Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bishop
Front diff almost always makes the car easier to drive, probably because it's more forgiving on cornering lines, another reason I like it, though there are times on rubbers you really need the drive of the spool.

I drive on foams all the time at our club, specific class we run on foam tyres, lots of grip any time, no warmers, no traction compounds needed, good fun.
It was night and day difference, totally different car to drive after dialling out the oversteer.

I could really push the car everywhere on our high bite track (we run additive on our foams).

So much so that my reactions on the last qualifying run got overly confident, massive speed into the right 90 degree bend from our long straight, I flew out of the double doors of our indoor venue and lost about 8 seconds.... marshal!

Was a great drive though even with the big off, easily put me into the back end of the A main for qualifying.

Climbed to 3rd but my nerves and a brand new rubbing shell put be back down to where I started (5th).

Just when I got to the end of my tether with the new car (various niggles), and on its 4th time out it delivered a good starting point for me to build on.

3 year old Tekin Gen 1 Redline motor, max timing, brand new gens ace 65c lipo, I had more than enough power everywhere.

The motor came off warm without a fan, so that'll be my near future investment to push a little more power/gear ratio out of it.

All good!

Being new to gear diffs, this was a real eye opener after a long time of rebuilding it. (new seals and 500,000 Hudy oil up front).
Old 10-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by morgoth
Sweet
Does it come with close layshaft bulkheads?
And 52mm front shafts?
Yes on both

Originally Posted by hotrod1933
And what belts ??
Black ones. Same as the T4.

Originally Posted by RCknight
I hope productions pieces are a little more rounded and sleek. The rear front holders look like bricks. It seems Xray has been cutting more corners with their machining. I sure liked the bevel touches back in the day. I really like the Yoke BD7 toe blocks and their low profile steering.
Sorry to disappoint you, but that's a production kit. Atleast the blocks are bulletproof
The machining and overall quality couldn't be any better IMHO.
Only thing they could have done is to put a fix for the bumper issue in the kit. All they did about that was to use a stiffer foam piece.

Regards,
David
Old 10-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So, anyone have reviews on the rx4 rsd chassis conversion? It's sounding like a gear diff up front is an investment I'll end up wanting, running on our indoor carpet tracks.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38
So, anyone have reviews on the rx4 rsd chassis conversion? It's sounding like a gear diff up front is an investment I'll end up wanting, running on our indoor carpet tracks.
I've been running the chassis conversion. Has a ton of steering, to the point where I've been trying to get rid of steering on the high traction layout I was running on. Otherwise, pretty good setup... the inserts fit very snuggley, there is no real play in it. I have found that after tightening everything down the arms will bind slightly on the shims, so you'll have to play with shimming and re-adjusting the pivot mounts from the bottom of the chassis once or twice. The real annoying thing right now is getting standard shims under the bulkheads to adjust roll center, but Cristian from Reflex said they are coming out with shims like the VBC to make it easier.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuruption
I've been running the chassis conversion. Has a ton of steering, to the point where I've been trying to get rid of steering on the high traction layout I was running on. Otherwise, pretty good setup... the inserts fit very snuggley, there is no real play in it. I have found that after tightening everything down the arms will bind slightly on the shims, so you'll have to play with shimming and re-adjusting the pivot mounts from the bottom of the chassis once or twice. The real annoying thing right now is getting standard shims under the bulkheads to adjust roll center, but Cristian from Reflex said they are coming out with shims like the VBC to make it easier.
You can probably use the spec r shims since the mounts look identical to the spec r r1 mounts, if you don't mind the red.
http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=417
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey folks,

I'm running a new (to me) T4 '13 (coming from an AE TC6) and ran it for the first time yesterday in VTA. The car overall worked very well, but I've got a couple things I'd like to improve upon and would like to ask for the suggestions of those who have more "tuning time" with these cars.

