2005 ROAR On-Road Carpet Nationals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2005 ROAR On-Road Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Initiate

rodney, I thought of that after I wrote all that. Of course you guys want to see where your buddies ended up, I would too. LOL See I told you there was something I'd regret later. Thanks for reading it.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Results

Hey thanks Keith.....I think i'm starting to like this touring car thing.

Congrats to Ray on bringing home the win in 12th stock on his first race with the carpetknife. I knew I was going to have my hands full!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

I've been in this hobby for about 15 years now. I have attended several ROAR Nationals as well as the Snowbirds, Cleveland US Indoor Champs and other non-sanctioned national level events. Most have gone well, but all have had their problems.

The one key to a successful event seems to be the 'crew' that the race organizer puts together. The Race Director, Announcer, Tech and Track crew are what make an event work smoothly. Experience is incredibly helpful in these areas.

Preparation is critical. I think it was 1994 when JB Hobby held the ROAR 12th scale Nationals in Dayton, Ohio. I was only involved as a racer, but the planning I saw going on MONTHS in advance just on the hope of getting the event was amazing. Everybody involved was a volunteer, but they worked incredibly hard to pull off a great event.

Unfortunately, most tracks actually LOSE money on an event like this. There are many hidden costs behind the scenes, and the number of hours put in by the organizers is almost obscene.

With a National title on the block, the racers, both hobbyists and pros, get serious about the rules and pull out all the stops to win. This can put a lot of stress on everyone involved. There are technical problems, track problems and any number of other issues, this just comes with the territory. As a race official, you just need to put on your lead underwear, take the heat and be a professional.

What I would like to see from ROAR is a turnkey solution they can hand to the organizer that will allow him to put on a successful event. ROAR has been around long enough and has access to enough people who have done this, they should be able to put together a manual with specific guidelines and checklists that have been successful in the past. I very much like the idea that ROAR provide the lap counting hardware and software for the National events.

I know that ROAR is an organization made up of volunteers, but it is the primary sanctioning body in the United States. It is time to re-think how it does things and find a way to regain some respect.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Well put gotpez.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Tech Initiate

here here!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think George tried his best -- Maybe he was not as prepared at the should have been, but as a business owner I can tell you that you can never foresee everything that is to come. I have my list of complaints from the weekend, but rather sit here and dwell on them I've choosen to look forward to a better setup and smoother racing in the future.

My suggestion those that attended -- If you are unhappy with the race, take the time to write a letter or e-mail to ROAR explaining your feelings on the matter. If hundreds of voices reach out with the same complaints, perhaps a proactive approach will be taken to ensure these types of things don't happen in the future.

I know I'll be writing my e-mail concerning the event that occurred with Raul Garcia.

That's just my .02 cents.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OK... After reading the posts I've decided NOT to enter into the Roar Area 2 race in April... I don't need the bullshit or hassle... I am not one of the fast guys but like to race for fun, all that know me can verify that fact!

I had offered to help Mimi with the race but again after reading this I DON'T need or WANT the bullshit dealing with some of the racers with have a chip on their sholder. Not worth it.....

As for the blame this past weekend, I blame 95% on ROAR.
It's your god dam race, it's your god dam rules, people PAID fees to be a member so they can race there, run the god dam thing and quit blaming others for your short comings.

When ROAR "awards" they should be working with the organizors to get the program and schedule straight right from the get-go, This past race looks and sounds like a clusterf*ck and people are pissed off and they have that right, THEY PAID$$$$, can they get their $$ bck because of a poor product???

And racers, you made a choice to join ROAR, quit bitching about it and DO SOMETHING about it. bring ROAR AND IT MEMBERS ( all members )to task about what happen or it will happen again and again.
Don't like what's going on then change it. Start with the rules. Enough members get together they will listen, and if they don't then boycott ROAR races and cancel your membership, without you people they will not survive. Sure $$$$ talks and the big companies ( Trinity comes to mind real quick ) have a big sayabout the rules in ROAR, but if people don't join or show up at ROAR races, they lose $$$$and that my friends will get their attention real fast...

Cleveland and the Snowbird do not need ROAR, they have a proven track record, why can't people follow these guys leads and model their races after them?????

Seems like a simple answer to me......
Old 03-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jack Smash
Why can't ROAR have a few people to over see races, or at least give some travel money to the Regional Directors. They could still be volunteers, but with $204,234 in revenue last year and $174,137 in expenses, they could send someone.

