R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Angry current leakage in to a carbon fibre chassis

got an x ray chassis and have begun to have loads of interference problems with. having checked most things I found that there is around 1 volt leaking into the chassis. there is nothing shorting out and no contacts etc from the motor are touching the chassis.

problem is that when the chassis is earthed out the servo and / or speed controller twich making the car impossible to drive.

nothing has been changed on the car we have changed motor, receiver, crystals, transmitter, battery packs. the only bits not changed are the chassis itself or the speed controller (speed controller gets changed tonight) - also got to check the continuity of the motor to the chassis

everyone that we have spoken to our club have not come across anything as serious as this - so, anyone out there got any helpful suggestions / thoughts.
exscousedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
Tech Master

Okay, assuming that you have done everything to prep the graphite chassis, filing the edges, and CA gluing them. My thought would be that the clear layer of sealant that give shiny look to the chassis, might be thin or worn away, and be conducting voltage from a component.
rc_bam226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

oh! forgot to mention - nothing on the car has been changed it had been running great for over a year and then it all started to go wrong....
Old 03-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Where are you measuring voltage from?

Chassis to ground (earth)
Chassis to motor???
Chassis to (-) batt
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

try a different steering servo
The Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
Tech Rookie
Default yeehaaa!!!!

hey, i think i've found out the problem after too many hours trying different things. what seems to have happened is the fixing screws have cut into the carbon fibre so the current produced by the motor conducts into the metal work into the chassis and so when it grounds etc a current runs through it and causes the problems. sealing the holes with some superglue appears to have significnatly reduced the probem

so rc_bam226 you were right - i've just seen your post!!! LOL

anyway, I'll get it up and running and give you all a progress report - probably about this time tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks for your thoughts