R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #3361
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-forever View Post
Hahaha , with all respect , who want to raise the shocks now all other lower theirs. I think that both Jurai and Martin Hudy have tried this , and didn't go that way because the lower shocks are the best way. Also with the Tamiya team on their 417. Waist of money.
Who want a carbon fibre plate between motor and mount? I would prefer it in alu to transfer the heat
To supply the counter argument, you'll find that whilst most other manufacturers have gone / are going to lowered towers, most are retaining the ability to use existing long springs, unlike the bespoke solution offered by Xray... Having more options for springs is surely not a bad thing, IMO.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #3362
Tech Apprentice

On pretty much each car out there HPI and yokomo springs work great. I have tested these showtowers with hpi springs and found the car to be much nicer. The fastest laptimes didnt go down much but we were able to drive the times much more consistant and improve over the entire run. Low profile shocktowers are a new trend but every other brand remains with the use of normal springs. Simply because those springs work.. if u look at the start of this thread everyone asked and tried if normal springs would fit. Because those springs are working good for years now.. and u cant just copy a spring rate when the spring is shorter. there are to many factors like wich spring steel or thickness of the wire etc.. to duplicate. With the option to just only run short xray forces people to just only buy their products. And from a business point of view one could see why offcourse. But nothing beats racers in trying to improve to get the most out of their cars.

The total length of the shock is about 1mm longer.
JanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #3363
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanE View Post
On pretty much each car out there HPI and yokomo springs work great. I have tested these showtowers with hpi springs and found the car to be much nicer. The fastest laptimes didnt go down much but we were able to drive the times much more consistant and improve over the entire run. Low profile shocktowers are a new trend but every other brand remains with the use of normal springs. Simply because those springs work.. if u look at the start of this thread everyone asked and tried if normal springs would fit. Because those springs are working good for years now.. and u cant just copy a spring rate when the spring is shorter. there are to many factors like wich spring steel or thickness of the wire etc.. to duplicate. With the option to just only run short xray forces people to just only buy their products. And from a business point of view one could see why offcourse. But nothing beats racers in trying to improve to get the most out of their cars.

Which HPI springs did you use and how long were your shocks? (Since there's no kit length)
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #3364
Tech Elite

For those that have asked in the past, I make my shocks 56.8mm long (tip to tip)

That leaves around 1mm of thread showing at the bottom of the shock rod.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #3365
Tech Apprentice

I used the hpi silver and pink springs, but gold will fitt aswell. I havent had the chance to try yokomo springs.

The gap between the ball end and the bottom of the shock is 10mm. Where it was 9mm before wich leaves about 1mm of tread showing like skiddins said.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #3366
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
I used the hpi silver and pink springs, but gold will fitt aswell. I havent had the chance to try yokomo springs.

The gap between the ball end and the bottom of the shock is 10mm. Where it was 9mm before wich leaves about 1mm of tread showing like skiddins said.
With the Tshox spring retainers, yokomo springs fit as well (Or any other lowered retainer)
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #3367
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
With the Tshox spring retainers, yokomo springs fit as well (Or any other lowered retainer)
yes sorry keep forgetting to mention i use the Tshox lower retainers
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #3368
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know a good place to buy the kit in the US? I'd like to get it for 500 or less.

Thanks!
ravex911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #3369
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravex911 View Post
Does anyone know a good place to buy the kit in the US? I'd like to get it for 500 or less.

Thanks!
Speedtechhobbies lists it for 499, but they are backordered. Amainhobbies has it in stock for $529.99
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #3370
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I used a coupon for $25 off but the item didn't qualify for free shipping.

T4 sure has nice fit and finish but I didn't notice any advantage against other cheaper cars I have.
My impressions so far:
1. getting to the pinion is very inconvenient.
2. There isn't much room in there for larger pinions for 3.4 FDR.
3. I would have loved to have carbon battery hold down kit in the box.

4. The car is very pretty to look at.
5. It is durable and survived several frontal hits with moderate force. But I have ordered the carbon upper bumper brace to make it stronger.
6. Twisted rear belt was totally unexpected and I hope it doesn't happen again.
7. I don't like the progressive springs because I am used to linear rates.
8. T4 Shocks are better designed and higher quality than TRF shocks.

9. The ball joints are too tight in the ball cups. Tamiya is better at this.
My T4 suspension arms bind at the ball joints.

Last edited by edhchoe; 05-01-2013 at 05:59 PM.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #3371
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
If I understand you correctly, you'll be going to 6.0 to maintain the same ORH value.
Thanks! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to add or subtract the droop value in correlation to the ride height, but now I know!

PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #3372
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

This is not totally true. The length of a spring has absolutely zero to do with the rate. All that matters is wire diameter, diameter of spring, number of coils and pitch.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #3373
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
This is not totally true. The length of a spring has absolutely zero to do with the rate. All that matters is wire diameter, diameter of spring, number of coils and pitch.
Could not have said it better myself.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #3374
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravex911 View Post

Thanks!
Try calling Mike's Hobby Shop in Dallas. They useually have one or two on the shelf and I am pretty sure they price them under $500. They are not a mail order buisiness so you may have to drive.

972-242-4930
racer robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #3375
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Unless the short spring comes to full compression while the longer one doesn't.

Is full compression necessarily when the coils touch?
Does the spring rate stay constant from zero travel to touching coils?
If the answer is no then the length of the spring may have an effect on the performance.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote