northern beaches who are the importers) but you will very rarely break anything on this car. You would only need to carry some front and rear arms, steering blocks, rear hubs and c blocks. The kit set up will need little adjustment to get you going well.

Ben,

Hobby Habbit are actually bringing in parts and kits to support the BD7 now, the price on the kits was near to if not better those from the online shops. If I knew at the time they were selling kits, I would have got mine from there. As for parts as well they are near enough to what OS shops are selling for. So your statement isn't entirely true.

AI

Last edited by A Ilievski; 10-01-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by kid TT-01
Ben,

Hobby Habbit ate actually bringing in parts and kits to support the BD7 now, the price on the kits was near to if not better those from the online shops. If I knew at the time they were selling kits, I would have got mine from there. As for parts as well they are near enough to what OS shops are selling for. So your statement isn't entirely true.

AI
Well there you go. Still reckon the OP is better of with an Xray
Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Benzaah

Yeah.. as for parts availability I was chatting to the blokes at Hobby Habbit. They are supporting the BD7 with all parts.

Considering the latest Xray is basically the same price as the BD7 i rekn ill go with Yokomo.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's like comparing a Ferrari from a corvette lol... BD7 all the way
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Tech Adept

I'v heard that the ARC R10 is a very good car out of the box. They dont require as much playing around and are very fast. They are also very good on the price. I run tc6.1 personally but my mates ARC R10 is very nice!

Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Been running the TC6.1 since its release and just switched to the BD7. The original TC6 was an awesome car and better than the TC6.1 for me.

The TC6.1 was very difficult on low grip surfaces but ok on higher grip.

The BD7 is just a machine straight out of the box. I was instanlty quicker with the BD7 at my 2 local clubs.

Outdoors on asphalt the BD7 was 6 seconds quicker over 5 minute run compared to my TC6.1. Best to average lap being 0.26 seconds so is also super consistent to drive.

Build quality on BD7 is much better also, the TC6.1 requires a few shims here and there to eliminate play and material removing to make fit better etc. Although the BD7 requires a few optional extras after buying the kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.