Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Old 12-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

So, who has gone the RX4 route and have a 2014 car. Do you see an improvement in the 2014 over the RX4?

What do you think is better about the 2014 or RX4?

I planned to buy a 2014 in the spring to run outdoor and would move my current RX4 car to my backup/spare car. I'm curious if it's worth getting one now or not.

Thanks,
Old 12-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
So, who has gone the RX4 route and have a 2014 car. Do you see an improvement in the 2014 over the RX4?

I planned to buy a 2014 in the spring to run outdoor and would move my current RX4 car to my backup/spare car. I'm curious if it's worth getting one now or not.

Thanks,
spencehotbodies on here has done the conversion,but i dont know how well he got on with it or how much he has raced it
Old 12-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
spencehotbodies on here has done the conversion,but i dont know how well he got on with it or how much he has raced it
He's done a few races at one meeting, but he doesn't have a T4'14.

I have the RX4 conversion and the '14, but the RX4 is now my wet car so I can't directly compare.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Why would anyone want a RX4 over a 14?
The 14 has way more setup options with its inserts (289 actually per corner) and thats just inserts only .
Not to mention setup help from the fast crowd
Old 12-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
The 14 has way more setup options with its inserts (289 actually per corner) and thats just inserts only .
Cost and hassle to get get a '14 over just sticking with what you have.

Plus, the RX4 inserts combined with the option to shim the blocks leaves a ton of options. Certainly enough for my mind to be happy trying to figure out. 289 options is about 271 more than I think I'll ever be willing or have the time to play with.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks,
Troy, I have a few guys locally that have both. Lap time wise they are virtually identical, however they drive slightly different. The RX4 has a little more steering in the middle of the corner and the 2014 stays a little flatter. This is probably due to the narrower chassis on the RX4.

Th 2014 is a fantastic car, but if you want to bring new life to your 2013 and save a little money our RX4V2 is a great alternative.

As for help, you can always drop by our thread and I will try to answer with the best of my knowledge what you may need.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
The RX4 has tons of setup options itself. Its inserts have basically 8 different settings (4 dots which can be turned either way for 8 toie settings) and then you just shim up the blocks if you want to change roll center heights.

I admit, I had the hardest time shimming up the blocks because I didn't really figure out the trick to doing them. Now it's super easy to to just insert a 2mm shim or a 1mm shim or a .5mm, whichever.

Also, some of us don't like buying the newest car each year and don't mind running the latest and greatest.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

I'm sorry I was referring to converting a 14 to a RX4.
I am currently converting my 13 to a 14 but I also have another 14 also so it only made since to do this vs rx4.
But we also had one local with a rx4/"13" that had issues from day one with tweak he could check it 50 times and it was never the same . think he found a bent aluminum part but by then he done gave up on it .
Old 12-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hyujmn
The RX4 has tons of setup options itself. Its inserts have basically 8 different settings (4 dots which can be turned either way for 8 toie settings) and then you just shim up the blocks if you want to change roll center heights.

I admit, I had the hardest time shimming up the blocks because I didn't really figure out the trick to doing them. Now it's super easy to to just insert a 2mm shim or a 1mm shim or a .5mm, whichever.

Also, some of us don't like buying the newest car each year and don't mind running the latest and greatest.
I'm with ya . tho I don't like the idea of shimming the mounts up it makes for a tweak or shift if u have a wreck which is very common at our track .
Old 12-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Christian, will there be shim inserts made in the future?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

We will more than likely release a set of universal slotted shims sometime early next year. However, in the meantime Spec R R1 shims work just fine, which is what I use.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Christian.

I'm currently running the RX4v1 and I like it but there are other minor changes to the '14 which is why I was asking. And, most times I don't have alot of track time to play with setup so it's always nice to have something that seems to work well right out of the gate or have someone who you can borrow a setup from.

I did run on the same track, same layout, again today as last week. I didn't make a single change to the car but a fast friend of mine showed up to run which put some heat into my driving trying to keep up with him. My times definitely picked up purely from having to push harder to stay with him which was really nice to see. The current setup on the RX4 worked really well for me on most of the track. I think I may need to figure something out in the fast chicane section where the car can load up on the front some and get in too deep if I'm not very careful there. Otherwise it's easy to drive with plenty of steering and a fairly stable rear.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think I may need to figure something out in the fast chicane section where the car can load up on the front some and get in too deep if I'm not very careful there. Otherwise it's easy to drive with plenty of steering and a fairly stable rear.
Meaning it gets tail happy in the chicane? If so I've always moved to thicker diff oil in the rear 2-3k or maybe try a front diff with 2.5 million oil.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

For the chicane, I would also try less front droop, slightly stiffer front springs and heavier oil all around. Any of the adjustments or the combination of some can get you what you want. Easiest thing is the droop though, so that is where I would start.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by erchn
Meaning it gets tail happy in the chicane? If so I've always moved to thicker diff oil in the rear 2-3k or maybe try a front diff with 2.5 million oil.
Yes, it's a fast switch back chicane. If I hit it perfect the car is good but a couple inches off and the extra steering input to get back online and the car loads up on the front and pitches the rear too much scrubbing speed. I'd love to just hit it perfectly every time but that's not going to happen so I'd like to have the car as good as possible to make up for the driver.

I've already got 3k in the rear and I've been unable to try the front diff because I broke the spec-r version I have and have not fixed it yet. I can't quite think of the motions that the diff will go through to even this out but it's certainly worth a try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.