More off power steering (too much push):

Springs front softer, rear stiffer
Roll center front lower, rear higher
Droop more f/r

Less on power steering (too loose):

Springs front stiffer, rear softer
Roll center front lower, rear higher
Droop front more, rear less.

This may work, but the opposite is possible to...
Old 06-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The stock.springrates arent too bad. Certainly wouldn't go lower in back but I went higher in front.
For lots of turn in off throttle I lay the front shocks down to the second inside hole. Leave the rear shocks in the middle and adjust upper rollcenters.
Start with 4mm in front and rear and take away half a mil until you get the desired off throttle roll.
For on throttle steering I add a tiny bit of front droop, or mess with swaybars but usually don't touch the upper links. I might add or subtract from the lower position.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

My first thought is get rid of the spool front and replace with a gear diff. Just get the same as the rear one and put HEAVY oil in. Around 500000. I had these same issues with turn in and off throttle response. Replacing the front spool went a long way towards fixing this. I race outdoor as well.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Apparently my PDF file is too big to upload to rctech.. so if anyone is interested in what i was running on the weekend, pm me your email address.
I dont wanna post it on petit until after speed weekend, things might change, this is simply where i started this last week and worked out quite well.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I did a few small changes to the stock setup to get more steering off power.
- One thing I did to get more off power steering with the box stock setup was put an anti-squat spacer under both of the little rear toe blocks. This will keep the rear end high and when you come off power the weight will transfer to the front quicker. With rear anti-squat you get immediate rear grip when on power. If the car acts a little loose just give it a little power.
- I followed SteveM's advice and I run 2mm of droop on the front, with 4mm or more in the rear. this allows the rear to rise and transfer even more to the front off power.
- I installed the R1 swaybars on my S1, and I use the 1.4 in the front and the 1.3 in the rear. the 1.2 is the stock setup for the R1. This makes the rear roll slightly less and gives the front a bit more bite in mid corner.

Last edited by lawton70; 06-26-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: confusing wording
Old 06-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys!
Looks like I have got something to play with :-)

Guess I'll start of by rebuilding shocks and diff and give it a good cleaning.
Then off to the track, to see what can be done...
Old 06-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

1.3 in the rear worked quite well for me on the s1. i find the r1 swaybars to be too narrow though. even without shocks attached its hard to get both sides to lift properly once you install the axles and stuff to the arms. im sure it does what its supposed to do, but a wider swaybar seems to work better.
i used a serpent in the rear as its what i had laying around but an xray or whatever would be great too.

I find having the bar mounted futher outboard just makes the rear so much more confident when off the power.
ill try to get some vids of my r1 at speed weekend with the settings i have on it. assuming of course things work out for me lol. car was fast this last week but who knows next week.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Do any other diffs fit the R1/S1 (Sakura, T3 etc?) as I am having trouble getting parts to rebuild a rather injured R1 here.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

sent an email to SpecR earlier today. Thought I would ask about the R2. Below is the exact text from their reply email for those that are interested.

Hi Martin

Thank you for your support Spec-R, Yes! We will release the new R chassis later, but no sure when we can release. Thanks

Best Regards,

Sang Sin

SPEC-R R/C Developments

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://www.spec-r.com

So for those that are playing the game. SpecR do have an R2 that will be coming some time soon. Time yet to be detirmined
Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Still raining every afternoon. A bit difficult to do any testing :-)
I'll take the day of tomorrow, to get a few hours alone at the track in the sun.
Hopefully I will figure something out...
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Still raining every afternoon. A bit difficult to do any testing :-)
I'll take the day of tomorrow, to get a few hours alone at the track in the sun.
Hopefully I will figure something out...
Old 07-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

I'm having trouble with my spool. Could have been an error when I built it, but the screw on one side backs out of the cups. Even if it was builder error, I still don't like how little thread from the screw protrudes from the drive cup.

Has anyone used the CSO 7075 T6 Hardcoated Lightweight Front Spool Axle Set For CSO1 T4 T3 #CSO-20208 ???
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Just finished up our clubs big annual ashphalt trophy race. we had enough stock touring cars for 4 full heats and two modified.
I wasnt able to run mod as i blew the esc but ran my R1 in stock and did pretty well.
I set the first and second round tq but a fairly safe margin, but third and fourth had such different conditions i wasnt able to better my result.

we had rain on and off all weekend. the first round was delayed by two hours ish and none of us had any time for practice. basically when the rain stopped and track dried sufficiently, we started racing heh.

the first round with the unprepped surface really murdered my tires but i was able to stay in second for the entire weekend. Ryan from vancouver and his yokomo took tq with a blistering pace a full lap faster than the best i was able to do all weekend.

in the main i had some bad luck on the first lap and ended up back in third, where id stay, with a very nose to tail race with one of my club seniors. im happy to finish right on his tail.

everything fell into place for Ryan and he deserved the result. His car was fast, his tires worked great and he didnt make any mistakes to clench the tq/win. He actually qualified on pace with the MOD cars of the weekend with his stock car lol.
the R1 didnt fail me but my tires did a little lol. the unprepped surface from round 1 was so abrasive my sorex 32's didn't survive very well into round 3 and 4 round of qualifying and by the main were shreaded pretty bad heh.
My budget didnt allow for a second set of new tires and i had some 3 weekend old muchmores i signed in for the second set.. which didnt work lol.

I didnt touch the car all weekend though. I got a little faster from round to round but nothing like a full lap or two.
started on 28 laps in round 1 and ended up somewhere in 30 laps by round 4.
ill email the setup to arn for petitrc.
all told a pretty fun weekend with great representation of the specr platform. I counted no less than 5 in circulation in stock and a brave soul ran his s2 in modified even.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

I stripped one of the shock-bodies during a flight the other day :-)
Good thing I've been collecting parts for so many years. Found some older TRF dampers that was ment for one of my TA03Fs.

Behold my new Spec-tRfs

A friend ran his magic fingers over the car. And suddenly it was driveable.
We ended up switching shocks front and rear. Now I just need a bit more steering in general. But at least I can go on and on without spinning out.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What's the 3x12mm screw that goes in the inside servo mount for on the S1 chassis, the manual shows it screwed in with 6mm of thread left unscrewed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.