Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Opinions on favorite motor builders? >

Opinions on favorite motor builders?

Opinions on favorite motor builders?

Old 03-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Really there are 4 motor "builders" that we regualarly deal with in RC... EPIC, TOP, YOK, and Mabuchi... all others are "tuners"...

dgullickson- nice to know.. and sure beats the hell out of trinity's

-pull motor out of box
-stick 4499's and red/green springs into motor
-run on dyno just long enough to get numbers
-print label
-stick into package

BTW: my favorite motor "builder"..... mabuchi and my favorite "tuner for those.... ME....lol here's my tuning regimine

-- pull motor out of package
-- oil bushings
-- put it in the car
-- put a big gear on it
-- race....... and my motors are just as fast as anyone elses....LOL

but seriously as for tuned motors I personally have had very good luck with Fantom.....
Old 03-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by dgullickson
We all have our favorite motors we buy and who we like to buy from. So I wont tell you mine are the best I will simply answer your question as to what we do:

-We first check the Magnetic field and log into an Excell sheet
-Magnets are Zapped using a Team 1 Magnet Zapper
-Magnetic field is then taken again and results are logged giving me a percentage in the increase of the Magnets.
-We then turn the comms
-Polish Bushing and Armature shafts using a special creme I found.
-We then put motor together and center armature in the can using the magnetic field and then shimming.
- We then install brushes and springs (tension being the same on both sides for even brush wear), lube the bushings and spin it up @ 2 volts for 60 seconds.
- Pull brushes out and align by brush wear not by an alignment tool. You get better contact doing it this way to make sure the brush is wearing evenly from the top left corner of brush to the bottom right and vica versa.
- Once hoods are aligned we then break the brushes in fully @ 2 volts for 300 seconds.
-Stiffer spring now goes on the positive side.
- Motor then sits for atleast an hour to room tempature and is run again for 30 seconds @ 2 volts, and is then put on the Dyno for results.

There is a bit more I do to my stock motors that I keep to myself and I can gaurantee it is nothing illegal, infact all our motors are ROAR legal and meet all standards of ROAR and soon we will be an affiliate of ROAR... This is just how we do our motors and is our opinion.
Quite right, & the biggest difference between the tuners & someone doing it all himself is that with any machine-wound motor(namely ALL stocks & most 19 turn motors), you can't guarantee if one particular armature will turn out ok, or be junk, & many times, you won't know how good it can be until you've already done all the work on it, & unfortunately a dog is a dog, nothing will change that. But the tuners I trust have already tested all their motors before we pay our money for 'em, so they've already disposed of the dog motors(many times by selling those as bashing motors or lower level motors) & the competition level ones that they sell you can count on. THAT'S what makes a tuner worth going to(& I've also had good luck with Fantom, Team 1, Paradigm, Fukuyama & have also seen excellent results from others like Putnam, Banzai, EA, etc.).....
Old 03-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Your exactly right! All the tuners that have been mentioned do great work. Speaking for my own Company we dont sell a "dog" those get sold as a sport motor. I mean lets be real here, when you buy a sport battery pack you know its one that hasnt met "spec" same applies with motor. Its a way to market something and still make your money back, Supply and Demand - it will never end.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

I've had great results with KC racing.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

See avatar.

Fastest in the NorthWest.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Axiom
Old 03-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

The only tuner motors I've bought are Paradigm and Axiom stock and 19t motors. And from what I saw, the Axiom motors kicked the crap out of my Paradigm motors.

That's just been my experience.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

cHECK OUT TEAM1RC.COM FOR SOME OF THE BEST i'VE EVER RUN. REMEMBER, GET A GOOD MOTOR AND RUN IT 3 RUNS. CUT IT, ALIGN THE HOODS(HUGE PART SOME BUILDERS SKIP) CHECK BUSHINGS WITH A REAMER AND YOU ARE NOW THE CAT ON THE STICKER!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For Stock Motors - I use EAMotorsports without a doubt - especially with those F-Brushes!!! They just hoof!!

For Modified Motors - I use DCMotorsports. They are a newish company but the experience is definately there with Curtis Schlaht!!! Try em out - www.dcmotorsports.net
Old 03-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default my favorite tuners

same as above stock EA
same as above mod DC

funny im in canada and youre in austrailia and we use the same motors
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeh, they are just awesome. Such good workmanship on them, I've been stoked!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

ADD TO THE LIST GENESIS MOTORS (and Batteries)

When you buy a non tuned motor chances are that you are getting a motor not balance, un trued,etc... or a motor that has been on the dyno and does not produce any power nor rpm. All in all Junk.

Genesis has no non Tuned motors. A stock motor that is not good it becomes a motor for lathe, serrator, sloter, etc...

All motor tuners have their secrets. brushes, com size, spring combo, magnet saturation, hood alignment, bushing alingment, arm balance, arm straightning, magnet honing, arm polishing, stack alignment, etc... A lot of work goes into our motors.

what it all boils down to is that once you have a company that you trust, support them so they can continue their business so you can also progress as well as they are. We spend alot of time researching set ups for our motors ,but without your business there is no RND.($$$)
Old 03-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by 17driver
I've had great results with KC racing.
Alot of people have, one of the major things that hold them back, is that Kenny or his drivers aren't on here throwing their name out at every chance. But they are great people with great motors and batteries. Good luck racing.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Brandon Melton
Alot of people have, one of the major things that hold them back, is that Kenny or his drivers aren't on here throwing their name out at every chance. But they are great people with great motors and batteries. Good luck racing.
It seem's like Kenny is a little more reconized in the oval area.Good Luck to all KC drivers!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

If you want to try the HP that has won the Snowbirds the last 3 years in a row, Cleveland and now another TQ and WIn at the ROAR Nats, give us a call...

Regards,
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
www.putnampropulsion.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.