The car turns in great, but can get a bit tail happy on corner entry. In the middle of the corner through corner exit it has a tendency to push. Neither of these handling traits are significant and I was able to drive around them, but they could be improved upon.

For the push I was thinking of maybe limiting my front droop a bit to keep the front loaded under acceleration. But I'm also running a spool. Maybe a gear diff would help, but I would first like to try tuning with the spool since the gear diffs are rather pricey. Thoughts?

Any suggestions on how to settle the car a bit on corner entry while not making the mid-to-corner-exit push worse?

Thanks in advance,
Tommy
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Hey folks,

I'm running a new (to me) T4 '13 (coming from an AE TC6) and ran it for the first time yesterday in VTA. The car overall worked very well, but I've got a couple things I'd like to improve upon and would like to ask for the suggestions of those who have more "tuning time" with these cars.

The car turns in great, but can get a bit tail happy on corner entry. In the middle of the corner through corner exit it has a tendency to push. Neither of these handling traits are significant and I was able to drive around them, but they could be improved upon.

For the push I was thinking of maybe limiting my front droop a bit to keep the front loaded under acceleration. But I'm also running a spool. Maybe a gear diff would help, but I would first like to try tuning with the spool since the gear diffs are rather pricey. Thoughts?

Any suggestions on how to settle the car a bit on corner entry while not making the mid-to-corner-exit push worse?

Thanks in advance,
Tommy
increase rear droop and add 1mm shim to the inner rear camber links,also try a heavier than the front shock oil in the rear , i use 400 f and 450 r,i run on tarmac onroad though
post a set up sheet as that will get a few more responces

Last edited by chasingthepack; 10-07-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
increase rear droop and add 1mm shim to the inner rear camber links,also try a heavier than the front shock oil in the rear , i use 400 f and 450 r,i run on tarmac onroad though
post a set up sheet as that will get a few more responces
Will this will slow down the weight transfer between front and back for him? (which sounds like what he needs to do..) It sounds like it is transferring weight to the front (on corner entry) to fast then when his going back on the throttle it is transferring to the back to fast.. Just trying to learn...
Old 10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Hey folks,

Thanks in advance,
Tommy
Question, is the rear fine until you turn the wheel to much? What if you give a it bit of throttle, does that settle down the rear? If so you have the car just right... just need to learn to drive it.... But really... if you watch the better drivers, you will see the rear is a bit loose until they pull on the trigger... and this is by design, so they are rote around the corner faster. The hard part is the learning to pull the trigger before it get to sideways...
Old 10-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Will this will slow down the weight transfer between front and back for him? (which sounds like what he needs to do..) It sounds like it is transferring weight to the front (on corner entry) to fast then when his going back on the throttle it is transferring to the back to fast.. Just trying to learn...
yes,it smooths out the weight transfer so the rear doesnt snatch and go light,adding the extra 1mm shim to the camber link will allow the rear to roll a little more generating more side bite
another thing to try would be around 3000cst rear diff oil as this will most likely cure the on power push
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

What is everyone using the gear diff for in the front again? What are the symptoms where this would make it better?

I'm still trying to decide on the chassis conversion..
Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38
What is everyone using the gear diff for in the front again? What are the symptoms where this would make it better?

I'm still trying to decide on the chassis conversion..
2.5 mil from Gravity RC at the bottom of the page. If you are looking for a more steering, less push when you get on throttle.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

I assume then, I need to buy all the parts seperate for a xray gear diff?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

No, the complete kit is part number XRA304900. For front diff you want to use the steel outdrives too so, XRA304971. However, the cheapest route would be to have one assembled by Paul himself. $100 assembled, vs $120+/- buying all the stuff yourself. http://www.teamgravityrc.com/store1/...23&id=27600989
Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Hey guys, I'm looking to run an 8.5 in my T4. Anyone got any suggestions on where to start for gearing? Track is 96' x 48' carpet. My 17.5 car is geared 96/51 if that helps any.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.