Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Sean B.
+1
After all that, your not gonna describe what the problem was?
Haha. I had to let everything soak in. We are pretty certain at this point that.... A: At first I wasn't tightening the motor screws enough. (I've wrecked enough end bells in my 30 years of doing this that I have learned to be a little more gentle on things) And .... B: In all my messing around I had partially stripped on of the holes in my motor. Longer screw with a washer to get a little more bite in the threads and I drove the car like a maniac all day with no problems. Figuring this out was a group effort between some really great people. Shawn / Snowy and Paul L really were determined to get this figured out for me and for that I say thank you Thanks to all of you as well for listening to my rants
Old 12-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1
After all that, your not gonna describe what the problem was?
As he stated he had a stripped out motor screw so basically running one motor screw. The boards at his track are also screwed to the floor so any hard hit the motor would shift or if jamming the brakes on from full trigger could also throw the motor forward in the mount.
Glad we could help and come up and race for the day.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Breezy1
The boards at his track are also screwed to the floor so any hard hit the motor would shift.....
Yeah, thats always rough. Those are the tracks that have a hobby shop on site!
Am I right? Ching$Ching

Glad you guys worked it out
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, Those are the tracks that have a hobby shop on site!
Am I right? Ching$Ching
LOL Unfortunately they do not stock any Xray parts or else they could have made quite a killing off of me . Nexus racing sure did.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

May I also ad.. The setup advice I was given made the car an absolute ROCKETSHIP!! Now if I only had a little driver left in me
Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davin
May I also ad.. The setup advice I was given made the car an absolute ROCKETSHIP!! Now if I only had a little driver left in me
What advice were you given?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, do tell!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

I will fill out a setup sheet and post it later
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davin
I will fill out a setup sheet and post it later
When you've filled it out can you tell us how you had it before so we can see what you changed to improve it.

Skiddins

P.S. Glad you've solved the problem
Old 12-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Drove a few packs with my t4 today. Feels pretty good, a touch lazy initially. I don't really have any complaints. Very comparable to my bd7.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
OK, point taken.
It's just strange that when I asked around in the pits at a big event a couple of weeks back (100 drivers and LOTS of T4's), Only one person knew of anyone who had stripped a spur, and that was after a massive crash.

Are you running 48dp or 64dp?

Could there be a small piece of crud stuck in between a couple of the teeth?
Have you tightened the nut up very tight, or just enough?

Are your spur gears truly round or is there a manufacturing problem?
I'm running kit the spur - 84T 48P.
The nut and all other screws tightened as much as possible without stripping threads or hex heads.

As for the spur that stripped, it's hard to tell why as the teeth were completely shagged. I only worked out what had happened when I found the motor forward after replacing the spur and inspecting after running noticing the teeth just engaged, there was nothing stuck between the teeth.

I expect the Spur to be true as it was new.

There have been a couple of other suggestions flagged as a work around such as using a screw with 2.5mm hex, I'll just have to explore this or other options.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B00t13g
Drove a few packs with my t4 today. Feels pretty good, a touch lazy initially. I don't really have any complaints. Very comparable to my bd7.
The laziness seems to come from the kit rear progressive springs, most people I know typically run 2.7 front and rear.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You guys might want to look into using a torque screwdriver like the Wiha 29153 torque blade system.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The laziness seems to come from the kit rear progressive springs, most people I know typically run 2.7 front and rear.
That's not surprising. It's really only lazy initially. I thought about trying the stiffer progressives up front. I have all of the available springs to try out so it should be easy to get it dialed in.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B00t13g
That's not surprising. It's really only lazy initially. I thought about trying the stiffer progressives up front. I have all of the available springs to try out so it should be easy to get it dialed in.
I have tried a bunch of combos but the best in my opinion is 2.7 both front and rear. I have gone up in the front oil to 400CST and 350CST in the rear. I think the balance is a bit better with the thicker oil up front. I will also say that the 350CST from Xray seems to be thinner than Muchmore 350CST. Either way the car feels better with the Muchmore oil all the way around. The Laziness you feel initially is probably more of a camber issues then anything else. The T4 seems to be able to handle the transitions of weight from side to side a bit better than previous platforms. You have to drive the T4 hard to get the lap times out of it, but luckily the car can handle abrupt direction changes very well. Also a couple of other options would be less ackermann shims or some toe out to help with initial turn in.

A couple of things about the T4 from my testing...the car rolls a lot and as such light weight bodies make a huge handling difference on this car more then the T3. The car is the best with Lightweight bodies. The car stays flatter and tends to have better corner speed.
The shocks need to be maintained...I have personally noticed that the o-ring on the bottom tends to allow more oil leakage then previous versions. This makes for a smoother shock but also more maintenance. I will say that the shocks are very nice and I am pleased that Xray finally included aluminum shocks with the kit.
I think overall the springs designed for this car tend to be too soft. Even the 2.9 springs feel too soft to me, especially for the slower classes. You end up scrubbing off speed with the softer springs, at least with my setups . I am pretty sure that Xray was concerned that the shorter springs would feel stiffer on the car, but in practice they seem a tad too soft.
With the additional amount of chassis roll it tends to gunk up the motor side of the chassis very easily. Make sure you keep the bottom of the chassis clean.
As weird as it sounds I am working on trying to make the car roll less to keep if more efficient through the entire corner.

Like most Xrays I have driven the car seems to suffer the most mid to exit, but I will tell you that the T4 has improved this over the T3 platform. Now it seems the car rolls to deep into the middle and kind of gets stuck. With some more setup work I think this can be fixed, but not quite there yet.
Setup wise this car is different then the T3...and it reacts to changes better then the T3 so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.