Spec-R R1

Old 01-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Wal. Landsborough is run from around 9am til about 2-3pm depending on entries. I would almost be tempted to come for the run. Not to sure about going that far away with my partner so close to dropping our latest addition
Old 01-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Hey guys, I bought a used Spec R1 off the forums ( decent shape work needed to be done ) and I have done a few things to it. I replaced the front spool with the gear diff as i like the diff better on smaller tracks that are tight, my question is, i got everything done and put a battery in and noticed that the belt wobbles side to side and you are under power, after closer inspection, it looks like it is rubbing on the inside servo mount.

Why is this? Is there a quick fix besides sanding down the side of the servo mount? I was hoping the car would be a little tighter than this, not really impressed so far, BUT I have not run it yet.

I might just go back to my TA04 and use this as a drift car or sell it.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
Hey guys, I bought a used Spec R1 off the forums ( decent shape work needed to be done ) and I have done a few things to it. I replaced the front spool with the gear diff as i like the diff better on smaller tracks that are tight, my question is, i got everything done and put a battery in and noticed that the belt wobbles side to side and you are under power, after closer inspection, it looks like it is rubbing on the inside servo mount.

Why is this? Is there a quick fix besides sanding down the side of the servo mount? I was hoping the car would be a little tighter than this, not really impressed so far, BUT I have not run it yet.

I might just go back to my TA04 and use this as a drift car or sell it.
Sounds like your belts are flipped ...... front belt should be closer to the battery on the front and rear pulleys. rear belt should be on the pulley closest to the motor.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robbob
Sounds like your belts are flipped ...... front belt should be closer to the battery on the front and rear pulleys. rear belt should be on the pulley closest to the motor.

They are installed correctly. Flipping them would make it unusable due to the front being inline with the servo mount, not just to the side.

Looking down ( top view of the chassis ) the front is on the left closest to the battery, the rear is to the right closet to the electronics side.

It runs and rolls fine, I can see the belt rubbing though.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't comment too much as I have the standard front spool & the optional aluminium servo mount in both cars.

Is the belt tight enough? You may need to put a little more tension on it. You've switched to a gear diff, is it in the same place as the factory spool? You may need to check the alignment.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Does the center "pulley" move from side to side? Most have swapped out the black bushings for the white bushings that are longer which get rid of slop.

It also depends on how thick your Spur is.

Also, are the shims/spacers inboard of the front bearings on the gear diff up front there? That gear diff needs to be stable, but not wedged in there too tight.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

have finally build up my S1 with some basic hopups... initial test run is that it handles pretty well...

am awaiting for the correct spur gear to arrive before really running it.

would post some pictures over the weekend...
Old 01-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Congrats Victozzz. Welcome to the world of SpecR. What class of racing are you entering? Where are you racing? Or are you just bashing with it?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Suspended

I tighten up the belt one notch and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Maybe it was just the fact I took the front belt off and left it hanging on my box for a few days.

Non the less, tonight is it's first race, we shall see what it does.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I tighten up the belt one notch and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Maybe it was just the fact I took the front belt off and left it hanging on my box for a few days.

Non the less, tonight is it's first race, we shall see what it does.
Make sure there is no left/right play in your front pulley/gear diff. On my R1, I had to shim it to get it to stay put, so I just put the shims on the servo side of the pulley. But I haven't had any issues with the belt rubbing either.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Suspended

Car did great. Was impressed. Leading the a-main I tagged the wall slightly and broke the bottom screw hole on the steering block. Will the xray T3 hard steering blocks work? these actually....http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2652

They look the same but seem stronger.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Car did great. Was impressed. Leading the a-main I tagged the wall slightly and broke the bottom screw hole on the steering block. Will the xray T3 hard steering blocks work? these actually....http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2652

That's where my break too. I haven't considered an Xray replacement, I'd be curious as well to know if they work.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
That's where my break too. I haven't considered an Xray replacement, I'd be curious as well to know if they work.
#1...hard Xray bumper will prevent this...

#2...Yes the Xray knuckles will work I use them on my car along with the hard bumper. Just make sure you use a long enough screw in the bottom so that the screw sits fully into the knuckle if its too short then you will blow out the side of the knuckle....stock or Xray.

#3...on Facebook someone posted a picture of SPEC-R "Carbon" suspension parts for the R-1...yet I dont see them listed any place. I wonder if they will be released for the car soon that might help with the breakage problem.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Broke two steering blocks this weenend so far... not happy. Third round car was looking great but grazing the clicktrack was enough to shatter the hub.

Got an xray on now to finish the weekend.
Fourth round tomorrow morning and hope I can salvage a terrible qualifying day.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
heh. i thought the s1 bumper was pretty hard.. any harder and it isnt much of a bumper, more of a pit bar...
if im gonna break that its gonna be the plastic keepers for sure. short answer? slow down and dont hit shit.
Originally Posted by valk
Broke two steering blocks this weenend so far... not happy. Third round car was looking great but grazing the clicktrack was enough to shatter the hub.

Got an xray on now to finish the weekend.
Fourth round tomorrow morning and hope I can salvage a terrible qualifying day.
Im sure it was cracked from a crash before at some point and that glancing blow was just the death blow that finished it off.

Like I said before that Xray hard bumper will help stop 95% of these issues....but hey what do I know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.