Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
We will more than likely release a set of universal slotted shims sometime early next year. However, in the meantime Spec R R1 shims work just fine, which is what I use.
Hey Christian, I got the new RX4 v2 kit in on Friday and just finished building the car. The instruction sheet gives recommended toe block inserts, but nothing on the rest of the setup like shock oil, springs, shock position, etc..... Do you have recommendations or do you suggest stock setup on everything. I have a friend that got the original rx4 and I was able to drive a full second a lap faster with it as compared to my stock setup t4. Thanks for any advice for a starting point!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Been following the RX4 info as I am on the fence with this purchase as well. I love to hear the reports on how it has changed peoples cars. For me, every aftermarket chassis that says it is faster...hasn't been. Keep these success stories coming as it will help make decisions!

For me, my car has one bad tendency that I think is making it hard for me to drive. It seems that As I exit the corner the car is still in the corner (if that makes sense) Almost as if it is still rotating as as I come into the straight and it gets kinda twitchy.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Meradin
Been following the RX4 info as I am on the fence with this purchase as well. I love to hear the reports on how it has changed peoples cars. For me, every aftermarket chassis that says it is faster...hasn't been. Keep these success stories coming as it will help make decisions!

For me, my car has one bad tendency that I think is making it hard for me to drive. It seems that As I exit the corner the car is still in the corner (if that makes sense) Almost as if it is still rotating as as I come into the straight and it gets kinda twitchy.
Sounds like the front shock dampening is too heavy, or the rear sway bar too thick (assuming, of course, that there's no binding in the steering rack or C-hubs). If the car is sliding while completing the turn, I'd consider a lighter rear bar (or removing it altogether in extreme cases). If the car seems like it's slow returning to center, try dropping the shock oil by 50-100 cst in the front, and see if there's an improvement.

Last edited by oeoeo327; 12-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Because it's easy to change I would normally try a harder front spring for this. If that doesn't work well for me I go back to the spring I had and change something else. I'm often not good enough to tell the difference between small oil changes so I tend to leave those alone unless something big needs to change.

As for the RX4 I have I can't say for certain that it's flat out faster but I do feel like it's got a big tuning window which is good for me. It's certainly at least as fast as the stock setup in the conditions I've used it and I do like how precise it fits the arms. Given my choice to run this or the stock setup I'm running the RX4.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Thanks! I like large windows as I am not good enough to notice the fine changes as well.

To be more clear, it just seems like stated above, the car is slow to return to center, like it is stuck in the turn and I need to correct the car when it does settle. By then I am half way down the straight and have lost ground.

I had the fastest lap time but still came in 2nd as the car was a handful and a bit inconsistent.

I love the handling in the rest of the track though which is why I feel reluctant to make drastic changes. Just gotta drive it more.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks! I like large windows as I am not good enough to notice the fine changes as well.

To be more clear, it just seems like stated above, the car is slow to return to center, like it is stuck in the turn and I need to correct the car when it does settle. By then I am half way down the straight and have lost ground.

I had the fastest lap time but still came in 2nd as the car was a handful and a bit inconsistent.

I love the handling in the rest of the track though which is why I feel reluctant to make drastic changes. Just gotta drive it more.
I've found that typically, in that situation, the weight has shifted to the rear through the corner and the springs are too soft, so the weight stays over the rear as the power is applied out of the corner.
Try standing the rear shocks up and possible stiffer rear springs.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

as above then reduce the amount the the rear rolls ,add 1mm to the inner rear camber link,i had the same problem this weekend and thats what sorted it for me,it was as if it was over loading the left rear then as soon as i got on the power it would step out
i also went up on the front droop to 6 on the blocks from 5 to get back some on power steering
Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

I haven't got any springs to tune with. I might try just adding a spacer as that is something I have on hand.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1AGOFST
Hey Christian, I got the new RX4 v2 kit in on Friday and just finished building the car. The instruction sheet gives recommended toe block inserts, but nothing on the rest of the setup like shock oil, springs, shock position, etc..... Do you have recommendations or do you suggest stock setup on everything. I have a friend that got the original rx4 and I was able to drive a full second a lap faster with it as compared to my stock setup t4. Thanks for any advice for a starting point!
I've been running 2.5 springs front and rear, 400cst 4x1.1 front, 350cst 4x1.1 rear, shocks all in the 3-hole on the towers, long wheelbase.... And the car has been fast!

A lot of the other setup points will depend on your traction level. At our high-bite track i've been running the front arms pretty low, longer camber links, and lots of uptravel.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I've found that typically, in that situation, the weight has shifted to the rear through the corner and the springs are too soft, so the weight stays over the rear as the power is applied out of the corner.
Try standing the rear shocks up and possible stiffer rear springs.
That's what I was thinking (just had that issue on Wednesday night, and it was fixed by standing up the rear shock and going to thicker shock oil). I couldn't think of quite as good a way to explain it, though. I also think of it like, because the rear of the car is soft and it's a wee bit pushy, it doesn't gently push out to finish the corner like you want it to, so you hold the steering turned longer, and over-rotate the car. With the rear a little stiffer, it will come around better as you get into the throttle, letting you straighten the steering sooner and giving a smoother corner exit. Or something like that.

I haven't got any springs to tune with. I might try just adding a spacer as that is something I have on hand.
Shock angle might be enough. Did I miss a link to your setup at some point?

-Mike
Old 12-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
Because it's easy to change I would normally try a harder front spring for this. If that doesn't work well for me I go back to the spring I had and change something else. I'm often not good enough to tell the difference between small oil changes so I tend to leave those alone unless something big needs to change.

As for the RX4 I have I can't say for certain that it's flat out faster but I do feel like it's got a big tuning window which is good for me. It's certainly at least as fast as the stock setup in the conditions I've used it and I do like how precise it fits the arms. Given my choice to run this or the stock setup I'm running the RX4.

Has any body else run the rx4 back to back with the t4, had a little bit of running, and found the car was very soft.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I just ordered the rx4 conversion for my t4 13 hopefully it's worth the money
Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Madman1
Well I just ordered the rx4 conversion for my t4 13 hopefully it's worth the money
I think it is. I just got mine installed and I can tell it increased my rear traction and the suspension is free.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madman1
You won't be dissapointed. Order a set of the spec r roll center spacers to shim up the blocks...they will make life a lot simpler for you rather than trying to use shims!
Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

I ran mine in the carpet today. Carpet conditions were not optimal. Tires were picking up gunk after a few minutes into the run making the car loose. Anyway, I ran 2.5 front 2.3 rear 35w associated front
30W associated rear. 1mm under front block .5mm under block rear the car felt real fast with plenty of steering. Had to dial out to 87% , the car was very consistent until the tires gunk out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.