Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hmmm, one of our local racers brought out his new T4 tonight for club racing. He stripped 2 spur gears over the course of the night.

I was ready to retire one of my 12's for a T4...not so sure now. I hope there's a fix in the works.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

motor mount not tightened enough or evenly?
maybe screws that hold the spur loosened?
motor moved in a crash?
too tight or loose of a mesh to begin with?

My T4 has seen a few thousand laps so far using the same 64pitch spur that I put in when I built the car. I am only running a T4 in 17.5 blinky right now, but if there was an inherent design flaw causing spur gears to strip, I figure I would have noticed it. She's taken a few good hits including one that sheared off a ball stud.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pcar951
Hmmm, one of our local racers brought out his new T4 tonight for club racing. He stripped 2 spur gears over the course of the night.

I was ready to retire one of my 12's for a T4...not so sure now. I hope there's a fix in the works.
There is;

(1) Build the car properly according to the instructions.
Too many people have put the motor mount in slightly loose (as instructed) but then not tightened it up later in the build. This means that even though the motor is tight the mount can move slightly, particularly in crashes.

(2) Tighten the motor correctly
As mentioned in the last few posts, check the mesh once you've tightened the screws. As the motor mount is quite thick (5mm) you might need to be carefull on which screws mount into the motor. It is possible (depending on the motor) for the screws to actually bottom out in the motor itself before fully tightening onto the motor mount.

I've raced mine almost every week since it came out and haven't #touch wood# broken or bent a single piece of the car.

Skiddins
Old 12-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I have the same spur on my car from when it was built. I have had some really hard hits, and have broken a few c hubs and steering blocks, but have not once stripped a spur. I have washers between the screw and the mount that are quite a bit larger then the crew head and the motor never slips during a crash.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Skiddins you'll find the front motor mount is a tuning aid for flex as stated by xray them selves. I last night stripped a spur, the car in front crashed and I hit him it happened so fast I could of done nothing. I have made some big mistakes and got away with it. I have run 64dp since I started many moons ago and never stripped a spur, so would happily say I know how to mesh it. If it is meshed properly and u don't have any big mistakes I honestly can't see how u could strip a spur. I will say xray spurs are not perfectly round so always check ur motor mesh at different points of the spur.p.s I'm not teaching how to suck eggs when I say this. J
Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've yet to strip a spur .. using 64P, steel washers with steel motor screws.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Ditto ran my car 8 race days and still haven't had to fix one part ...
Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thanks for the re-assurance guys! My T3/12's are really, really good but, I'm gonna try the T4 just cause you all said said so!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ByteStream
I've yet to strip a spur .. using 64P, steel washers with steel motor screws.
Yep, not so sure what is so confusing about this. Hit anything hard enough and a motor can move. This isn't something isolated to the T4.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samnelso
First, don't ream your arms.
Guess Xray will have to fix page 14 of the instruction manual then
Old 12-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
agreed. Their molds seem consistent. If the arm needs reamed something else is wrong.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jampot
Skiddins you'll find the front motor mount is a tuning aid for flex as stated by xray them selves. I last night stripped a spur, the car in front crashed and I hit him it happened so fast I could of done nothing. I have made some big mistakes and got away with it. I have run 64dp since I started many moons ago and never stripped a spur, so would happily say I know how to mesh it. If it is meshed properly and u don't have any big mistakes I honestly can't see how u could strip a spur. I will say xray spurs are not perfectly round so always check ur motor mesh at different points of the spur.p.s I'm not teaching how to suck eggs when I say this. J
The nut at the front of the mount may well be a tuning aid, but we all still need to make sure it's done up tight, I'm not saying I will never strip a spur either.
But so far as I can see there is nothing weaker or 'incorrect' about the current design, certainly no more than any of the other mounts we've all used.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I had a cfex photon for about yr and it used the same motor mount design and tho it would bend (his car didn't use a top deck)I neverstripped a gear . And he had a single cf plate holding spur in place... its not the design that's destroying spurs on cars...
Old 12-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Originally Posted by samnelso
agreed. Their molds seem consistent. If the arm needs reamed something else is wrong.
Put the pivot pin in the wishbone and hold them both in the air by the pivot pin, now try to flick the wishbone, it should should swing backwards and forwards quite a few times.
If it appears to stick at all, the wishbone needs reaming.

If the it does swing free but binds when assemble onto the car, you know it isn't the pin sticking inside the wishbone... look elsewhere.

Skiddins
Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

The motor mount on this car is a MAJOR design flaw PERIOD!! 3 more spur gears today. Don't tell me I didn't build the car properly either it has been torn down and checked over and reassemble to kit spec 3 times now. I am not the only person with this problem. But yet whenever someone posts on here about it they get told they built the car wrong. Martin Hudy himself said he has had issues with the car eating spurs. My only hope is that they "optimize" the motor mount in the 14. Until then I'm going back to my 2012. Inbox if interested in a T4 all it needs is a spur gear

Davin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.