R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #1876
Regional Moderator

Those who have stripped a spur, do you have the wedge shaped centerline chassis weight? Conversely, if you haven't stripped a spur, do you have this weight? Just a thought.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #1877
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

No I have stickie weights in my car . Now I am running a D3.5 with a revtech end bell which has more surface area . How is ur spurs stripping ?? Is motor moving or is mount flexing or motor tweaking ? How much gap u have between motor and chassis ? As I have said (along with a few others ) the slots r oversized and motor can twist. So make sure u push motor towards chassis every time u tighten motor this should put motor extremely close to chassis to minimize flex with the mount . But if anyone what's to trade a 2012+$ for a their T4 pm me ?

Last edited by jlfx car audio; 12-15-2012 at 08:38 PM.
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #1878
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

I noticed that some pinions (bigger ones) will make contact with the motor screw heads.
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #1879
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

I have ran with the center weight and without. I am sorry if I come across cocky. But this car has only finished 3 or 4 races without failing since I have had it. I am at the end of my rope with it guys
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #1880
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Will also trade for t3 2012/ Tamiya or HB.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #1881
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampot View Post
you'll find the front motor mount is a tuning aid for flex as stated by xray them selves.
I thought so, too. But I have scoured the manual, and published T4 literature yet am unable to find any mention of using the mount assembly to tune for flex, nor can I find any reference that indicates I should look for it. They do mention that the motor mount design is meant to eliminate tweak.

So now I am wondering: Where I can find where xray stated the motor mount is a tuning aid for flex?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #1882
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is the spur issue when you run 64p or 48p or either?
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #1883
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ehlert

hey guys i race with davin and also own a spur gear eating t4,ive owened every xray since they had a t1fk04, 1st time i can say im not happy with a xray!!!! if i get a sweet offer for a new hotbodies or a tamiya 417 i maybe saying good by to a old friend.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #1884
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anything over 112t in 64p spurs stick out the bottom of the chassis... could this be the problem?
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #1885
Regional Moderator

I wonder if it would help to fill the space between the motor and the machined area under the motor? If the motor to chassis gap changes at all, then the spur and pinion are no longer co-planar, and that would kill the spur in short order even if the mesh is perfect.

Not sure what to use to fill the gap, though. Something similar to a wheel chock or door stop.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #1886
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin View Post
I have ran with the center weight and without. I am sorry if I come across cocky. But this car has only finished 3 or 4 races without failing since I have had it. I am at the end of my rope with it guys
Have you tried using washers on the motor screws?
Make sure the screws aren't bottoming out in the motor before becoming properly tight against the mount.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #1887
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It would be interesting to have a picture of the pinion spur mesh, motor mount, and motor mount removed from car and sitting on a flat surface.

After some bit hits using a 12th scale I invested in a capture washer (cone washer) and the motor hasn't moved since.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #1888
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin View Post
I truly do not mean for this to sound the way you might take it but you must be overlooking something. I have cartwheeled off the track, jumped plow disks, "missed" trying to straight shot an end of straight chicane multiple times, and slammed into cars stuck on the pipe (all of this before my third pack today ). I am still on the same 96 tooth 64 pitch gear I built the car with. I know Xray doesn't mention in the book to use washers on the motor screws but I always have so that I don't put dimples into the mount. I have not had the motor move yet and I only tighten the screws twisting the wrench with my thumb and two fingers.

If you still have the stripped spur in your car fit a new spur of the same size without moving the motor. Check the mesh with the new gear installed.....did the motor move?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo

Last edited by Xpress; 12-16-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: idea...
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #1889
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When building it, just like the rear split suspension holders can twist slightly, so can the layshaft bulkheads. I was careful tightening mine to make sure they were straight. Could this be the problem people are having?

Maybe XRAY could include a small block that snugly fits between the bulkheads if turned one way and a little wider if you turn it the other way, to just fit between the split suspension blocks. Just for keeping them dead straight while assembling.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #1890
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
When building it, just like the rear split suspension holders can twist slightly, so can the layshaft bulkheads. I was careful tightening mine to make sure they were straight. Could this be the problem people are having?

Maybe XRAY could include a small block that snugly fits between the bulkheads if turned one way and a little wider if you turn it the other way, to just fit between the split suspension blocks. Just for keeping them dead straight while assembling.
Thats a good idea
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote