Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

its hpi cups, for the blitz truck, they fit much better than for example the tamiya ones, they are quite soft so not sure how long they will last though
Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bappe
its hpi cups, for the blitz truck, they fit much better than for example the tamiya ones, they are quite soft so not sure how long they will last though
Mind to tell where to buy?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

I bought mine on ebay
Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Can someone remind me.. does one of the Spec-R gear diffs for Xray car(s) fit the R1? My R1 rear gear diff is leaking constantly and driving me nuts. I vaguely remember reading here that the one Spec-R makes for Xray seals better?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
Can someone remind me.. does one of the Spec-R gear diffs for Xray car(s) fit the R1? My R1 rear gear diff is leaking constantly and driving me nuts. I vaguely remember reading here that the one Spec-R makes for Xray seals better?
Change the seals, and pack them with grease or green slime or something else that will do a good job of sealing them off, put on a new gasket and o-ring. Doing this will ensure a leak free diff, even with 100cst, after 50 runs i had more than 3/4 of the oil remaining.

Pretty sure the R1 and Xray diffs are the same, so there i no value in changing complete diffs.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a general question for all of you,
(yes, I have read through many of the pages in this thread)

I am looking to get a touring car, and was almost set on the Assosicated TC6.1, I can get it for about $340 shipped.

I just found out about the Spec-R touring cars and am considering one instead.
I currently only race a mini on-road class right now. I don't see myself racing a touring car as I just don't have time at the moment and probably not for a few years (so this wouldn't be for serious competitive racing). I do plan to run this about 50% on an on-road asphalt track (just practice sessions) and 50% (smooth) parking lot near my house.

1) Are you guys generally happy w/ your Spec-R's? Are they durable, good quality, any problems I should be aware of, or parts that should be replaced during initial build?

2) Is the base model which retails for about $120 pretty good? -it is an incredible price, ..I don't care about carbon fiber, -i've used graphite, aluminums and hard plastics in other R/C applications w/ similar results. Is that the big difference in price between the $120 base model and the $320 high end model? -or are there other differences as well?

thanks,
(not trying to hi-jack the thread ...yet figured as you guys all own one or more Spec-R1's you'd know them pretty well).
Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potoczak
What's the difference in the shock towers compared to the regular R towers??
the geometry is the same, but the holes for shock mount screws have a tighter tolerance, the carbon is US spec(wet look) same as the new chassis and top deck.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

i used to race the tc6.1 before i went with a r1. i raced the tc6.1 a half season, and was as fast if not faster with the r1 straight out of the box
i really like my r1 (might add that i race on low/med traction carpet mostly)

there is quite a big difference between the s1 and r1, first of all there is the material difference were the s1 is glassfibre/plastic and the r1 carbon fibre/alu

biggest difference is that the s1 is REALLY stiff due to the thick glassfibre chassi and the new r1 prospec is quite flexy due to improved carbonfibre, this means that the r1 biulds alot more grip and if you are racing on asphalt you might be better off with the r1 for that reason imho
or if you want to keep the cost low and can stand the look of different materials in one car, s1 with r1 chassi and topdeck
Old 09-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

biggest difference is that the s1 is REALLY stiff due to the thick glassfibre chassi and the new r1 prospec is quite flexy due to improved carbonfibre, this means that the r1 biulds alot more grip and if you are racing on asphalt you might be better off with the r1 for that reason imho
-this is really important.

All good info and super helpful,
They removed the carpet track I race at (put an indoor short-course track in its place ..which is fine as I race one of my trucks on that) ...so this touring car would be run 100% on asphalt. -i'd want good grip, that is key.

thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Any chance of spec r coming out with the lowered shock tower and shortie shock design??
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

im pretty sure you will be better with an R1 in almost every possible respect. though the prospec is a fantastic deal right now as you get absolutely everything a $500 serpent or xray offers and doubled jointed front shafts i believe. I am very tempted to move my serpent onto another owner to get the prospec, but then i might as well move my S1 as well and get TWO prospecs ha.
really depends on what type of surface your on an the class. we race 17.5 on a parking lot and the s1 did just fine. we spray the track with sugar water and i had no problems with traction. the rear end was a little bit lively but i didnt spend a lot of time with the setup as my nitro car was being such a dirty bantch.
I finished second overall on the first day out with the S1 with nothing but a few changes to downstop and camber. of course, i set it up as i had my serpent, not the manual settings. so it might have been better if i had just surrendered to the instructions ha.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

bah. looks like im trippin on the DJS's in the front. must be thinking team magic.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Spec r seems to follow the current trends in touring so far so im quite sure that they will come out with short towers and shocks for this car
Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Is there any other Spec-R setup sheet database besides PetitRC? I'm specifically looking for VTA carpet setups to wrap my brain around a couple of things.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bappe
Spec r seems to follow the current trends in touring so far so im quite sure that they will come out with short towers and shocks for this car
I hope so, I can get shortie red shocks just need someone to make the towers. Anyone want to volunteer to make some towers??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.