R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #4126
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodace View Post
On power


The front pushes also coming into turns also. I think that's started when I put the -.75 roll center on up front ...
Try standing your rear shocks up, might help a little with both problems.

And/or stiffer rear springs.

Whatever you choose, let us know how it goes
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #4127
Tech Elite
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Streamwood, IL.
Posts: 3,741
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
Speaking of roll centers. I've noticed nobody ever uses the lower arm mount holes on the t4. Does that lower the roll center more than anyone cares for? I've not tried it but I may at some point. Perhaps in front to get a bit more steering..

Dave
Anyone have any input
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #4128
Tech Elite
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Streamwood, IL.
Posts: 3,741
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Try standing your rear shocks up, might help a little with both problems.

And/or stiffer rear springs.

Whatever you choose, let us know how it goes
Out of curiosity what is your through process behind this? I would think you'd want to start up front if it's an off power corner entry issue.

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #4129
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,111
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Less caster helps turn in but you'll lose some exit steering, stiffen the rear and it'll help a little on exit. I've been trying to get rid of the push entering corners and when I finally did I now push on exit.
What I did was stand up the rear shock, put the lowest RC in the front of the front arms and 0 RC in back of rear arm and you'll have less caster but it helped out alot. Sometimes I switch the RC in front to 0 in front of front arm and -75 in back of rear arm and it helped alot also. Try it, it can't hurt
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #4130
Tech Elite
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Streamwood, IL.
Posts: 3,741
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
In the front add 2mm shim on top of shock
In the rear add 2mm on bottom of the shock
I use it in the front only on carpet, it feels less responsive on asphalt
Are you saying you only use shims on carpet? What do you feel changes and is benefited when you do these? And I am understanding correctly that people only shim the front top at tower and rear bottom at arm?

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #4131
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
Out of curiosity what is your through process behind this? I would think you'd want to start up front if it's an off power corner entry issue.

Dave
I've found that stiffer rear springs help initial steering at corner entry.

Sometimes stiffer rear springs, or standing the rears up more seems to also prevent too much weight transferring to the rear at corner exit as you apply the power.
If you go too stiff at the rear it might start to make the rear loose again.

You might also want to consider moving more static weight to the rear of the car. This might contribute to the issues

Like everything, it's a balancing act as well as being effected by driving style etc.
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #4132
Tech Fanatic
 
erchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 776
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
Speaking of roll centers. I've noticed nobody ever uses the lower arm mount holes on the t4. Does that lower the roll center more than anyone cares for? I've not tried it but I may at some point. Perhaps in front to get a bit more steering.. Before I disassemble my car and take out my mic. does anyone know the distance between those two sets of threaded holes? If the blocks provide to -.075 I wonder what a +.75 would work out to be on the lower hole.

Dave
Are those holes even threaded? Are you sure the arm mounts will even fit in those holes without hitting the chassis? I'd be surprised if they did.
__________________
RCAmerica ; Team Powers USA ; Reflex Racing ; RC≥ RC Crew Chief ; Bezerk RC
erchn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #4133
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,111
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
Are you saying you only use shims on carpet? What do you feel changes and is benefited when you do these? And I am understanding correctly that people only shim the front top at tower and rear bottom at arm?

Dave
Yes, I only shim the front top shock on carpet. I felt it calmed the front of the car down, not so twitchy. I put a 2mm just on top of the front to make it straight up and down, some put 1.5 even 2.5.
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #4134
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,111
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
Are those holes even threaded? Are you sure the arm mounts will even fit in those holes without hitting the chassis? I'd be surprised if they did.
You can't even get the screw in those holes, if you shim under the bulk you probably can but then you'll be raising COG and the shocks wouldn't fit and some other parts as well
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #4135
Tech Elite
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Streamwood, IL.
Posts: 3,741
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
Are those holes even threaded? Are you sure the arm mounts will even fit in those holes without hitting the chassis? I'd be surprised if they did.
Good questions. I'll check when I get to the track tonight and report back. I don't know why they'd put them there if they weren't functional on some level (Weight shedding perhaps?).

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #4136
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
Good questions. I'll check when I get to the track tonight and report back. I don't know why they'd put them there if they weren't functional on some level (Weight shedding perhaps?).

Dave
If you want 'inbetween' roll centre heights, you can just add shims underneath the pivot block mounts
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #4137
Tech Elite
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Streamwood, IL.
Posts: 3,741
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I've found that stiffer rear springs help initial steering at corner entry.

Sometimes stiffer rear springs, or standing the rears up more seems to also prevent too much weight transferring to the rear at corner exit as you apply the power.
If you go too stiff at the rear it might start to make the rear loose again.

You might also want to consider moving more static weight to the rear of the car. This might contribute to the issues

Like everything, it's a balancing act as well as being effected by driving style etc.
I definitely see what you mean about stiffer rear helping w/ on power steering I'm just trying to wrap my head around a stiffer rear spring helping off power corner entry. Perhaps the stiffer spring is speeding up weight transfer to the front off power into corner entry?

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #4138
Tech Elite
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Streamwood, IL.
Posts: 3,741
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
Yes, I only shim the front top shock on carpet. I felt it calmed the front of the car down, not so twitchy. I put a 2mm just on top of the front to make it straight up and down, some put 1.5 even 2.5.
Ok can you tell me what you experience when you put washers on the rear shock at the arm itself? Is this also in effect straightening the rear shock like the front? I can't say I've paid attention to the exact vertical orientation of the shock itself.


Thanks
Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #4139
Tech Elite
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Streamwood, IL.
Posts: 3,741
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
If you want 'inbetween' roll centre heights, you can just add shims underneath the pivot block mounts
Yeah I've read that in the manual. I was just wondering why xray put those lower holes in. Perhaps so you can put a few MM under the block to get extra roll center options like you said. I currently run 0 FF/FR and -.75FR/RR. I tried a -.75FF/FR to try to get a bit more low speed steering and turn in butthe car had crazy high speed steering and was way too twitchy for me. Didn't help me w/ turn in a bit. I couldn't imagine using those lower holes which is why I asked if anyone used those and why xray put them there if not.

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #4140
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,111
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
Ok can you tell me what you experience when you put washers on the rear shock at the arm itself? Is this also in effect straightening the rear shock like the front? I can't say I've paid attention to the exact vertical orientation of the shock itself.


Thanks
Dave
Yea same thing, straightening the shock.
Don't know what it actually does, but I'm going to say it makes the suspension more efficient
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T3 2012 rasta_man Electric On-Road 4220 11-09-2016 02:45 PM
RC10B4/T4 Forum DerekL Electric Off-Road 14331 01-01-2016 03:18 PM
****HUGE AE T4 TRUCK TIRE SALE *** CRCDUDE R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 32 08-23-2010 09:55 AM


Tags
xray t4


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:17 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0