Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ill give your suggestions a try. Wouldn't removing Ackerman shims actually calm the car down? Also where do you get your much more oil? Any opinions on it versus ae?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is anyone willing to post a pic of their T4 motor mounts, with the motor installed ? I'm considering upgrading to a T4 sometime next year, but the apparent stripping spur gear issue has me hesitating.

If people who have had the problem could post pics of how their motors were mounted, with what motor mounting screws, I'm sure it would help try and comprehend the "problem" some people are having in this thread.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losiho
Is anyone willing to post a pic of their T4 motor mounts, with the motor installed ? I'm considering upgrading to a T4 sometime next year, but the apparent stripping spur gear issue has me hesitating.

If people who have had the problem could post pics of how their motors were mounted, with what motor mounting screws, I'm sure it would help try and comprehend the "problem" some people are having in this thread.
I had a few stripping issues when first running this style of mount on the top rebel, a pair of 2.5mm screws and a washer installed, and not a broken spur in 2 years
Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Losiho

If you read back over the last few pages you'll see that everyone seems to have sorted this out now.
The cause has been a variety of reasons from damaged motor screw holes to not installing the motor mount screws in the correct order etc.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by artwork
I have tried a bunch of combos but the best in my opinion is 2.7 both front and rear. I have gone up in the front oil to 400CST and 350CST in the rear. I think the balance is a bit better with the thicker oil up front. I will also say that the 350CST from Xray seems to be thinner than Muchmore 350CST. Either way the car feels better with the Muchmore oil all the way around. The Laziness you feel initially is probably more of a camber issues then anything else. The T4 seems to be able to handle the transitions of weight from side to side a bit better than previous platforms. You have to drive the T4 hard to get the lap times out of it, but luckily the car can handle abrupt direction changes very well. Also a couple of other options would be less ackermann shims or some toe out to help with initial turn in.

A couple of things about the T4 from my testing...the car rolls a lot and as such light weight bodies make a huge handling difference on this car more then the T3. The car is the best with Lightweight bodies. The car stays flatter and tends to have better corner speed.
The shocks need to be maintained...I have personally noticed that the o-ring on the bottom tends to allow more oil leakage then previous versions. This makes for a smoother shock but also more maintenance. I will say that the shocks are very nice and I am pleased that Xray finally included aluminum shocks with the kit.
I think overall the springs designed for this car tend to be too soft. Even the 2.9 springs feel too soft to me, especially for the slower classes. You end up scrubbing off speed with the softer springs, at least with my setups . I am pretty sure that Xray was concerned that the shorter springs would feel stiffer on the car, but in practice they seem a tad too soft.
With the additional amount of chassis roll it tends to gunk up the motor side of the chassis very easily. Make sure you keep the bottom of the chassis clean.
As weird as it sounds I am working on trying to make the car roll less to keep if more efficient through the entire corner.

Like most Xrays I have driven the car seems to suffer the most mid to exit, but I will tell you that the T4 has improved this over the T3 platform. Now it seems the car rolls to deep into the middle and kind of gets stuck. With some more setup work I think this can be fixed, but not quite there yet.
Setup wise this car is different then the T3...and it reacts to changes better then the T3 so far.
A few guys here have had the centre of the spring adjusters milled out so they can move up a slightly past the lower edge of the top cap, this allows them to use any of the standard springs as well as HPI's etc.

If you want harder short springs, you might want to look into the T-Shox springs which seem to be fairly hard. Their soft asphalt (green) are very slightly softer than 2.9, the medium asphalt (blue) are very slightly harder than 2.9's.
My carpet T-Shox haven't arrived yet so I have no idea how different they are.

Last edited by Skiddins; 12-24-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
I have tried a bunch of combos but the best in my opinion is 2.7 both front and rear. I have gone up in the front oil to 400CST and 350CST in the rear. I think the balance is a bit better with the thicker oil up front. I will also say that the 350CST from Xray seems to be thinner than Muchmore 350CST. Either way the car feels better with the Muchmore oil all the way around. The Laziness you feel initially is probably more of a camber issues then anything else. The T4 seems to be able to handle the transitions of weight from side to side a bit better than previous platforms. You have to drive the T4 hard to get the lap times out of it, but luckily the car can handle abrupt direction changes very well. Also a couple of other options would be less ackermann shims or some toe out to help with initial turn in.

