Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Breakout Racing:  The Ultimate Spec Class!!! >

Breakout Racing: The Ultimate Spec Class!!!

Breakout Racing: The Ultimate Spec Class!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Rookie

I think the breakout class is a great idea, and appreciate all that Howard and the others do to promote it.
I wandered in to the track a few months ago just to see what was going on and was greeted by being loaned a car and put on the track! I hadnt ran r/c's for 15 years, but after remembering how much fun it was, i got my old car out and am able to have great fun with very little investment.
I have since bought a new car im building, and as my skills come back i can hopefully be competitive in a more advanced class.
My point being, without the opportunity to race without dropping a bunch of money or feeling intimidated by the "pros", i would have walked away that day and probably not given it any more thought. Instead, i am trying to get others to come out.
Without new people coming in, how long do local tracks stay in business?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bar
this class sounds retarded!
In that case you would fit right in.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I will give u a thumbs up for the idea to bring more people into the hobby
Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by muahdib4
In a month or so I'll be out to race breakout with you all at fastlane. Going to get my new mini put together first. That way I can race TC and run my mini even if there isn't enough racers for a mini class. Plus, I could race something silly like a 4wd mini (think ABC Genetic chassis) that really doesn't fit in any classes.
We look forward to having you race with us!

Last Sunday I tried my Mini M05 in practice. It wasn't too far off of the current breakout time, running silvercan and 1400SCR NiCads(!). Replacing the very old tires with new ones would probably make up the remaining gap.

Last edited by howardcano; 09-28-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jordan.norwood@
The whole idea of this class is Ludicrous !!!!!!
I think you are Ludicrous
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
I will give u a thumbs up for the idea to bring more people into the hobby
Thanks! I wish I could claim credit for the idea, but many others have run Breakout before. Some of them have already contributed to this thread.

The program here started with me offering to let one of my oval racing buddies, Jim Harden, borrow two of my cars for him and his son to run in a 1/10 onroad pan car class I was trying to start. It was Jim's suggestion to run the class as Breakout, and things grew from there. I discovered most of the good points of the format as the class grew, and as I researched the format here on RCTech.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by A.Werstein
Should get a video of some racing oh here
I wish I had a video of the race we had just a few weeks ago... We regularly have races where the margin of victory is about a car length, but in this particular race it was 0.007 seconds! I might have won if my transponder were an inch closer to the front of the car!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ahicks
I think the breakout class is a great idea, and appreciate all that Howard and the others do to promote it.
I wandered in to the track a few months ago just to see what was going on and was greeted by being loaned a car and put on the track! I hadnt ran r/c's for 15 years, but after remembering how much fun it was, i got my old car out and am able to have great fun with very little investment.
I have since bought a new car im building, and as my skills come back i can hopefully be competitive in a more advanced class.
My point being, without the opportunity to race without dropping a bunch of money or feeling intimidated by the "pros", i would have walked away that day and probably not given it any more thought. Instead, i am trying to get others to come out.
Without new people coming in, how long do local tracks stay in business?
This post made my day! Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

We have already mentioned the method we use to conduct Breakout races, but it might help to reiterate it here for clarity (and to possibly drum up some other ideas):

The almost ubiquitous use of AMB transponders and scoring systems makes conducting a Breakout class very simple. Most computer programs used with the AMB scoring system have a provision to set a "minimum lap time". (This was originally included to prevent cars from shortcutting the course, or to eliminate false counting when the timing loop detects a transponder on an adjacent section of track.) We use this feature to enforce the breakout time; if you go quicker than that, the computer doesn't count the lap, and adds the time to the next lap.

A printer is nearly indispensible! Racers use hardcopies of the results to adjust their cars and driving to the optimum lap time.

What other methods have you used? What were their advantages and drawbacks?

Last edited by howardcano; 09-29-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Very interesting....

I'm gonna have to consider this option for our next outdoor season....Great concept for newbies!

I would also like to see some video of a breakout race if anyone has one.....

Plus, also gave me an idea about using this format on a surface where traction would be hard to get, like tile or concrete, like in a mall or something....

Set the minimum lap high enough where it will be more an exhibition for spectators.....hmmmm.....
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

What about running the opposite of breakout laps. Instead of punishing a racer because he is faster than the breakout lap, why not punish him because he is slower than the breakout lap by not counting that slow lap, and forcing him to only have fast laps , regardless of what vehicle he races, even if it's an Offroad truck or a bike????????
Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ray Murray
Very interesting....

I'm gonna have to consider this option for our next outdoor season....Great concept for newbies!

Plus, also gave me an idea about using this format on a surface where traction would be hard to get, like tile or concrete, like in a mall or something.... Set the minimum lap high enough where it will be more an exhibition for spectators.....hmmmm.....
The Breakout format might also help the turn marshalls, especially on a large outdoor track: fewer accidents mean less energy expended while marshalling!

Low-traction conditions would be a natural reason to run Breakout. I love running rear-wheel-drive cars and asphalt racing, but the two don't always mix well. Restricting the throttle throw or current limit (on ESCs having this feature) makes the cars much easier to drive. Breakout might also save money by reducing or eliminating the need for sugar water or VHT on the track.

An exhibition race at a mall-- what a great idea to promote our sport! Many years ago the "big race" in the Denver area was at a full-scale auto show, "World of Wheels". It was an excellent showcase for RC cars, with a highly receptive audience of "car guys", their wives, and their kids. Two cars having a close race made the crowd cheer wildly! It was a blast!

Last edited by howardcano; 09-30-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
What about running the opposite of breakout laps. Instead of punishing a racer because he is faster than the breakout lap, why not punish him because he is slower than the breakout lap by not counting that slow lap, and forcing him to only have fast laps , regardless of what vehicle he races, even if it's an Offroad truck or a bike????????
This idea is sort of the antithesis of the Breakout concept, but does share one common trait: it rewards consistency! It might be a good change-of-pace for a group of expert drivers.

I would change the idea a bit. When a driver misses the required lap time, he is required to pull his car off the track. The race continues until only one driver remains.

We should use a different name for this idea to distinguish it from Breakout racing. How about "Dropout Racing"? Or "Last Man Standing"? Or "Slow Poker" (pun intended)?

Last edited by howardcano; 09-30-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
This idea is sort of the antithesis of the Breakout concept, but does share one common trait: it rewards consistency! It might be a good change-of-pace for a group of expert drivers.

I would change the idea a bit. When a driver misses the required lap time, he is required to pull his car off the track. The race continues until only one driver remains.

We should use a different name for this idea to distinguish it from Breakout racing. How about "Dropout Racing"? Or "Last Man Standing"? Or "Slow Poker" (pun intended)?
Really liking this idea. Last Man Standing. might try this in our vintage 12's this coming winter season. have had interest from a few 12 scalers that want to run there 12scale 1s lipo. brushless with our silver can nicads. hit the mark or pull over. great way to work on driving consistency. throw in some minis and you have a fun fest.
Thanks Howard.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rageracing
Really liking this idea. Last Man Standing. might try this in our vintage 12's this coming winter season. have had interest from a few 12 scalers that want to run there 12scale 1s lipo. brushless with our silver can nicads. hit the mark or pull over. great way to work on driving consistency. throw in some minis and you have a fun fest.
Thanks Howard.
I'll bring my Delta Super Phaser with me the next time I visit Indiana!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.