R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #3871
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I only get confused with so much contradicting info from experienced drivers.
That proves that car set up is overrated when it comes to fine tuning. It's all in our heads.
What really matters is how good you are with your left trigger finger and right wrist.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #3872
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Not the case. Set up is not over rated. However the disconnect probably has to do with different track conditions.

At the Porter, TX rc track, home of the 2010 ifmar nitro worlds, we have an extremely bumpy section that is high speed in front of the drivers stand. More pack helps in this section. Less pack makes the chassis bottom out and the car loses traction going into a chicane. Ed's (try hard's) situation might be different than the conditions presented. However in bumpy sections (not bumps) much like in offroad, more pack keeps the car from bottoming out which helps my car get through bumps much better.

Pack helps in switchbacks because the shock will "lock up in direction changes" more than with less pack. This aids in quicker response. I always use zero rebound, so I can't attest to the effect that rebound will have on a switchback. Rebound is hard to set consistently and makes the car less consistent from my experience, so I stay away from it. However, it can definitely be something that helps.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #3873
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

It's funny this was brought up. Today I spent 4 hours changing suspension setups to see if I could resolve a problem and what effects the changes would have. My best lap times varied +/- .3 and my average 20 by +/- .4. I went from 350cst 2.7F/2.3-2.6R to 550cst 2.5F/2.7R and also every shock position on the tower in between. I also tried a 2mm washer FF to sweep the arms back but my lap times were nearly identical w/ that change. The only difference I saw was my final setup of 550cst w/ linear springs allowed the car to rotate a tad better and it felt a bit more consistent and stable in the high speed sweeper we've got. This is in VTA which probably doesn't amplify the effects like a faster class would. The only thing I didn't play w/ that I wanted to was bumpsteer and ackerman. I've read that changing ackerman doesn't make much of a difference and I've got 1mm washer on the steering arm.

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #3874
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
The Spec R Springs are too long for the XRAY T4. They are great springs though.
It says the spec R springs are 13mm and the RSD springs are 20mm. Are they maybe too short? Or is 13mm the diameter of the SpecR and 20mm is the length of the RSD?

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #3875
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
It says the spec R springs are 13mm and the RSD springs are 20mm. Are they maybe too short? Or is 13mm the diameter of the SpecR and 20mm is the length of the RSD?

Dave
I believe both are diameter. 7mm is quite a difference though, so maybe one is measuring ID and the other is measure OD.

Ethan
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #3876
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Both springs are 14-14.5 ID. Spec R are 25mm long, rsd T4 are 20mm long.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #3877
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Both springs are 14-14.5 ID. Spec R are 25mm long, rsd T4 are 20mm long.
Well, there yah go. WTF do I know. ;-)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #3878
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

T4 springs are 17x20mm. 14mm doesn't make sense.
All my touring car springs including spec r r1 springs have diameter of 17mm.

Edit. Inner diameter 14mm. I see.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #3879
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
I only get confused with so much contradicting info from experienced drivers.
That proves that car set up is overrated when it comes to fine tuning. It's all in our heads.
What really matters is how good you are with your left trigger finger and right wrist.
Everyone's setup compliments different driving styles. In theory what's supposed to work doesn't for certain styles.
I like to hear everyone say what issues they're having and what can be done about it. Some are wrong in theory but that's what might've worked when that person was experiencing that issue.
No one has a perfect car but it might be perfect for that style of driving
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #3880
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Not the case. Set up is not over rated. However the disconnect probably has to do with different track conditions.

At the Porter, TX rc track, home of the 2010 ifmar nitro worlds, we have an extremely bumpy section that is high speed in front of the drivers stand. More pack helps in this section. Less pack makes the chassis bottom out and the car loses traction going into a chicane. Ed's (try hard's) situation might be different than the conditions presented. However in bumpy sections (not bumps) much like in offroad, more pack keeps the car from bottoming out which helps my car get through bumps much better.

Pack helps in switchbacks because the shock will "lock up in direction changes" more than with less pack. This aids in quicker response. I always use zero rebound, so I can't attest to the effect that rebound will have on a switchback. Rebound is hard to set consistently and makes the car less consistent from my experience, so I stay away from it. However, it can definitely be something that helps.
I would say in my opinion that it is based off the frequency and size of the bumps. I normally run on very smooth tracks but I could see it going either way as I face this a lot in offroad.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #3881
Tech Elite

I did this before for the T3 etc, so I'll share this one for the T4.
Someone tell me if I've cocked it up, can't remember which sizes I actually tested;
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #3882
Tech Addict

just out of curiousity i was wondering how much difference to lap times a dirty track makes? i was testing today and i managed very consistent 15 sec laps,my best on a race day was 14.69 but my car is faster now,i broke into the 14's a few times,so would a clean track equate to half a sec a lap faster or more? the track was smothered in pollen,just trying to get an idea as to whether im up to speed or if i still need to play around with the settings,roll on sunday,where ill find out for definate,oh i was on old rubber worn through to the belting,i put on a brand new unscrubbed set and still did 15's,but with more rear grip i lost some steering,so need that back,maybe i can lose some rear toe in ?
the fast guys on race day are doing 14/14.2 average
Old 05-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #3883
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
just out of curiousity i was wondering how much difference to lap times a dirty track makes? i was testing today and i managed very consistent 15 sec laps,my best on a race day was 14.69 but my car is faster now,i broke into the 14's a few times,so would a clean track equate to half a sec a lap faster or more? the track was smothered in pollen,just trying to get an idea as to whether im up to speed or if i still need to play around with the settings,roll on sunday,where ill find out for definate,oh i was on old rubber worn through to the belting,i put on a brand new unscrubbed set and still did 15's,but with more rear grip i lost some steering,so need that back,maybe i can lose some rear toe in ?
Can you most your setup? With a pollen covered track last weekend I couldn't keep the rear from breaking loose.,with the same setup I was doing 15.7, the past week couldn't get in the 16's
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #3884
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
Can you most your setup? With a pollen covered track last weekend I couldn't keep the rear from breaking loose.,with the same setup I was doing 15.7, the past week couldn't get in the 16's
its probably down to having 3.8 deg toe in at the rear,i haven't done a set up sheet in a while,but ill get on it later and post it
Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #3885
Tech Addict

ok that didnt work.i tried to post the sheet but its too large for the forum,sorry this is where im stumped,i dont know how to reduce its size