R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #3661
Tech Elite
 
defcone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,335
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niemand View Post
Clean tires with motorspray or similar.
Reglue if neccessary.
Sauce tires 30min before the run with LRP Top Traction, AME MBT Asphalt or CS Max Grip.
Heat to 60C (for 30 minutes).

Tried not cleaning them with motorspray but that didn't help much.
Old tires (10+ runs) seem to be working better than new tires for many Xray drivers here.

Regards,
David
I think you should give mr33 a go, or maybe try just clean with no additive. Is your track very dusty?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #3662
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
I think you should give mr33 a go, or maybe try just clean with no additive. Is your track very dusty?
MR33 is always worth a try
But others (the TRF teamdriver for example) had good traction with LRP additive and excellent traction with AME.
Using no additive didn't work. At the beginning theres even less overall traction, from 2-3 minutes into the run to the end its just slightly worse than using additive.
The track is very dusty atm (pollen), but gets reasonably clean when we have races. Sadly I have to test in dusty conditions which doesn't make it easier or wait 2-3 weeks and hope the pollen is gone by then.

Regards,
David
niemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #3663
Tech Fanatic
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 775
Default

I wouldn't bother doing car setup on a dirty practice day. Your best bet is to wait for a race day I'm afraid (and practice the day or two after once the track has cleaned up).

I would say that if the car is terrible and really lacking grip, then its a tyre/prep issue rather than car setup. The T4 works on every track I've taken it to with the same basic setup and just a few tweaks here and there. The main thing changed from one track to another is tyre additive.

For low grip you can try removing top-deck screws, thinner diff oil, thinner shock oil and softer springs and more droop.
__________________
Team Xray
RC-Timing Software - http://www.rc-timing.com
Mercedes AMG F1 - http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #3664
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
I wouldn't bother doing car setup on a dirty practice day. Your best bet is to wait for a race day I'm afraid (and practice the day or two after once the track has cleaned up).

I would say that if the car is terrible and really lacking grip, then its a tyre/prep issue rather than car setup. The T4 works on every track I've taken it to with the same basic setup and just a few tweaks here and there. The main thing changed from one track to another is tyre additive.

For low grip you can try removing top-deck screws, thinner diff oil, thinner shock oil and softer springs and more droop.
I'm just too impatient but i guess you're right.
I'll wait for the next bigger practice or race then.

Regards,
David
niemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #3665
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
I wouldn't bother doing car setup on a dirty practice day. Your best bet is to wait for a race day I'm afraid (and practice the day or two after once the track has cleaned up).

I would say that if the car is terrible and really lacking grip, then its a tyre/prep issue rather than car setup. The T4 works on every track I've taken it to with the same basic setup and just a few tweaks here and there. The main thing changed from one track to another is tyre additive.

For low grip you can try removing top-deck screws, thinner diff oil, thinner shock oil and softer springs and more droop.
Dale, did you change anything for the finals yesterday (additive etc as well) as mine was a pig on rollerskates in both finals. Not sure if track temps were ruining the handling.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #3666
Tech Fanatic
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Dale, did you change anything for the finals yesterday (additive etc as well) as mine was a pig on rollerskates in both finals. Not sure if track temps were ruining the handling.

Skiddins
Tyre prep was unchanged throughout the day. For the finals all I did was move the rear wing forwards a touch to try to get rid of a bit of HS understeer (which I couldn't really feel - should have took some rear camber or toe off but thought that was too risky!).

Eastbourne is on such a knife-edge with grip though, one cloud or a bit of sun and it totally changes. Luke's car also lost a couple of tenths per lap for the finals and we were doing exactly the same thing on tyre prep.
__________________
Team Xray
RC-Timing Software - http://www.rc-timing.com
Mercedes AMG F1 - http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #3667
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Dale, did you change anything for the finals yesterday (additive etc as well) as mine was a pig on rollerskates in both finals. Not sure if track temps were ruining the handling.

Skiddins
any vids skiddins? i think ive watched everything on yt need another fix,lol
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #3668
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
any vids skiddins? i think ive watched everything on yt need another fix,lol
Unfortunately I forgot my headcam yet again, that's two meetings I've not video'd now
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #3669
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Unfortunately I forgot my headcam yet again, that's two meetings I've not video'd now
i dug out my 5 yr old go pro ,but the quality isnt very good,and filmed the a's on sunday

1st a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6A3kne1fUU

2nd a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7MQV_9Cf1g
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #3670
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

after trying the shims on the rear shock i found that with 2mm at the top and 1mm at the bottom i can get on the throttle sooner out of the corners,where before it would over rotate,if that helps
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #3671
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,111
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Right now I have 50mm ECS driveshafts in my car, would it make a difference if I had the 52mm ones? The regular driveshafts are 52mm and didn't realize when I bought them they were 52mm, they were there so I bought them
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #3672
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
Right now I have 50mm ECS driveshafts in my car, would it make a difference if I had the 52mm ones? The regular driveshafts are 52mm and didn't realize when I bought them they were 52mm, they were there so I bought them
joe,from what ive read on here the 50 mm shafts will make the car more aggressive,dont ask me how or why but apparantly thats the only difference
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #3673
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Tyre prep was unchanged throughout the day. For the finals all I did was move the rear wing forwards a touch to try to get rid of a bit of HS understeer (which I couldn't really feel - should have took some rear camber or toe off but thought that was too risky!).

Eastbourne is on such a knife-edge with grip though, one cloud or a bit of sun and it totally changes. Luke's car also lost a couple of tenths per lap for the finals and we were doing exactly the same thing on tyre prep.
After checking my car yesterday while getting it ready for this weekend I discovered my rear shocks (and only the rear shocks ) were 50% air.

Wondering if the warmer temps in the afternoon didn't cause the oil and o-rings etc to expand so they let oil past.
I did check them on Sunday after lots of runs Saturday and they were fine.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #3674
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,458
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Anybody running the killshot motor in the T4 for stock class? If so, care to post a pic of mounting it? Apparently some are having an issue.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #3675
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
After checking my car yesterday while getting it ready for this weekend I discovered my rear shocks (and only the rear shocks ) were 50% air.

Wondering if the warmer temps in the afternoon didn't cause the oil and o-rings etc to expand so they let oil past.
I did check them on Sunday after lots of runs Saturday and they were fine.

Skiddins
thats not good,if the oil leaked surely it would be noticable,ie dirt sticking to them?

if i can pick your brains for a mo,
im setting up my car for this weekend at wlrc and im starting with

shocks 4 x 1.1 450cst front and rear
3degrees rear toe in
2.7 front 2.5 rear
1.5 camber all round
roll center mid front short rear
droop f 5 r 4
rh 5.5 f 6 r
anything else you might add to that?
have you done the hagberg mod to the t4?

i have another set of shocks that im going to try which are cso
front 2.8 cso spring 3 hole 1.1 400 cst
rear 2.7 xray spring 3 hole 1.1 400cst wiyth a cso 2.6 to try as well

just so i can teach myself a bit more about shock settings and what they do,still a grey area for me,thanks in advance
rich
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T3 2012 rasta_man Electric On-Road 4220 11-09-2016 02:45 PM
RC10B4/T4 Forum DerekL Electric Off-Road 14331 01-01-2016 03:18 PM
****HUGE AE T4 TRUCK TIRE SALE *** CRCDUDE R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 32 08-23-2010 09:55 AM


Tags
xray t4


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:58 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0