R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #301
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

For us USA guys there are two places I know of so far which are taking pre-orders online. Stormerhobbies is cheaper but, their shipping is more expensive. For me shipping for UPS ground was $19.99 (cheapest option) where are Amain USPS priority would be $12.75 (cheapest option). Stormer ends up being slightly cheaper depending on where you are located. Niether place will charge your credit card until your kit is actually in stock.

Stormerhobbies - $519.95
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...s&pn=XRA300019

And

Amainhobbies. - $529.99
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ouring-Car-Kit

Nexus racing also sells Xray kits,but I'm not sure if they do pre-orders and they don't have a T4 page up yet.. niether does Xray's x-shop. I wouldve preferred to order directly from Xray (RcAmerica) but, oh well.
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds24 View Post
For us USA guys there are two places I know of so far which are taking pre-orders online. Stormerhobbies is cheaper but, their shipping is more expensive. For me shipping for UPS ground was $19.99 (cheapest option) where are Amain USPS priority would be $12.75 (cheapest option). Stormer ends up being slightly cheaper depending on where you are located. Niether place will charge your credit card until your kit is actually in stock.

Stormerhobbies - $519.95
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...s&pn=XRA300019

And

Amainhobbies. - $529.99
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ouring-Car-Kit

Nexus racing also sells Xray kits,but I'm not sure if they do pre-orders and they don't have a T4 page up yet.. niether does Xray's x-shop. I wouldve preferred to order directly from Xray (RcAmerica) but, oh well.
A-Main Hobbies also has a coupon to get Free Shipping on orders over $25.00
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #303
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Timbo99 Send a message via AIM to Timbo99 Send a message via MSN to Timbo99 Send a message via Skype™ to Timbo99
Talking X-ray T4

And for all you Australians,RAB Hobbies in Parkdale,Melbourne are taking orders!
Check out the e-store www.rabhobbies.com
$539.00
Regards
Tim Phillips
Serpent ERYX/S411 Le#189,#024,TE/Airtronics/MuchMore FLETA 4/Ryan Dezign-
"The finest RC paintwork in Australia"/LEESPEED/Ame T-Shox/THiNK Carbon.
"If at first you don't succeed,.....tell'em it's the "Beta" 1.0 version"
Timbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #304
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
I believe that the coupon/deal doesn't apply to pre-ordering a kit...because it is an "over sized" object.
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #305
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds24 View Post
Quote:
I believe that the coupon/deal doesn't apply to pre-ordering a kit...because it is an "over sized" object.
If the free shipping deal doesn't work, then you can always call A-Main hobbies 1-800-705-2215 and ask them about their $25 off on orders of $250 or more deal.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #306
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
LOL at the made-up physics in this post.

Lower CoG = less weight transfer = more overall grip, due to tyre load curves being non-linear. As you transfer weight to the outside tyre it gains a small amount of grip, but the inside tyre loses a larger amount of grip, so you have less grip overall.

This is why every racing car designer in the world tries as hard as possible to lower the CoG.
As a huge F1 fan I so respect the knowledge you bring to the table. You are certainly correct in your assessment of my post as it relates to full size road racing cars. However, I was speaking purely in the context of R/C Sedans. In later posts there was some discussion about some significant differences between the two.

For example, front spools, chassis flex, tire performance and function, the lack of sophistication in our suspension and dampers, etc...

In order to get our cars to perform we use massive and often violent weight transfer to increase and reduce tire traction at different ends/corners of the car. Years ago we started with full scale suspension best practices. However, over time we have naturally evolved to settings that would appear to be nonsense to a proper suspension engineer.

For example, flexi chassis, how under sprung and under damped the fronts of our cars are compared to the rear, how we use suspension down stops and chassis lift to intentionally break traction or exaggerate/limit weight transfer...

Part of the reason for this is our tires. They are relatively low in grip and really are remarkably durable. To get our cars to turn we internationally break traction and slip the tires to a degree that would destroy full scale tires.

FYI, we have had more grippy tires in the past. ProLine S3's in the late 90's allowed us to run low roll, stiff chassis...similar to full scale but the tires would be destroyed in a 4 min Mod run outdoors. Foam tires gave us grip on carpet with similar stiff cars and settings.

The S3's were replaced by belted slicks and a shift to flexi chassis and soft suspension. Ultimately we have achieved far higher speeds and cornering forces than with previous settings/tires. Well except for foam tires on carpet but that’s another discussion.

I would say current R/C sedan suspension settings have more in common with full scale rally racing than road racing cars.

I still stand behind my initial assertion that lowering the CG of a sedan would reduce traction.

I am not an engineer but I have been racing 20 years, I was the VP of US Ops for Schumacher for 7 years (the good years), helped in developing several generations of sedans, 1/12 and WGT cars (Schumacher and BMI Racing). Most importantly my cars are almost always spot on setup wise.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to clarify things.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #307
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
If the free shipping deal doesn't work, then you can always call A-Main hobbies 1-800-705-2215 and ask them about their $25 off on orders of $250 or more deal.
Free shipping or not, for those of us in California, the sales tax alone is $46. I'll be looking for Stormer or others outside CA that will ship it to me without sales tax.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #308
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Free shipping or not, for those of us in California, the sales tax alone is $46. I'll be looking for Stormer or others outside CA that will ship it to me without sales tax.
Yeeouch! $46 in sales tax! You're better off going with Stormer Hobbies. If you "Like" them on Facebook then you can get special offers (i.e. free shipping) from them as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #309
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Pay it now, or pay it later. Or do you just evade?
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #310
Tech Master

About the short springs of this car, Xray didn't release yet other stiffness ones?

Best regards
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #311
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to entitymugenmtx

When will they ship out the T4?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #312
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
About the short springs of this car, Xray didn't release yet other stiffness ones?

Best regards
http://www.teamxray.com/t4/details/
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #313
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by entitymugenmtx View Post
When will they ship out the T4?
My understanding is the first batch goes out mid-Oct in the US. Really just depends if you get an order in early enough to get one out of the first batch.

I presume places like Stormer and A Main have already placed their orders and you would be pre-ordering against the qty they ordered. I placed mine with my LHS who ordered it directly from RC America. I assumed it safest that way.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #314
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

nexusracing.com just put up their preorder link. $509.95. I made sure to put my preorder in before posting this comment
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #315
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Got my preorder in! I can't wait to get my hands on this kit. Soon I'll retire my 2011 t3. That car has been good to me. Still rocking the original bottom chassis.