2005 ROAR On-Road Carpet Nationals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2005 ROAR On-Road Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Kinda makes you wonder what they have to hide by not letting you know where you qualified until after they had a NIGHT to FIX things......Kinda sad a big event like this gets marred by a few individuals and their own interests or politics.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default spectators....

I was standing at the front counter trying to buy some parts (not like they had any inventory to sell) and witnessed a gentelman who was there with his wife and child being told that no spectators were allowed in the track area. The accusations being made by other here are valid and true. If you went in thru the side door you were ok but if you went in thru the main enterance you had the pervebial door slamed in your face.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Husker freak...points well understood and I know how you feel first hand. That is why I got involved. ROAR is not perfect, but at times there are decision that are made that just cant be expalined all the time. ROAR reps can be "grumpy" or seem to argue, but when you are bashed on four different sites....it does wear. As will all cases everyone is quick to point out faults...but there are things that work very well.

I know I truly don't come to argue, but explain and undertsand. A good part of the time is a misconception of what was decided and why it was applied. Internet discussion don't often allow a fair playing of the reasons or what not.

But you ask Chris Raffaelli as to what I do and I approach it. ROAR is not a waste of time....otherwise I would have given up long time ago. Frustrating as HELL....yes. A lot of people don't understand the hard postion ROAR is put into by not approving or changing rules or on the other hand of holding to rules and not changing. ROAR has been sued in the past for not approving items and have caused concern when they ave approved them.

At the last ExComm meeting 3 weeks ago I sat there stressed the need for ROAR to communicate to the members. I have taken this postion and will spearhead it through the region directors and contact here or by e-mails. Changes will be made.

ROAR is growing it is at new memebrship high for the past decade.

If you want to help and change things, step up and hold the event. Set a standard or raise the bar. You are heard, but not all things can be applied or changed to every situation.

Kenny B
Old 03-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default This is for BuddyB

Hey I talked to geotz tonight and he said that he thinks hes in the B main for 19t. Just lettin' ya know!!

p.s.- What a bummer that everyone's so upset with the track... I mean there are complaints about every race and every facility but this race seems to take the cake on the variety and severity of gripes!!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think a great model for how a nats should be done was the 2004 Paved Nats in Portland. That event was well ran, positive enviroment and track layout/looks and pits were great. People can get great info from the ones that have been there and done the event hosting.

I have raced at Omaha on their new track....it is a killer setup.

Racer Oz- we got carpet at home too you know....better get to practicing....lol

Jeff
Old 03-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well, I can tell you from my own experience as the race director here in Memphis that the FIRST new rule should be absolutely positively NO JLAP!!!!!

We wasted over $800 on that POS software and we have a computer guru that knows a good bit about many aspects of computers and software along with myself- I don't know database stuff but I'm plenty efficient on a PC and we couldn't make it two races in a row without it crashing repeatedly. I spoke with them at least once a month, update after update and still the saem crap. We even triewd it on 3 different laptops. Need I even mention the Capet Nats at the Gate last year?? Paaaleeeez!!! ROAR should endorse RC Scoring Pro and quit f*(^&ing around with letting hobby shops and tracks be tricked into purchasing worthless software.

BTW- I realize the min laptime was set wrong, but there are more issues than that- missed laps etc.

RC Scoring Pro was the best $600 investment we ever made.

And don't tell me to get involved, I'm thinking about it but my plate is already full. My daughter barely recognizes me...
Old 03-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Jeff Werner
I think a great model for how a nats should be done was the 2004 Paved Nats in Portland. That event was well ran, positive enviroment and track layout/looks and pits were great. People can get great info from the ones that have been there and done the event hosting.

I have raced at Omaha on their new track....it is a killer setup.

Racer Oz- we got carpet at home too you know....better get to practicing....lol

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the info!

Kenny B
Old 03-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
And don't tell me to get involved, I'm thinking about it but my plate is already full. My daughter barely recognizes me...
BigDogRacing....I now the feeling....my son showed by r/c car the other night and aksed if I remember how to race it. Any help even at the local level or helping the region director in propsective tracks helps.

Kenny B
Old 03-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The layout for the nats was designed by Frank Calandra. I am not enitre sure that it is an all horse power and no skill track.
raffaelli...

