R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #2146
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How far forward is everyone mounting their bodies or are you putting them right on the bumper?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #2147
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
How far forward is everyone mounting their bodies or are you putting them right on the bumper?
3mm off the bumper.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #2148
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
If you mount the body forward, it really helps to pad out the bumper with foam, the less flex the front end has, the longer the wheel wells last.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #2149
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
If you mount the body forward, it really helps to pad out the bumper with foam, the less flex the front end has, the longer the wheel wells last.
Not sure if this is the preferred method . But I mount my body as far back as I can this way my wing is supported better and still acts like I moved my wing back so I have more rear down force for the high-speed sweeper..
I also cut a custom foam bumper and shape it to body so it helps with corner impacts .
And I also added a 5th body mount on top of one of the steering posts . I can make a body last 1000 wrecks with very little cracks In front fender area.
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #2150
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Not sure if this is the preferred method . But I mount my body as far back as I can this way my wing is supported better and still acts like I moved my wing back so I have more rear down force for the high-speed sweeper..
I also cut a custom foam bumper and shape it to body so it helps with corner impacts .
And I also added a 5th body mount on top of one of the steering posts . I can make a body last 1000 wrecks with very little cracks In front fender area.
Justin, we mount the bodies further forward for the extra steering that it gives. I cant remember the last time I mounted my body against the bumper.

Texas EOS 2016
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #2151
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
Justin, we mount the bodies further forward for the extra steering that it gives. I cant remember the last time I mounted my body against the bumper.
Never thought of it like that . Might try that some time when I need more steering. Tks
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #2152
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
Will say tho my foam bumper is bigger than stock ( goes further out than stock bumper .
I've never cut the wheel out forward of the indent.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #2153
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
This is preference, I can say that running mostly 17.5 and some 13.5, I never have a car that is loose in a sweeper, usually looking for steering.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #2154
Tech Initiate

hello
have you tried new team cso spring
greetings
txili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #2155
Tech Regular

Default Opinion Please....

What is the "slowest" mod motor that is respected among racers in that class? I know of somebody that bragged about being TQ and winning with a 10.5, which is a modified motor, technically. Just wondering what people in a modified class feel is modified.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #2156
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
What is the "slowest" mod motor that is respected among racers in that class? I know of somebody that bragged about being TQ and winning with a 10.5, which is a modified motor, technically. Just wondering what people in a modified class feel is modified.
My opinion is that it's all relative to the track on which you are running. On a small tight track a 10.5 might be fine, slightly bigger a boosted 10.5 might be fine. On a large track, where you run 1/8th scale machines also, a 5.5 boosted would probably be about the minimum.

When boosting is involved you can get away with higher winds very easily.

That said, slowest is only slow when you aren't winning.
erchn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #2157
Tech Regular

The term "Mod" is really just a carryover from brushed motors where Spec motor design was more restricted than it is now.
e.g. 27T and 19T had fixed timing, wire diameter and length.

10.5T is regarded as a stock motor but is normally very similar to the lower winds in the same range.
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #2158
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonetog View Post
The term "Mod" is really just a carryover from brushed motors where Spec motor design was more restricted than it is now.
e.g. 27T and 19T had fixed timing, wire diameter and length.

10.5T is regarded as a stock motor but is normally very similar to the lower winds in the same range.
ROAR considers 10.5 as "super stock." (but that's ROAR, don't know about other sanctioning bodies). I know Trinity labels 10.5 as stock too.

10.5 w/ a good boosted ESC could be extremely competitive with 8.5s and 7.5s.... maybe even 6.5s...
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #2159
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruption View Post
ROAR considers 10.5 as "super stock." (but that's ROAR, don't know about other sanctioning bodies). I know Trinity labels 10.5 as stock too.

10.5 w/ a good boosted ESC could be extremely competitive with 8.5s and 7.5s.... maybe even 6.5s...
Actually 10.5 or lower is considered modified. 13.5 is super stock and 17.5 is stock according to Roar rules.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #2160
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Actually 10.5 or lower is considered modified. 13.5 is super stock and 17.5 is stock according to Roar rules.
You're right... there's a bit of confusion in the rulebook, but it appears 10.5 is a spec, modified motor.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote