R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #3061
Tech Fanatic
 
erchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 779
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052 View Post
Just ran my T4 for the first time today.

I used the included baseline carpet setup included with the kit. I was running on a short indoor carpet track with no groove set in yet. CS-22 tires.

Having on-power understeer and off power oversteer. First I decreased rear droop and then subsequently took out the rear ARB. I didn't see any large improvements. I wonder what to change next... I wouldn't be so concerned, but I feel I'm pretty far off a stable car with the stock setup.

I would try 2.5 rear springs, and widening the front track width just a bit, maybe 1.9-2mm at the arm mounts. The springs should give you better on power steering, and the wider front end will smooth the front end out a bit.
__________________
RCAmerica ; Team Powers USA ; Reflex Racing ; RC≥ RC Crew Chief ; Bezerk RC
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #3062
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052 View Post
Just ran my T4 for the first time today.

I used the included baseline carpet setup included with the kit. I was running on a short indoor carpet track with no groove set in yet. CS-22 tires.

Having on-power understeer and off power oversteer. First I decreased rear droop and then subsequently took out the rear ARB. I didn't see any large improvements. I wonder what to change next... I wouldn't be so concerned, but I feel I'm pretty far off a stable car with the stock setup.
Have you tried different tyres?

I ask as when first ran the kit setup with Sorex 28JB it was instantly the best handling car I'd ever had on carpet.
Do the wishbones etc move nice and freely?
Put the rear roll bar back on, it helps the car transition better (i'm up to a 1.3 rear bar)
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #3063
Tech Fanatic
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Have you tried different tyres?

I ask as when first ran the kit setup with Sorex 28JB it was instantly the best handling car I'd ever had on carpet.
Do the wishbones etc move nice and freely?
Put the rear roll bar back on, it helps the car transition better (i'm up to a 1.3 rear bar)
Yep change the tyres to some Sorex and you'll be fine.
__________________
Team Xray
RC-Timing Software - http://www.rc-timing.com
Mercedes AMG F1 - http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #3064
Tech Addict
 
rustlerboi1052's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 1 AU
Posts: 626
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I'm running 17.5 blinky sedan with spec sweep blue tyres. I will try the spec tires and set up the car again back to baseline. I will look into the changes you guys mentioned if this tyre change doesn't do anything.
I wanted to run my CS 22's because there was no groove in the track yet . Also I wanted to break everything in on a set of old tyres and save the specs for race day.
Thanks for the replies all.
rustlerboi1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #3065
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052 View Post
I'm running 17.5 blinky sedan with spec sweep blue tyres. I will try the spec tires and set up the car again back to baseline. I will look into the changes you guys mentioned if this tyre change doesn't do anything.
I wanted to run my CS 22's because there was no groove in the track yet . Also I wanted to break everything in on a set of old tyres and save the specs for race day.
Thanks for the replies all.
Ok.
Come back and let us know how it goes, good or bad.
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #3066
Tech Apprentice
 
BrianH28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Naples, Fl
Posts: 92
Default Parts

I just ordered a T4 and was looking for advise on what spear parts to order. What parts seem to break the most?
__________________
Corally RDX, CRC Gen-X 10 LE, Xray T4 14
KCCO
BrianH28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #3067
Tech Elite
 
klaymon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,330
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH28 View Post
I just ordered a T4 and was looking for advise on what spear parts to order. What parts seem to break the most?
None. In all seriousness, I flipped my car into a concrete wall on a sweeper 3 times in 1 day and did not use a single part. However, I think the usual stuff to get would be a right and left caster block, front arm, rear arm, rear hub and front hub. These cars are super durable.
klaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #3068
Tech Elite
 
j.d.roost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,038
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaymon View Post
None. In all seriousness, I flipped my car into a concrete wall on a sweeper 3 times in 1 day and did not use a single part. However, I think the usual stuff to get would be a right and left caster block, front arm, rear arm, rear hub and front hub. These cars are super durable.
Yep.
Also..grab some wheel bearings and ecs pins.
Shock bladder's,orings and ecs blades.
It's a nice convenience to have a full built ecs at the track too (if you run them).
It's very hard to break a part on these cars. I usually wear stuff out 1st.
__________________
F1
Roche usa
R.I.P. Jon Williams
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #3069
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,080
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052 View Post
Just ran my T4 for the first time today.

I used the included baseline carpet setup included with the kit. I was running on a short indoor carpet track with no groove set in yet. CS-22 tires.

Having on-power understeer and off power oversteer. First I decreased rear droop and then subsequently took out the rear ARB. I didn't see any large improvements. I wonder what to change next... I wouldn't be so concerned, but I feel I'm pretty far off a stable car with the stock setup.
I think there are a few solutions or suggestions I should say. I would try one of these. I'm sure you know all of these but I'm just trying to help.

1. I would just play with shock positions first. More upright in the rear and more progressive in the front will change the way your car acts dramatically. This is the easiest and fastest way to play around and I found it extremely effective in many occasions.

2. Provided that your car accelerates and breaks ok w/o loosing grip, I would put some anti squat in the rear. I honestly don't know what stock set up is like in T4 but if there isn't any, it should help a lot. On on-power, your car's rear sits down and provides more grip. Then your car wants to turn in wider angle due to the traction provided by the sitting of the rear. This is natural. But if you put anti-squat, the car resists to squat in the rear meaning that it will provide not as much grip in the rear leading to more oversteer than when there isn't any anti squat. On off-power(or breaking), the opposite happens causing loose rear end(oversteer). To reduce this, you also put anti squat because the rear end will not stand up as fast as when there isn't any anti squat.
I would not touch the front dive at first. But you can try Anti Dive with anti squat. Make sure to change your caster to apply the pure effect of anti dive. I just would not touch this. Too much hassle.

3. Similar effect can be acheived by putting harder springs or harder damping in the rear. I would not touch the front spring or pistons until you've tried different rear set ups. I'm telling you from my experience cuz I've tried so many different setting and none of them yielded good result and made me confused. Well maybe you'll have better luck than mine

4. You can shorten wheel base for faster steering response but it doesn't usually give you the solution to the problem.

5. Wider rear track width increases traction in the rear under braking and under off power steering so that the car understeers.

Again, shock position can be easily changed and you will see a noticible difference. I'd try it first and move on to anti squat. I used to have same exact problem and solved it with combination of both two. I'd make sure to try ONE AT A TIME.
__________________
Capricorn LAB C03
snuvet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #3070
Tech Elite
 
nerdling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,804
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052 View Post
Just ran my T4 for the first time today.

I used the included baseline carpet setup included with the kit. I was running on a short indoor carpet track with no groove set in yet. CS-22 tires.

Having on-power under-steer and off power over-steer. First I decreased rear droop and then subsequently took out the rear ARB. I didn't see any large improvements. I wonder what to change next... I wouldn't be so concerned, but I feel I'm pretty far off a stable car with the stock setup.
I've been working on a setup on my T3 for carpet/foam racing with a similar problem, mainly the over steering off power. I cured this (really effectively as it turns out) by dialing in some anti drive on the rear (where the front of the rear hinge pins are angled up compared to the chassis). This setting causes the rear to resist unloading during acceleration.

Try this and see how you go. Hopefully you get a car that under-steers but does not over steer under slow down.

Remember, fix one problem at a time.

I also changed to a Front Diff (instead of a Spool) but this won't help with the under-steer.

To address the Under-steer I would install the rear bar, maybe go 1 or 2 steps thicker than standard and see what happens.

Let us know how you go.
__________________
ACT EP10 & EP12 ONR Titles, February 26th to 29thth 2016.