George asked for a suggested layout to illustrate what the "traveling" road course racer would expect to see. He gave me the dimensions of his track at 100 x 43.

Unfortunately, George had to reduce his track to 100 x 38 for visibility issues, so my design was NOT able to be used.

My design was more technical, narrower and much different. I believe my layout would have been 3 seconds slower. There are places on this track that are 12 feet wide, much too wide and open for a nats layout. My design had a 9 foot straight and sweeper and an infield with 8 foot lanes.

I don't profess to be the ultimate track designer by any means (Terry Rott is the man!), but I did try to give George an idea of what the racers were going to expect to see at a ROAR National level.

Even though the layout is more wide open than I would like to see, it still keeps the drivers on there toes. If it was up to me, it would have been much tighter and more technical. I have seen worse, much worse.... just last month in fact at another large race.

I just wanted to jump in here and clarify that I had nothing to do with the final layout that was ultimately used for the Nats. I wish it was tighter and more technical.... but... a race track it is and the best drivers are still rising to the top.

Frank
Old 03-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This track owner sounds like the kind of guy you run into at the R/C airfields. :-D

The ROAR bashing is unfortunate. First, because it takes its toll on people who are trying to make decisions for the greater good of the hobby. Those are people, like you and I, and they want to feel like their efforts are making a positive difference to the hobby we mutually love. It's fair to hold them accountable for their decisions, but doing so with sarcasm and insults isn't beneficial to anybody. Second, it's called into question the integrity of people who are well-respected in this hobby. The complaints, valid as they may be, reek of ulterior motives. Since the complaints have turned so ugly, it's hard not to think people are speaking out of personal interest rather than genuine concern. Even if that's not the case, it's the perception.

Sorry for the threadjack. If I were a ROAR decision maker, I would do whatever it takes to make sure the chosen venue for large events met certain expectations, and was run by someone who doesn't forget to take their meds.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:55 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by RichChang
2) scoring system - it would seem a quick test before qualifiers (and one that could be tested during practice) is to figure out the proper minimum lap time should be.
This one is easy. If it's Autoscore or RC Scoring Pro, it's fine. If it's JLap, the track should not be allowed to host a race with more than 3 entries, since that's about all JCrap can handle before it blows up.

Last year's carpet nats were F'd by JLap, and now it's back to back. The reason people screw up things with the software is because it's so godawful and buggy that it takes a PhD to use the thing, and even then it's hit or miss. Plus in my dealings with them in the past, they were complete a-holes, and were very confrontational with us--paying customers!

We were another club that paid for JLap, suffered for two years, and then went to RC Scoring Pro, which is an absolute dream in comparison. JCrap should be banned from ANY national race, period.

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Well, I can tell you from my own experience as the race director here in Memphis that the FIRST new rule should be absolutely positively NO JLAP!!!!!
Amen!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Updated with Top 10 qualifiers for each class.

http://www.rcamerica.com/media/showa...hp?articleID=9
Old 03-19-2005, 09:59 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Thanks David, you guys rock.

I love the smoking car, that's nice.

Paul Ciccarello in the mod A main, nice run Paul! Same to Fernando! I can't even remember the last time a Tamiya made a mod main at the nationals in the US (while being routinely dominant everywhere else in the world).
Old 03-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Tech Addict

Now if we can just teach Dumas to focus the pics that would be great I miss your coverage, however RCAmerica is putting together a system to cover the races we attend.

Pretty amazing to have Dumas TQ two classes and still get the time to do some reporting.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What is the Big Deal about Allowing Brushless Motors in the "OPEN MOD" Class? Why are 3700's NOT LEGAL in the Modified Class? I believe Mod should be Mod And Be Done With it. It's Kind of like. If Your Not One of the Big dogs getting 3700's in 3300 Shrink Or even just the Killer Batts You Don't have a chance In Hell.
I am Trying to move up to Modified from Stock to get away from the Advantage the Sponsored guys Have and the only Prayer I have in making run Time is 3700's, but They are not Legal.
Hate to sound Like a Whiner.
P.S. The Hobby Chamber Would Not Cut it as a Gas Chamber.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.