R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)
Default Carbon Fiber Shafts for Touring cars

I have been developed and testing a lightweight alternative drive shaft for the Associated TC3 / TC4, HPI Pro 4 and Tamiya Evo4 and I am wondering what kind of interest is out there for such an option part. They will not flex or bend at high speeds like the stock parts and are approximately 40-45% lighter than the stock part. I have been making them with either composite tips (salvaged from TC3 shafts) or anodized aluminum tips with a 100% pure hollow carbon fiber center section attached using ultra strong epoxy. They seem to be the ultimate set up for Stock and 19T turn racing and I have been testing them at my local track with several different drivers of varying ability. If anyone is interested, please PM or email me at ewippler@visteon.com if you have any questions, comments or other possible uses for this idea.
ewippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Team Bomber beat you to it.
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=321
Sorry to disapoint.
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Maybe, but they don't/won't cost $40 and are not out of stock.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Not being mean or disrespectful.
I was trying to be helpful in letting you know that there is some compitition for the product you are selling.
I am sure you won't charge $40.00. I get my CF drive shafts from here.
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=240&id=4684
They can be in stock in a couple days.
I am just trying to be helpful, not putting down your product or anything like that. I agree the CF drive shaft do seem to help in lightening up the drive train.
That being all said,
Good Luck with your venture.
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I remember when the TC3 came out and had carbon shaft. A bunch of manufactures started making aluminum ones. Then AE started making aluminum shafts and now there are a bunch of companies making carbon ones. Go figure.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
Tech Elite

No problem. I am just a racer who likes to build things (I think I am starting to have more fun making little parts than racing these days). Figured if I could make one for myself, I could make a few more for my follow racers. I had a similar shaft for a Tamiya TB01 a few years ago that was a great weight savings, but it came appart using a 10T modified in the car. Figured I could do better and after a few years, finally found a way to do so.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
Tech Elite

The associated shaft, oddly enough, was marketed as a carbon shaft. In realiity, it was made from fiberglass. It flexes a lot at speed and is slightly heaver. I also found that the later Associated shafts were nt as strong as earlier ones. My guess is the reason they switch was due to cost. It was cheaper to replace with aluminum then continue making the three piece composit shafts.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Default Drive shafts

I run a TC3 and have bent the AE aluminum shaft and recently switched to a Niftec Hollow Titanium and it also has developed a wobble. I was going to try one of the Bomber units but as you pointed out they are never in stock. In the usa there is always room for another competitor. That is the great thing about Capitalism, it has a way of weeding out the weak sisters!

Paul
pcmlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Paul,
Let me know if you want to try one. If installed properly, I don't think the carbon shafts will cause you any issues. But if not installed properly, they are likely to be damaged in hard impacts just like the others (they will not bend, but might splinter). I have had a few rookie drivers give some test samples a try (they went through 3-4 AE aluminum shafts each) and they have not had any issues to date.

Oh, I don't plan to weed out anyone - not much of a gardener. Just trying to have a little fun in a hobby I enjoy. I treat it strictly as something fun to do and not a way of supporting myself. I will be happy if I can make a few dozen of these things. Thanks for showing some interest.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

RCManiax.ch is making a carbon shaft for several cars, for the TC4 it's 67% lighter than the stoc one but they cost something like $50, if you make it for $40 I would definately buy it, just make sure to do enough tests, so it will not break in a crash (I thin the first Yokomo one for the SD had some issues).
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #11
Tech Elite

I am offering them up at $30. So far I have tested them in TC3s/TC4s in stock and 19T foam classes on ultra high grip carpet. They have all held up beautifully. I also made a similar shaft for the HPI Pro4, but it has yet to be tested (a local guy is interested in having the first one). The pro 4 should be more forgiving in a crash than the AE cars due to its upper deck.

The TC3 / TC4 aluminum shaft came in two diameters. One was 5.5mm constant diameter and the other had a tapered middle at 6.5mm diameter. They weighed 9.9g and 13.7gs respectively. The one I made is 5.2g (w / plastic tips) and 5.5-5.7g (w / aluminum tips).
Old 03-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I am interested in one for the Pro 4.
Let me know how I can get my hands on one.

Chris
Mach10_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

how can I order?
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #14
Tech Elite

PM or email me at ewippler@visteon.com and I can supply details for those that are interested.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Will the EVO4 shaft fit the EVOIII? not sure but i dont think so. yeah the carbon fiber is alot lighter in rotating mass, and they dont bend in a hit.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote