Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

http://quantumracing-rc.blogspot.com...mount-for.html
Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by martinskarin
I always use 2mm shims under the top of the front shocks to make them in a straigh angle.
What I mean is putting 2mm under all the shocks both up and down, except front up where to put 4mm to keep them straight. This makes the car more easy to drive but makes the turning radious larger thus not suitable for a too tight track but on a larger one it is nice.
I have used the shims at the top of the shock to smooth a car out etc, but difference do you find adding the shims at the bottom?
Do you ever use shims at the top of the rear shocks and what difference did that make.

Skiddins
Old 05-16-2013, 02:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I have used the shims at the top of the shock to smooth a car out etc, but difference do you find adding the shims at the bottom?
Do you ever use shims at the top of the rear shocks and what difference did that make.

Skiddins
I did not test only top shims at the rear, only both up and down all around at the same time. The difference is that the car feels calmer and easier to drive but the turning radious seems to be larger.

I tried the 2mm shim all around from reading something Alex wrote about it and I liked it for our large outdoor track but on the smaller indoor it do not work well.

EDIT, here is a link to that thread.
http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic....im+under+shock

Last edited by martinskarin; 05-16-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 AM
Tech Addict

Skiddins
a guy at amcc ran his t2 with 2mm at the rear top and said it gave him more rear grip,he beat his pb that day,must try it to see whatll happen,i did the front,i started with a 2mm shim ,im up to 3mm now it made the car smoother and i did my pb that day too,still a lap down on keiran though
Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by martinskarin
I did not test only top shims at the rear, only both up and down all around at the same time. The difference is that the car feels calmer and easier to drive but the turning radious seems to be larger.

I tried the 2mm shim all around from reading something Alex wrote about it and I liked it for our large outdoor track but on the smaller indoor it do not work well.

EDIT, here is a link to that thread.
http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic....im+under+shock
But did you ever try just front shims only?
I have used them myself and noticed the difference, but only ever at the front.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
a guy at amcc ran his t2 with 2mm at the rear top and said it gave him more rear grip,he beat his pb that day,must try it to see whatll happen,i did the front,i started with a 2mm shim ,im up to 3mm now it made the car smoother and i did my pb that day too,still a lap down on keiran though
That's why I've been asking about them.
I can 'tune' a bodyshell with the front shims, but are the rear shims a less effective addition, or just grip as you say etc.

Adding rear grip seems great, but it's the balance between front and back that gives quick laps.
Too much rear and you lose turn in.

Skiddins
Old 05-16-2013, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
I certainly think it'll help since the shock will be straight up and down and not on an angle, haven't tried it but I'm going to when I'm out on asphalt every week and not switching between carpet and asphalt.
And a T2 and T4 are 2 totally different cars, but I'm sure it will have the same effect in theory but maybe not even close in the real world.
Sometimes what changing a setting is supposed to do, doesn't even come close. That's why I try to change as much as I can and sometimes go to extremes before finding whats best for me
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

But did you ever try just front shims only?
I have used them myself and noticed the difference, but only ever at the front.
Nope did not have the chance to try that. If I get a day without rain this weekend I'll try it tho.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

That's why I've been asking about them.
I can 'tune' a bodyshell with the front shims, but are the rear shims a less effective addition, or just grip as you say etc.

Adding rear grip seems great, but it's the balance between front and back that gives quick laps.
Too much rear and you lose turn in.

Skiddins
yeah rear grip is a loose term,im guessing here but it leaned his shock back as i think in standard form on the t2 that there already straight up,so would that have softened the rear? hence the better grip from the rear,it didnt seem to lose steering,when i added the 3mm to the front i cant really say what it has done as the grip had come up by then which made my car a lot better anyway,but it felt easier to get it on the right line,more precise and a tenth quicker but as always at amcc as soon as your off line the track is dirty and your playing catch up,i still struggle when the grip is low,so i try to get down in the week when the grip is low to try to find a better low grip setting,im still getting to grips with the t4 so im just driving it at the mo once i have the consistency then i can look for the faster laps
Old 05-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default FOR SALE T4.

If anyone is interested I have a new in the box T4 for sale. Also comes with new in the package diff gear and Xray aluminum steering post arms. Check it out in the for sale thread. PM for photos and info. Thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Coming from a tcxx im very impressed with the car 2nd day of testing and its awesome. Very consistent, easy to drive, and actually rolls!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I've been building my shocks like this for a few weeks. Thought I'd share as I've had several people at my track lately ask me about building shocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlTXJ...ature=youtu.be

Ignore my goofs. I did it all in my first take and didn't notice I was saying o-ring instead of bladder and so on. I'm hoping it makes sense in context.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys,
I am totally lost setup-wise. I hope you can help me.
Im running on a small and rather tight asphalt track with low to medium traction.

My setup:
Base asphalt exept for
1mm rollcenter spacers on the bulkheads instead of 2 mm (front and rear)
rear shocks in hole 3
0,5 degrees of arm sweep front
Protoform Mazda Speed 6 body (LTCR already ordered)
Ride Re32
17,5t boosted or 10,5t

My problem:
I just dont have enough traction.
Loose rear end on corner exit, massive understeer through fast corners, slight understeer in medium speed corners and massive understeer in slow corners entry to middle.
I also drove a Tamiya teamdriver's car and his 417 v5 was just that much better so its not the trackconditions in general. He didn't even use the raceberry conversion kit

Tried a lot of stuff already, nothing really worked. So please help me. Any ideas are welcome

Regards,
David
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niemand
Hey guys,
Im running on a small and rather tight asphalt track with low to medium traction.

My setup:
Base asphalt exept for
rear shocks in hole 3
Ride Re32
17,5t boosted or 10,5t

My problem:
Loose rear end on corner exit, massive understeer through fast corners, slight understeer in medium speed corners and massive understeer in slow corners entry to middle.
I also drove a Tamiya teamdriver's car and his 417 v5 was just that much better so its not the trackconditions in general. He didn't even use the raceberry conversion kit

Tried a lot of stuff already, nothing really worked. So please help me. Any ideas are welcome

Regards,
David
Could try;
Thinner roll bars
Get rid of arm sweep
Different springs, progressives all round etc.
0mm on rear upper link will help rear traction but might reduce steering.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niemand
Hey guys,

My setup:
Base asphalt exept for
rear shocks in hole 3
Ride Re32
17,5t boosted or 10,5t

My problem:

Regards,
David
Check droop, ride height and shocks. Just sounds weird being loose on corner exit and push on fast corners since most of the time they're both on throttle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.