R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #4756
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Really? How about run it before doing so, see what times you get. Then put them in to see if you really feel a difference.

Logic has no place in toy car racing ... lol
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #4757
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Hey guys. What are the latest setups you all have found to be working in regards to spring and shock oils??? Most setups are softening the car up from kit springs compared to the stiff setups of the t3. Also seeing a lot of setup sheets with thicker rear oil than front. Anyone want to elaborate so I can further my knowledge with this car? Thank you!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #4758
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The only parts I've really worn are blades and belts in mod. In my old stock car all I wore were tires.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #4759
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

How much of a difference does running upper/lower diff positions make? Pretty much every setup sheet I've seen has upper front/lower rear diff positions.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #4760
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
How much of a difference does running upper/lower diff positions make? Pretty much every setup sheet I've seen has upper front/lower rear diff positions.
I can't tell any difference

Lower is supposed to give more traction but if there is a difference it's tiny.

It's more important to use the adjusters to get the belt tensions right, which in my case means the diffs are actually closer to the centre anyway
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #4761
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prodigy View Post
Hey guys. What are the latest setups you all have found to be working in regards to spring and shock oils??? Most setups are softening the car up from kit springs compared to the stiff setups of the t3. Also seeing a lot of setup sheets with thicker rear oil than front. Anyone want to elaborate so I can further my knowledge with this car? Thank you!
I seem to recall Hagberg saying that the stiffer rear oil is supposed to help with stability through chicanes etc.
Someone tried it on medium carpet at my club and didn't like it. He was faster when he changed it back.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #4762
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I lowered mine among some other tweaks at an event during the weekend, did feel like it created an improvement, but then with the other changes maybe I imagined it, either way it did not hurt anything so I'll leave it like that.

My past weekend was fun, first time racing mod, I was average at best, but I liked the T4, actually had a couple of big traction rolls, which surprised me in mod, good car, the in part Hagberg setup I threw on the car worked nice, ended up with different springs though, but really the Panaracer tyres I got from a fellow racer were epic.

I may have the mod bug now (speed...), though I'm dropping back to stock come the state champs next month...
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #4763
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
What's the wear like for those that have ran week in week out since the car came out,
More the high cost things like diff out drives and drive shafts,
Thanks
Ran mine all season, sometimes three days a week. Replaced the rear blades a few times (if you replace them before they get too sloppy it reduces the wear on the outdrives). Replaced the front spool outdrives once (these are a cheap enough part as they're plastic). And replaced some of the wheel bearings.

Everything else is original It's nice that paying a bit more up-front reduces the ongoing costs. The car really is bullet-proof and fantastically engineered.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #4764
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I can't tell any difference

Lower is supposed to give more traction but if there is a difference it's tiny.

It's more important to use the adjusters to get the belt tensions right, which in my case means the diffs are actually closer to the centre anyway
Agreed. The belts are too tight in the rear and too loose for the front belt. I end up running mine around center as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #4765
reg
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Ran mine all season, sometimes three days a week. Replaced the rear blades a few times (if you replace them before they get too sloppy it reduces the wear on the outdrives). Replaced the front spool outdrives once (these are a cheap enough part as they're plastic). And replaced some of the wheel bearings.

Everything else is original It's nice that paying a bit more up-front reduces the ongoing costs. The car really is bullet-proof and fantastically engineered.
Wow that's a lot of run time
Brilliant feed back and follows what everyone else is saying,

Do people think the new parts that will come on the T4 2014 will be available to buy and update a 2013 car?
reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #4766
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
Wow that's a lot of run time
Brilliant feed back and follows what everyone else is saying,

Do people think the new parts that will come on the T4 2014 will be available to buy and update a 2013 car?
If the "rumor mill" holds true, you'll need a new chassis plate and the hingepin blocks. Other items of note have been white belts (may be black in production) and the new option enclosed layshaft bulkheads (available now).

Other than that I'd guess it'll be the same car.

Reflex Racing will be releasing a T4 chassis that uses the same style hingepin mounts so you could also "update" your 2013 car that way
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #4767
Tech Master

Could u use play doh in gear diff (front) if so would it be thicker than 500k. Any suggestions on what i could use without having to order offline and not ruin the diff
rosko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #4768
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
If the "rumor mill" holds true, you'll need a new chassis plate and the hingepin blocks. Other items of note have been white belts (may be black in production) and the new option enclosed layshaft bulkheads (available now).

Other than that I'd guess it'll be the same car.

Reflex Racing will be releasing a T4 chassis that uses the same style hingepin mounts so you could also "update" your 2013 car that way
Hagberg's car at Euros also looked to have a top-deck support at the front of the motor mount.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #4769
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
Could u use play doh in gear diff (front) if so would it be thicker than 500k. Any suggestions on what i could use without having to order offline and not ruin the diff
You could try it. I doubt it would ruin it, but it might be difficult to clean out. Worst case, it's possible that it could swell the O-rings. I've heard of people trying all sorts of odd things in their front diff, like chopped up earplugs. Some use cleaning putty. Playdoh might start to break down and I think it might be a bit too soft to begin with.

I tried GravityRC 2.5mil up front for a few races, but I ended up going back to a spool.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #4770
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Hagberg's car at Euros also looked to have a top-deck support at the front of the motor mount.

-Mike
Oops that's what I forgot! I'd guess with adding so much flex to the car that moving the "pivot" point to the middle of the upper deck balances it out front to rear.

I hope the belts stay white for production.... I don't know why but I think it looks cool