Maybe have at least one member of the Ex-Comm at each race to oversee things.
DING DING DING, now we have a meaningful suggestion.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Nova F1 Racer, sorry to hear your gong to miss the race at Mimi's. She always puts on a great show. Her last race in January, which was governed under ROAR rules was a success with a great turnout. Hope you change your mind and I'll see you there.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by gotpez
I've been in this hobby for about 15 years now. I have attended several ROAR Nationals as well as the Snowbirds, Cleveland US Indoor Champs and other non-sanctioned national level events. Most have gone well, but all have had their problems.

The one key to a successful event seems to be the 'crew' that the race organizer puts together. The Race Director, Announcer, Tech and Track crew are what make an event work smoothly. Experience is incredibly helpful in these areas.

Preparation is critical. I think it was 1994 when JB Hobby held the ROAR 12th scale Nationals in Dayton, Ohio. I was only involved as a racer, but the planning I saw going on MONTHS in advance just on the hope of getting the event was amazing. Everybody involved was a volunteer, but they worked incredibly hard to pull off a great event.

Unfortunately, most tracks actually LOSE money on an event like this. There are many hidden costs behind the scenes, and the number of hours put in by the organizers is almost obscene.

With a National title on the block, the racers, both hobbyists and pros, get serious about the rules and pull out all the stops to win. This can put a lot of stress on everyone involved. There are technical problems, track problems and any number of other issues, this just comes with the territory. As a race official, you just need to put on your lead underwear, take the heat and be a professional.

What I would like to see from ROAR is a turnkey solution they can hand to the organizer that will allow him to put on a successful event. ROAR has been around long enough and has access to enough people who have done this, they should be able to put together a manual with specific guidelines and checklists that have been successful in the past. I very much like the idea that ROAR provide the lap counting hardware and software for the National events.

I know that ROAR is an organization made up of volunteers, but it is the primary sanctioning body in the United States. It is time to re-think how it does things and find a way to regain some respect.
Hopefully, this will be a turning point for ROAR.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Chad Phillips
What would happen if the racers just up and quit supporting ROAR.....Think about that.

we would stop having bad races..
That's a good one. But consider this, without ROAR members and ROAR, we would not have anything to bitch about.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by L.Fairtrace
Impound was laughable. Before the first race I gave them my radio. when I went to retrive it they couldnt find it and then brought me out a box of radios and asked if it was any of those. It wasnt, at that point I had to go back and find it myself. After that I didnt impound my radio becasue I didnt want to deal with the mess. Most racers that I saw didnt impound on sat or sunday either.
your right, at least you didn't have to drive 1.5 hours home only to find that you had someone elses radio and have to drive back again.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by Joneser
So, was there any Spektrums to be found at the nats? Did any of the factory guys have them in their cars and were there any problems?
Gil,Jr, Hodge and another Losi driver had Spektrum units in their cars that had been reprogramed just a short while earlier. Some of the other drivers who are sponsored by Spektrum did not have their systems in place "because the receivers could not be reprogramed in time for the nats". John Adams, the Spektrum Rep, showed up to reprogram receivers for anyone who had one. I was very thankful he did, as my system had all the normal issues. I chose to use it anyway without knowing he was going to be there because Hobby Chamber has strange glitching issues for some people. I went through three radio systems, in three seperate cars, all with different electronics (including different motors, ESC, crystals and servos) practicing at HC. That cost me hundreds of dollars in broken parts! John Adams went out of his way to track me down in the pits to do the reprograming, and we've never met or talked prior. Talk about SUPERB customer service!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by Carl Giordano
Nova F1 Racer, sorry to hear your gong to miss the race at Mimi's. She always puts on a great show. Her last race in January, which was governed under ROAR rules was a success with a great turnout. Hope you change your mind and I'll see you there.
The 2 guys that tech there did take some crap about teching certain LOCAL FAST GUYS cars ( I was standing there checking my car and the techs handled the situation better then I would have ), the LOCAL FAST GUYS ( long time racers at Mimis ) felt they knew the rules better and did not want to be bothered...

She does run a good race but she can only do so much with the current ROAR rules which *really* need to be defined so people can actually understand them.

Who knows, I may stop by to watch someof he races...
Old 03-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Jack Smash
Why can't ROAR have a few people to over see races, or at least give some travel money to the Regional Directors. They could still be volunteers, but with $204,234 in revenue last year and $174,137 in expenses, they could send someone.

Maybe have at least one member of the Ex-Comm at each race to oversee things.
There is always one memebr of the ExComm present at each race as the designated ROAR official. This past event was David Lee.

Kenny B
ROAR ExComm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.