Spec-R R1

Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

My upper deck on my Spec-R S1 split and broke.

Looking at Reflex Racing's parts, they have a "Type A" and a "Type B" upper deck listed for the R1.

Anyone know what the difference is? They're both 2.0mm...
Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Italboy
Last question from my side.
Shall I rather take the S1 than the XI Sport?
Parts availability is no problem for both cars.
My thoughts:
  • I looked closely at the design of the 2 cars and they are almost the same.
  • Reading the XI Sport forum people say the same type of reviews, that the car works well out of the box. I would expect performance to be the same between the 2 cars.
  • At RCMart.com, the cars are priced almost the same.
  • Both cars are missing 'typical' hop ups like sway bars, the center servo holder, aluminum hexes, steering rack.
  • The Sakura comes with a set of tires where the spec-r does not. to me this is not much of a benefit

What I like about the Spec-r is the sport version is a low cost version of the top 'Pro spec' version. I could make my S1 car into a pro-spec over time if I wanted. Anything cool released for the pro-spec is an option for me.
The Sakura XI sport is a slightly different version than the Sakura Ultimate. Not every part is interchangable, but a lot are. If a new part comes out for the Ultimate it may not fit. This simplicity and possible upgrade path is what sold me on Spec-R.

Last edited by lawton70; 12-28-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lawton70
My thoughts:
  • I looked closely at the design of the 2 cars and they are almost the same.
  • Reading the XI Sport forum people say the same type of reviews, that the car works well out of the box. I would expect performance to be the same between the 2 cars.
  • At RCMart.com, the cars are priced almost the same.
  • Both cars are missing 'typical' hop ups like sway bars, the center servo holder, aluminum hexes, steering rack.
  • The Sakura comes with a set of tires where the spec-r does not. to me this is not much of a benefit

What I like about the Spec-r is the sport version is a low cost version of the top 'Pro spec' version. I could make my S1 car into a pro-spec over time if I wanted. Anything cool released for the pro-spec is an option for me.
The Sakura XI sport is a slightly different version then the Sakura Ultimate. Not every part is interchangable, but a lot are. If a new part comes out for the Ultimate it may not fit. This simplicity and possible upgrade path is what sold me on Spec-R.
The difference in design I saw that the Sakura has a narrower chassis layout which will provide more flex. This means that for low traction tracks more flex is needed so that the Sakura has to be considered.
The Team Magic E4JSII has a narrow chassis design too.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Agreed, the Sakura XI chassis does have more cut outs as well to give it more flex. This may be the deciding factor for you.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Just so I have this straight, you guys are LOOKING at the narrower chassis and determining that one has more flex over the other?

Without regard to material or thickness?

That's pretty amazing...
Old 12-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

edit: double post.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 32819toon
Some good info here. I have one more question. I'm going to upgrade to R1 alu suspension mounts but have noticed that the part number for the pivot balls to mount the pivot pin into the lower arm is different for the R1 and S1 is different but they look the same on the manual. Does anyone know if the there is a difference ?
Thanks
I emailed Spec R and they got right back to me with the answer. The S1 ones are plastic & the R1 ones are steel.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

well put crispy.

Also the availability to upgrade the S1 to any or all of the R1 parts is fantastic. I don't think any other comapny does this.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

well put crispy.

Also the availability to upgrade the S1 to any or all of the R1 parts is fantastic. I don't think any other comapny does this.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by .crispy
Just so I have this straight, you guys are LOOKING at the narrower chassis and determining that one has more flex over the other?

Without regard to material or thickness?

That's pretty amazing...
I thought I have read in this thread that the material of the S1 chassis is harder than other brand. But I'm not sure.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
My upper deck on my Spec-R S1 split and broke.

Looking at Reflex Racing's parts, they have a "Type A" and a "Type B" upper deck listed for the R1.

Anyone know what the difference is? They're both 2.0mm...
The difference is the width of the decks, one is more flexible than the other. If you're running an S1 chassis, though, you probably won't notice a difference (the chassis is very stiff). You can actually get just the regular R1 deck: http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=4811
Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default which size lipo ?

Hello,

I'm starting with rc cars and I've ordered an Spec-R S1 but which size lipo's fit into the S1 chassis ?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by roy#5
Hello,

I'm starting with rc cars and I've ordered an Spec-R S1 but which size lipo's fit into the S1 chassis ?
Not sure what you mean by "which size". They're all pretty much the same size (dimensions).

If you're referring to battery *capacity* (which some people call "battery size"), it would depend on what class you're running (if you're racing). I race my S1 as a VTA car, run a SMC 5000mAh 2-cell LiPo battery, and it fits in the car with no problem.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Not sure what you mean by "which size". They're all pretty much the same size (dimensions).

If you're referring to battery *capacity* (which some people call "battery size"), it would depend on what class you're running (if you're racing). I race my S1 as a VTA car, run a SMC 5000mAh 2-cell LiPo battery, and it fits in the car with no problem.
I mean the dimensions of the battery, I found the dimensions of your SMC, thanks for answering.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any roar approved 2s hardcase battery will fit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.