A couple of things about the T4 from my testing...the car rolls a lot and as such light weight bodies make a huge handling difference on this car more then the T3. The car is the best with Lightweight bodies. The car stays flatter and tends to have better corner speed.
The shocks need to be maintained...I have personally noticed that the o-ring on the bottom tends to allow more oil leakage then previous versions. This makes for a smoother shock but also more maintenance. I will say that the shocks are very nice and I am pleased that Xray finally included aluminum shocks with the kit.
I think overall the springs designed for this car tend to be too soft. Even the 2.9 springs feel too soft to me, especially for the slower classes. You end up scrubbing off speed with the softer springs, at least with my setups . I am pretty sure that Xray was concerned that the shorter springs would feel stiffer on the car, but in practice they seem a tad too soft.
With the additional amount of chassis roll it tends to gunk up the motor side of the chassis very easily. Make sure you keep the bottom of the chassis clean.
As weird as it sounds I am working on trying to make the car roll less to keep if more efficient through the entire corner.

Like most Xrays I have driven the car seems to suffer the most mid to exit, but I will tell you that the T4 has improved this over the T3 platform. Now it seems the car rolls to deep into the middle and kind of gets stuck. With some more setup work I think this can be fixed, but not quite there yet.
Setup wise this car is different then the T3...and it reacts to changes better then the T3 so far.
Thanks for the info on your setup! Could you post your complete setup on the Xray Forum? Thanks.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

With the lower center of gravity u want it slightly softer! The weight transfer pushes the tires into the track. If u have to hard and not enough weight u will just get a tire scrubbing across the surface.
I certainly did not have mine stopping in the corner, actually if on full lock I did this was due to the driveshafts, get ecs ones in and it automatically sorted that issue.
T shock springs are softer than xray's certain tracks have the benefit of softer due to tires and grip level. 2.7 front and 2.5 rear 40wt 4 hole 1.1's, I found this stable with good rotation.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

everybody has been looking for my blacked out T4 so here it is. ran it box stock this Sunday at Thunder RC Raceway and set EA fast lap of the event award in the main with only 3 1/2 runs on the car. lost a steering link in round 3 as the screws needed a good tightening after the first 2 runs. only thing I think I'm going to change is put a gear diff in the front with 500,000 in it as the spool is touchy and inconsistent on carpet.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
A few guys here have had the centre of the spring adjusters milled out so they can move up a slightly past the lower edge of the top cap, this allows them to use any of the standard springs as well as HPI's etc.

If you want harder short springs, you might want to look into the T-Shox springs which seem to be fairly hard. Their soft asphalt (green) are very slightly softer than 2.9, the medium asphalt (blue) are very slightly harder than 2.9's.
My carpet T-Shox haven't arrived yet so I have no idea how different they are.
Please don't take this as criticism, everyone is more than free to find what works for them. But, doesn't milling out the shock parts to accept the older springs somewhat defeat the purpose behind the new shock design and compromise it to some degree? I am running the progressive shocks F & R w/ 350 cst oil and have never been more pleased with x-ray shocks. This is med bite carpet, 17.5, 90'x35' track. just my 2 cents.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
everybody has been looking for my blacked out T4 so here it is. ran it box stock this Sunday at Thunder RC Raceway and set EA fast lap of the event award in the main with only 3 1/2 runs on the car. lost a steering link in round 3 as the screws needed a good tightening after the first 2 runs. only thing I think I'm going to change is put a gear diff in the front with 500,000 in it as the spool is touchy and inconsistent on carpet.

Personally I'm a fan of XRay Orange, but when I looked at yours sunday I thought it was an A+ job done, looked like the factory T2'06 black. Yours, along with the other 2 T4s were wicked quick and looked very good in the sweeper.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

I run two T4s with 64 pitch gears and have ever stripped a gear. I'm running the setup posted by Corey for Andrew Hardman. Great cars.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikel33
Please don't take this as criticism, everyone is more than free to find what works for them. But, doesn't milling out the shock parts to accept the older springs somewhat defeat the purpose behind the new shock design and compromise it to some degree?
Not really, it just allows them to use almost any springs they want, as the newer shocks won't accept the 'standard' size of spring that everything else uses.

Skiddins
Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Nice to see someone using a proper ESC

Skiddins

P.S. Man up and remove that switch, Black Diamonds don't need them
Old 12-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Dirla ur fast lap in the main was only .007 faster . Lol that's OK tho I still had another tooth or 2 to spare. Also I noticed in the main at some point I blew out a tire . Think that might have been why my car was edgie near the end of the race .
Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Nice to see someone using a proper ESC

Skiddins

P.S. Man up and remove that switch, Black Diamonds don't need them
that's powered by http://www.teamnovak.com/ it's the only way I roll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.