--XRAY--NOSRAM--PROTOFORM--MUCHMORE--
www.teamxray.com -- www.hudy.net -- www.hobbyexpress.com.au
http://www.rcracedatesaustralia.com/
nerdling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #3071
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,080
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdling View Post
I've been working on a setup on my T3 for carpet/foam racing with a similar problem, mainly the over steering off power. I cured this (really effectively as it turns out) by dialing in some anti drive on the rear (where the front of the rear hinge pins are angled up compared to the chassis). This setting causes the rear to resist unloading during acceleration.

Try this and see how you go. Hopefully you get a car that under-steers but does not over steer under slow down.

Remember, fix one problem at a time.

I also changed to a Front Diff (instead of a Spool) but this won't help with the under-steer.

To address the Under-steer I would install the rear bar, maybe go 1 or 2 steps thicker than standard and see what happens.

Let us know how you go.
So you agree with me then. I'm sort of glad to see your comment because you seem like a dude with some credentials LOL
__________________
Capricorn LAB C03
snuvet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #3072
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
Default

hi, been struggling with my T4 for a while now, well not really struggling just trying to get that last little bit out of it. It feels as though i cant really drive it hard, the rear tends to break loose on some corners but it also feels as though i cant attack the corner. On some tight/hairpins once i have gone round the corner its like i have to wait till the car is straight to get on the power or oversteer happens.

brief set up - sorex 28s ride height front 5 rear 5.3 mazda speed 6

Front. 2.7 450cst 1.4mm roll bar, shock hole 2 from middle, middle camber link 1mm outer 2mm inner
Rear. 2.5 450cst 1.3mm roll bar, shock hole hole 2 from middle, short camber link 4mm outer 1mm inner

Thanks
Nathan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #3073
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson View Post
hi, been struggling with my T4 for a while now, well not really struggling just trying to get that last little bit out of it. It feels as though i cant really drive it hard, the rear tends to break loose on some corners but it also feels as though i cant attack the corner. On some tight/hairpins once i have gone round the corner its like i have to wait till the car is straight to get on the power or oversteer happens.

brief set up - sorex 28s ride height front 5 rear 5.3 mazda speed 6

Front. 2.7 450cst 1.4mm roll bar, shock hole 2 from middle, middle camber link 1mm outer 2mm inner
Rear. 2.5 450cst 1.3mm roll bar, shock hole hole 2 from middle, short camber link 4mm outer 1mm inner

Thanks
Have a look at my setups for the T4 for Newbury;
http://www.piez0r.com/Skiddins/Xray%...etups/?C=M;O=D
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #3074
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson View Post
hi, been struggling with my T4 for a while now, well not really struggling just trying to get that last little bit out of it. It feels as though i cant really drive it hard, the rear tends to break loose on some corners but it also feels as though i cant attack the corner. On some tight/hairpins once i have gone round the corner its like i have to wait till the car is straight to get on the power or oversteer happens.

brief set up - sorex 28s ride height front 5 rear 5.3 mazda speed 6

Front. 2.7 450cst 1.4mm roll bar, shock hole 2 from middle, middle camber link 1mm outer 2mm inner
Rear. 2.5 450cst 1.3mm roll bar, shock hole hole 2 from middle, short camber link 4mm outer 1mm inner

Thanks
what surface and what class (motor) are you running?
__________________
Xray | Hudy | Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | Protoform | Proline | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #3075
Tech Champion
 
Kwikvdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 5,950
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub
Exclamation

Hey Guys, Can you use these on the T4??...... Didn't mention it on the description.....Thanks!.....http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Set-Orange-4
__________________
Alex Valdes

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T3 2012 rasta_man Electric On-Road 4220 11-09-2016 02:45 PM
RC10B4/T4 Forum DerekL Electric Off-Road 14331 01-01-2016 03:18 PM
****HUGE AE T4 TRUCK TIRE SALE *** CRCDUDE R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 32 08-23-2010 09:55 AM


Tags
xray t4


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:25 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0