Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Breakout Racing:  The Ultimate Spec Class!!! >

Breakout Racing: The Ultimate Spec Class!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breakout Racing: The Ultimate Spec Class!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default b'out continued

Also, not meant as an insult by saying newbies, etc, etc, etc. no hate mail please. Also after spending all this time trying to trade or sell my maxx, erbe, or mini's to get a car, I just read 235mm pan car. I have 2 of those from when me and my brother bought 'em in 1990-1992 and spare parts. Heck yeah I can finally go racing!!!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by puretruth71
I just read 235mm pan car. I have 2 of those from when me and my brother bought 'em in 1990-1992 and spare parts. Heck yeah I can finally go racing!!!!!
You are also welcome to use one of my loaner cars until your own car is ready to go. Just let me know in advance, as they've been quite popular lately! We look forward to having you race with us!

Last edited by howardcano; 10-03-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scootr117
We ran this a couple of years ago in Dayton. I ended up getting really consistant from it....I usually had my brother timing my laps at a point just behind the timing loop... If I blew a corner or got caught up by a slower car I could pull it harder and make up the time to be close to the min lap and tap the brake to keep from going under...I forget why they quit running it
My guess, is that most in the class became too consistent and it became a game of seeing how close folks could come to the breakout without going over. Plus the mix of cars made for sketchy racing. When you have a car running a 10.5 and 17.5 on the straightaway at the same time it got interesting. Eventually too many people griped and with the rise of VTA then USGT it went away.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Confucius

Confucius say: "Breakout racing like quantum physics-- may not make sense, but it works."
Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
Confucius say: "Breakout racing like quantum physics-- may not make sense, but it works."
Thats good lol
Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

been running 6.0 break out for ledgends on my oval track for 10 years played with it a little last weekend in vta and usgt and made one of our faster guys have to slow down for the rest of the field with results that made everybody happy but the fast guy that was putting .5 a second per lap on the field
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
been running 6.0 break out for ledgends on my oval track for 10 years played with it a little last weekend in vta and usgt and made one of our faster guys have to slow down for the rest of the field with results that made everybody happy but the fast guy that was putting .5 a second per lap on the field
Funny, we have the opposite problem here. I offer to turn down the throttle throw on my VTA so we can have a closer race, and some of the guys take it as an insult!

I'd rather lose by a foot than win by a mile.

Last edited by howardcano; 10-05-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default Onroad Breakout Racing Tip

Use tire traction compound for practice only. Don't use it in the qualifying heats or the main, as the lap times will be less consistent (too fast in the beginning of each run).
Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
Use tire traction compound for practice only. Don't use it in the qualifying heats or the main, as the lap times will be less consistent (too fast in the beginning of each run).
Tip: Practice how you race. You car will handle differently with and without compound. Practice so you can setup your car for how you will run it for "real".
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
Tip: Practice how you race. You car will handle differently with and without compound. Practice so you can setup your car for how you will run it for "real".
Good point! I usually use traction compound to clean up the driving line during practice, and run the car long enough that the lap times settle down. If I adjust the car to get close to the breakout time by the end of of the session (with some margin for a fresh charge the next time around), I'm good for the next run without compound. But if I only run a few laps in a practice session I'll make sure to run it without compound.

Last edited by howardcano; 10-05-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

That brings up another idea:

If the battery has enough capacity to run three heats and a main without any charging, I'm going to try racing that way. The lower battery voltage should somewhat counteract the improving lap times as the traction comes up on the track, and may reduce the changes needed in the throttle endpoint to maintain constant lap times.

Has anyone tried this?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I'd be a little worried about doing that for very long.

4 races (3 quals, main) @ 1200mah each would be 4800mah combined and would be well over 90% of a 5000mah pack. 2 races would be about right.

That said I think this would be great to help get more on-road classes going. We run a variety of classes at my local track but often don't have enough for each class (VTA is our longest consistant running class week in, week out) and then becomes a "who else showed up game". Add in that our hobby is cyclical and this could help guys run their favorite car week in and out.

Anything that gets people out and racing, I'm in for!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mkiiina
I'd be a little worried about doing that for very long.

4 races (3 quals, main) @ 1200mah each would be 4800mah combined and would be well over 90% of a 5000mah pack. 2 races would be about right.
Thanks for your concern; I'd be worried too if those were the numbers. On our present track layout I'm pulling about 700mAh per 6 minute run out of a 5000mAh cell. I wouldn't attempt pulling much more than half the capacity from any LiPo because I'm too cheap, and want to get maximum life out of them.

My VTA uses about 1200mAh per 6 minute run on the same track.

I'm also interested in the idea since I have a limited number of chargers, and I'm sometimes taking care of 5 cars on the same day (3 for me, plus 2 loaners).

Originally Posted by mkiiina
That said I think this would be great to help get more on-road classes going. We run a variety of classes at my local track but often don't have enough for each class (VTA is our longest consistant running class week in, week out) and then becomes a "who else showed up game". Add in that our hobby is cyclical and this could help guys run their favorite car week in and out.

Anything that gets people out and racing, I'm in for!
It sounds like you might be an ideal person to present the Breakout concept to your local track and fellow racers. Keep us informed if you decide to give this a try!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default The Two Rules of Racing

The First Rule of Racing: Always go as fast as you can.
The Second Rule of Racing: Never go faster than you can.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default Words of Wisdom

"Setting a LAND SPEED RECORD is about going fast. A good RACE can only happen when everybody is in control, and capable of similar lap times. THEN you're racing." -- Bob Stormer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.