R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #2161
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
What is the "slowest" mod motor that is respected among racers in that class? I know of somebody that bragged about being TQ and winning with a 10.5, which is a modified motor, technically. Just wondering what people in a modified class feel is modified.
I asked what the most sensible wind was for the Mod class in the UK as I'm considering entering this year (for the BRCA summer series, not this indoor crap ) and was told a 4.5 should cover anything required.
Chris Grainger made the recent worlds A Final with a 5.5!

If anyone tells you you need a 3.5, call their nurse!
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #2162
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I asked what the most sensible wind was for the Mod class in the UK as I'm considering entering this year (for the BRCA summer series, not this indoor crap ) and was told a 4.5 should cover anything required.
Chris Grainger made the recent worlds A Final with a 5.5!

If anyone tells you you need a 3.5, call their nurse!
Will actually depend on the brand of motor we are talking. Also my advice would be to use the same brand combo for ESC and motor.

From what i've tested:
GM - 5T or 5.5T with GM 120 GenII, should be more than enough
LRP/Nosram - X20 5.5T with previous LRP firmware
ORCA - 4.5T with recent V3 firmware on ORCA ESC.
SP - 4.5T or even 5T MMM with stock firmware on a SP ESC.

All using boost.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #2163
Tech Regular

Reason I was asking is I would like to grow up and play with the mod guys sooner then later. At my local hobby shop, if you were running a 10.5, you were looked down upon. I was thinking to start with a 7.5, and go from there. I only race indoor carpet, and none of the tracks are 1/8th scale size. Being that people from all over the world post here, I was just looking for opinions. And in most cases, a boosted 10.5 would probably do very well at the tracks I race on. Granted the straight away speed would suffer, but it would be far more easy to control infield. I just don't want to be "that guy" that is trying to play with the big boys and not getting respect for trying. And for the record, I felt the 10.5 and my friend bragging about it was pretty weak.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #2164
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just go with a 5.0t and call it a day. I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I was concerned I didn't have enough throttle control to use a low turn motor. Someone I race with who runs mod often told me to just get a 5.0t and not waste money on slower motors. My plan was to use the 5.0t with no boost but on the first day I was adding some in on my lrp. We were racing outdoor at the time on a 120x60 parking lot track but later went inside on our local carpet track that is only 80x35. You had to stay on top of the car a little more inside but it still wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #2165
Tech Elite

I put the following in reply to someone on the Xray forum, but thought I'd put it here as people have moaned about Xray bladders;

Quote:
Never had a problem reassembling them but others have mentioned that they do swell.

When putting the shock back together put the bladder in the top of the shock body, and using a blunt driver of some sort, gently 'stir' the bladder down into the body (oil will of course come out around it), now put the plastic top section with pivot ball onto the bladder.

Now carefully put the orange threaded cap over the plastic part (don't tighten yet)

Hold the shock in your fingers so that your index finger is holding that plastic part (and obviously the bladder underneath it), now screw down the metal cap, while doing so, the plastic part should not move, you only want the cap to rotate while screwing down.

I've been running Xray for over 4years and have only had to replace 2 bladders due to damage.

Skiddins
RD Disco
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #2166
Tech Adept

Skiddins I replied on xray I can copy and paste on hear but only need for 1 conversation, next time at ews we could whip ur shocks apart and see if urs were the same as mine? J
Jampot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #2167
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampot View Post
Skiddins I replied on xray I can copy and paste on hear but only need for 1 conversation, next time at ews we could whip ur shocks apart and see if urs were the same as mine? J
I posted here purely for reference for others, not yourself.

I have already had my shocks apart once since I built the kit, rebuilt them with the same oil a couple of weeks ago. They're fine.

If you want we can look at yours, as you have the problem.

Skiddins
RD Disco
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #2168
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I posted here purely for reference for others, not yourself.

I have already had my shocks apart once since I built the kit, rebuilt them with the same oil a couple of weeks ago. They're fine.

If you want we can look at yours, as you have the problem.

Skiddins
I've never had a problem with xray bladders, in fact I've never had an issue with any bladders! Mine got binned mate, hence asking xray if supplier had been changed due to the amount the swelled! What oils are u running? Maybe they do not like associated oils any more!
I promise u though on the day I had to use the top plastic bit with the ball and hold the bladder down! U could not roll it on for excessive oil! When u got from one side to the other it just pops the first side back out! U could not even push it straight on!
At first I thought ok in a rush too much oil so poured it out to start again I checked still way to big with no oil in.
If u look back at my previous posts I was saying how amazing the shocks are... U know ur self they are amazing but 2 nd time rebuild and this happened!

J
Jampot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #2169
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

That sounds like the way I've always done my XRay shocks. For me it makes it easier to hold the plastic cap stationary by inserting an allen tool into the hole and that gives me alot more to hold onto when things are oily.

I'm about 1/2 way thru the build of my new kit and everything has went well so far, shocks will be tonight.

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #2170
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I actually rebuilt my shocks first time since kit build 6 race days old . 3 were flawless but one was empty ... not sure if this was cause of a wreck or what but I will keep tabs on it from here out . It seemed to happen all at once . So it was probably a wreck and just didn't notice any oil on arm .
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #2171
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone notice that the manual says to assemble the bladders together with the cap, then thread it onto the shock body. I've never done it like that but it does work, I suppose it also minimizes handling of the bladders. Hmmm
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #2172
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
I actually rebuilt my shocks first time since kit build 6 race days old . 3 were flawless but one was empty ... not sure if this was cause of a wreck or what but I will keep tabs on it from here out . It seemed to happen all at once . So it was probably a wreck and just didn't notice any oil on arm .
I have had that happen a couple times. The pistons are slightly undersized for the i.d. of the shock body and allow quite a bit of shock shaft deflection. Under normal use I think the o-ring is capable of maintaining a seal, but when slamming the car over a dot etc...the sudden movement causes oil to blow by the seal due to the shaft deflecting?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #2173
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

On my local outdoor parking lot track boosted 10.5 is all the track can handle, the 'fast' guys tried lower turns but weren't any faster and less consistent. As it is full mod is only about a lap up (indoors) on 17.5 blinky.
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #2174
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys, I've just bought my T4 and it's actually my first touring car. is there anything I need to know about the T4 I've started the build last night, I'm very impress with the quality of the kit.

I've got the 64P 106T spur, What pinion should I start with 10.5T ?? Also is the long belt tensioner necessary? I've been told to get one as well.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #2175
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to Outtacontrol58

For those who have been running xray for a while, is this their best kit yet? I am wanting to get in to on road and hear xray is the way to go. And I like the fact that the t4 is a totally new car....
Outtacontrol58 is offline   Reply With Quote