R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #5056
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
That's all track dependent. I run 3.7 to 4.05 depending on layout. I would check on thst spur that you bought. The Xray's use an offset spur gear. Not to say that the kimborough wouldn't work but I have never tried one.
Ahh crap.

Thanks for the other responses guys.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #5057
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Hey Guys

I just picked up a 2nd hand T4 and will be running 21.5 blinky class.

I know I need an FDR between 3.00 to 3.5, so I went and ordered a 38t Pinion and a 69t Spur Kimbrough spur.

it was only afterwards I should probably ask one here haha, so what gearing should I be looking at for 21.5 blinky?

Sorry if this has been asked before I did a search for 21.5 but nothing specific came up.
Cloaked,

FDR will also be impacted by the track you run at and the motor choice.

I see you are in Sydney. I run a T4 in 21.5 at SMA (Tempe) and use a 48 pitch, 64T Spur with a 43T pinion which gives you a 2.83 FDR – that is running a Reedy (V1) motor. Other guys will run lower gearing with an FDR around 3.2 if running a motor such as a Tekin Gen2 which prefers to rev more. There is usually a "sweet spot" combination of FDR and static timing for each motor.

Two things you will need to be careful with;

1. Do not put too much timing on the can itself if you intend on running the ridiculous gearing we are using. (At the NSW State Titles on the weekend, one of the drivers was running an FDR of 2.2 with no timing on the can – not a T4 though). Then temp check after 2 minutes and adjust as required.

2. Take care that the pinion does not foul on the motor mount screws. There’s not much room between the top deck on one side and the motor mount screws on the other. I believe this has been addressed with the recessed motor mount in the T4 ’14.

Not sure about the Kimbrough spur. I usually use Xray or RW Racing. Northern Beaches Hobby Centre (NBHC) and Powerhouse Performance both race at and sponsor SMA and will help with parts.

If you get to SMA come and see the seniors running T4’s – we will be happy to assist. You will find the guys at Castle Hill and Riverstone will also be very helpful. Riverstone is a smaller tighter track and gearing will be significantly shorter – and it’s usually cool inside so they run hotter tires.

Cheers, Brent
Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #5058
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR TOO View Post
Cloaked,

FDR will also be impacted by the track you run at and the motor choice.

I see you are in Sydney. I run a T4 in 21.5 at SMA (Tempe) and use a 48 pitch, 64T Spur with a 43T pinion which gives you a 2.83 FDR – that is running a Reedy (V1) motor. Other guys will run lower gearing with an FDR around 3.2 if running a motor such as a Tekin Gen2 which prefers to rev more. There is usually a "sweet spot" combination of FDR and static timing for each motor.

Two things you will need to be careful with;

1. Do not put too much timing on the can itself if you intend on running the ridiculous gearing we are using. (At the NSW State Titles on the weekend, one of the drivers was running an FDR of 2.2 with no timing on the can – not a T4 though). Then temp check after 2 minutes and adjust as required.

2. Take care that the pinion does not foul on the motor mount screws. There’s not much room between the top deck on one side and the motor mount screws on the other. I believe this has been addressed with the recessed motor mount in the T4 ’14.

Not sure about the Kimbrough spur. I usually use Xray or RW Racing. Northern Beaches Hobby Centre (NBHC) and Powerhouse Performance both race at and sponsor SMA and will help with parts.

If you get to SMA come and see the seniors running T4’s – we will be happy to assist. You will find the guys at Castle Hill and Riverstone will also be very helpful. Riverstone is a smaller tighter track and gearing will be significantly shorter – and it’s usually cool inside so they run hotter tires.

Cheers, Brent
Thanks for the info Brent

I was actually at SMA on Tuesday, I bought Nathans old T4.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #5059
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Thanks for the info Brent

I was actually at SMA on Tuesday, I bought Nathans old T4.
My pleasure.

I sit with Hotrod1933 who posted above, however I will be absent next Tuesday due to family commitments.

Interestingly, Hotrod's post and your response were not on the page when I posted my response - must have been lurking in the ether.

Nathan's car is an excellent purchase. To say he is fussy would be an understatement.

Cheers, Brent
Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #5060
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR TOO View Post
My pleasure.

I sit with Hotrod1933 who posted above, however I will be absent next Tuesday due to family commitments.

Interestingly, Hotrod's post and your response were not on the page when I posted my response - must have been lurking in the ether.

Nathan's car is an excellent purchase. To say he is fussy would be an understatement.

Cheers, Brent
Thanks Again.

As a backup I jsut ordered a RWracing 68t Spur from a guy in Queensland and Ill order some pinions to play around with.

Still awaiting for all my electronics to arrive and even then I probably wont be racing for a while.

But will definietely come down and say Hi at SMA,
Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #5061
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

CSO T4 Conversion Kit
Attached Thumbnails
The New Xray T4 '13-cso-v22014-o.jpg   The New Xray T4 '13-cso-v22014-o-1.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #5062
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Figure I should build my T4 that's been sitting in the dust since I didn't get a chance to race last year.

Any out of the box mods required to make this noob's first touring car bulletproof?
jjjheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #5063
Tech Adept

Figure I should build my T4 that's been sitting in the dust since I didn't get a chance to race last year.

Any out of the box mods required to make this noob's first touring car bulletproof?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #5064
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjheimer View Post

Spare spool cups maybe. Mine came with a T3 hard foam bumper and t3 bumper tubey things, and I haven't broken anything. I don't crash often anymore, but I had some good hits learning the ropes in mod this summer. It's a tough car. Oh, and you probably want to trim the axles so they don't stick out so much.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #5065
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

G'day,

I've just upgraded from a T3'12 to an original T4. Is the gear diff from the T3 different to the one for the front of a T4? The assembly seems narrower on the T4 but I don't know if it's the diff itself or the bearings or the bearing holders.

Thanks - Ken
lipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #5066
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

plastic bearing holders only are different. diff and bearings are the same.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #5067
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Thanks mate - that makes sense.
lipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #5068
Tech Adept

Here's a dumb question.. how do I thread the lower shock ball end onto the headless screw I put into the lower arm?

I've been staring at the manual and the car for 20 minutes and I can't figure it out.

Do you guys threadlock the upper shock mount that screw onto the body mount piece?

I also don't understand when they say "Lower pivot ball has an extra shoulder" - can someone (gently) explain in a little more detail?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jjjheimer; 10-19-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #5069
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

The ball has a 3mm hex on the no flat side.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #5070
Tech Rookie

really good...
Ezat Hj Ramli is offline   Reply With Quote