R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1981
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
Just finished up building my t4. Went together as well as any other x ray I've built. The car seems to have some nice features such as the new motor mount and definitely the servo mount. We'll see how it compares to my bd7. I'm starting with Paul's Cleveland setup with a few tweaks such as 1k in the rear diff and different Ackerman settings.
Just make sure you put the motor mount together and tighten it in the correct order like the manual say's.

Otherwise you'll join the list of people who strip gears every 10s because they've not done what they were told.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #1982
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Just finished up building my t4. Went together as well as any other x ray I've built. The car seems to have some nice features such as the new motor mount and definitely the servo mount. We'll see how it compares to my bd7. I'm starting with Paul's Cleveland setup with a few tweaks such as 1k in the rear diff and different Ackerman settings.
Just have to ask why you would change things without running them first? A great racer once told me "sometimes a setup is 1 change away from being a bag of a$$."
Breezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #1983
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Shawn and Blake.

Thanks for your help today. You guys are truly a class act and an asset to the hobby we all love so much. Hope to see you guys again at HTO. Merry Christmas!

Davin
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #1984
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy1 View Post
Just have to ask why you would change things without running them first? A great racer once told me "sometimes a setup is 1 change away from being a bag of a$$."
In Mackie's defense, 2k oil in the rear diff at Mikes has never worked in a xray car. He will know tmw if he made a mistake or not.

Texas EOS 2016
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #1985
Tech Master

Old 12-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #1986
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Just make sure you put the motor mount together and tighten it in the correct order like the manual say's.

Otherwise you'll join the list of people who strip gears every 10s because they've not done what they were told.

Skiddins

Old 12-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #1987
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
In Mackie's defense, 2k oil in the rear diff at Mikes has never worked in a xray car. He will know tmw if he made a mistake or not.
Thanks Chris. You're welcome to drive my car this weekend if yours isn't built yet.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #1988
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just because I'm lazy, what holes are everyone using on the body posts for a ms6?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #1989
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post

Skiddins
I respect everything you post here as it is usually the most thought out and practical answer, but please don't generalise why people are having issues with the spur stripping.

My personal experience has shown the motor has been moving causing one spur to strip and lucky I didn't strip another. I am still to find why this is happening as I have assembled and tightened the mount in the correct order, and I have checked the motor screws being able to screw in enough to tighten sufficiently; I cannot tighten the screws any tighter than I have, yet the motor still moves.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #1990
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh28 View Post
I respect everything you post here as it is usually the most thought out and practical answer, but please don't generalise why people are having issues with the spur stripping.

My personal experience has shown the motor has been moving causing one spur to strip and lucky I didn't strip another. I am still to find why this is happening as I have assembled and tightened the mount in the correct order, and I have checked the motor screws being able to screw in enough to tighten sufficiently; I cannot tighten the screws any tighter than I have, yet the motor still moves.
Personally, I have been using 3x8mm cap screws (you need a 2.5mm hex driver for this) and a washer underneath it. You'll be able to apply lots of torque, and the motor doesn't move. Hope that helps
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #1991
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Are you saying the motor is slipping on the motor mount, or is the mount itself moving?

If the motor is slipping in the mount try taking an M3 washer, put it on a file and drag it across it with the tip of your finger, just enough to break the glaze off the washer's surface. That will significantly inprove the grip and improve the holding power of the torque applied.

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #1992
Tech Adept

Quote:
Really curious about the comparison as I considered switching to yokomo. It would be interesting to see if the cars perform differently in different classes, i.e. if one of them does better in modified than in stock.

Regards
niemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #1993
Tech Elite

Quote:

OK, point taken.
It's just strange that when I asked around in the pits at a big event a couple of weeks back (100 drivers and LOTS of T4's), Only one person knew of anyone who had stripped a spur, and that was after a massive crash.

Are you running 48dp or 64dp?

Could there be a small piece of crud stuck in between a couple of the teeth?
Have you tightened the nut up very tight, or just enough?

Are your spur gears truly round or is there a manufacturing problem?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #1994
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin View Post
Shawn and Blake.

Thanks for your help today. You guys are truly a class act and an asset to the hobby we all love so much. Hope to see you guys again at HTO. Merry Christmas!

Davin
Were they able to solve your problems? What was the cause?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #1995
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin View Post
Shawn and Blake.

Davin

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Were they able to solve your problems? What was the cause?
+1
After all that, your not gonna describe what the problem was?
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote