Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elee32
how much fluid are you putting in the diff? I thought I had a leaky diff when I built my first few, only eyeballing the amount of fluid I put in. Once I put the empty diff on a scale and added the fluid by weight like the directions suggest haven't had a leak since. Leads me to believe it was more of an overflow problem than a leaking problem.

Hope that helps!!
I was concerned about this too but I was even more careful on the 2nd rebuild. I put in a bit less than what the manual recommended, but pretty much by the 2nd qualifier, I noticed the rear end of my car was getting all oily.

Anyways, going to try another rebuild. Leaving the large O-ring out though. Hopefully 3rd times a charm.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Adam B
The o-ring has been found to be not needed. You should be ok with just the paper gasket.
+1
Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

i ca the o-ring and never replaced them,changed diff oil numerous times in 4 diffs still using same o-ring
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

T4 running 13.5 boosted
Tried a resonable setup but it seemed to be a bit too 'stuck' through corners, almost like i had drag brake on.

Decided to try 1 hole rear uprights (as advised by several team drivers) which made it a pig to hold on to during the race.
You can see my car squirming and sliding through corners.
Back to 2 hole methinks;

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Skiddins, how much rear toe are you using?

My experience with the T4 is at our local asphalt track, however, the track is extremely high bite when they spray it with VHT. One night, they were experimenting with more track additive after the races. Before the extra additive I was running 11.3 and 11.2 second laps, post the additive the lap times became 11.7's and 11.8's. As I had just gotten my car I had pretty much 0 option parts to find the speed. Luckily, the car has been very responsive to geometry changes.

The first thing I did was remove rear toe. I went from having 1.0mm shims in between the rear suspension blocks and the bulkhead to 0.5mm shims. The car got better. Next, I reduced Droop by turning each screw about 1/8 of a turn clockwise. I also shortened the wheelbase by 1mm in the rear. Alll the adjustments made the car less stuck and lap times started dropping. Next I went to the second hole from the outside on the front shock tower to increase mid corner rotation and lastly I lowered the inside camber links to only 1mm underneath all 4. I am also running the shortest links all around. After all the changes were made, I was able to get my lap times down to 11.0.

While I know the surfaces are different, the feeling of a car being too stuck is the same from my experience on both carpet and asphalt- all the adjustments I used, should work on both surfaces to "free up the car" and get more corner speed.

I have followed the thread for a while and noticed some people have said that the car lacks corner speed in certain circumstances, however with my limited time with the car, my favorite thing about it has been the corner speed and acceleration characteristics. What would be interesting to find out is what adjustments people have been trying on their cars to get them to reduce traction in high grip conditions.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

A few days ago I changed to EA's Snowbirds setup, dropped a tenth or two off my average. Freed the car up a little without being squirrely, it's really worth a try IMO.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
A few days ago I changed to EA's Snowbirds setup, dropped a tenth or two off my average. Freed the car up a little without being squirrely, it's really worth a try IMO.
Any idea where the 2.4 springs on EAs setup came from?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by erchn
Try the 2.5's instead. The 2.4's were preproduction ones that they never made into production. They made the soft progressives instead.

EA
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Anyone care to measure the center to center of the holes on the chassis for the battery holders? Want to see if the new adjustable ones will work on the TC6.1..

Shhh. don't tell the team.. lol.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Try the 2.5's instead. The 2.4's were preproduction ones that they never made into production. They made the soft progressives instead.

EA
Ok, bummer, thanks. Maybe reflex will have some options in that range.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Ok, bummer, thanks. Maybe reflex will have some options in that range.
I believe I have seen CSO in that range. No idea how they compare to Xray (2.5 vs 2.5, etc)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default re asphalt

just got a second t4 running with a different motor combo. 21.5 blinky.
complete kit asphalt setup at the moment.
med grip painted asphalt no compounds or spray
car is as quick as first (also kit setup) but has a low speed on power loose and a high speed sweeper push. everything i read these need the opposite to correct. swapped to a mazda from ltcr and push was worse.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hotrod1933
just got a second t4 running with a different motor combo. 21.5 blinky.
complete kit asphalt setup at the moment.
med grip painted asphalt no compounds or spray
car is as quick as first (also kit setup) but has a low speed on power loose and a high speed sweeper push. everything i read these need the opposite to correct. swapped to a mazda from ltcr and push was worse.
Two cars, same setup, different results?

Maybe check your weight distribution. Might be too heavy in rear. Also kinda sounds like a tweak, lefty loosey righty tighty.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Two cars, same setup, different results?

Maybe check your weight distribution. Might be too heavy in rear. Also kinda sounds like a tweak, lefty loosey righty tighty.
one is brand new the other just got a new bottom deck so should not be tweaked but will check. slightly different electronics but only the esc and both very close to same weight. both cars are a bit loose but no 2 is worse and has the more push. diff oils are different just remembered no 1 is 1200 and no 2 800. will even try same tire set on each car tomorrow not different sets.
will go over both cars tonight might be a slight difference in droop or something.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Sorry, I should have mentioned I used 2.5s in the rear. Couldn't find the 2.4s anywhere, now we know why. Thanks Eric!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.