Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok, She's together!

I didn't shim the bulkheads cause I just couldn't find an issue personally. My drive train is smooth and rolls freely so I'll just consider it to be a production variance I guess.

I did have issues with the spurgear adapter having a lot of slop in it, I just put a couple of tiny shims in it and it seems fine now. The two plastic shims you put on there really need to be about twice the thickness they are.. no doubt an oversight. Then when I put the top deck on it rubbed the outside edge of the spur gear adapter just a hair, This is from me using a Kimbro spur gear that is wider than the stock one. So I beveled the edges of the top deck in this area and it fit without touching.. then I noticed that with equal spacers on each side of the spur the belts were running at a slight angle! I put a slightly thicker shim on one side and a narrower on the other. Whew, that was a PITA! Is the motor mount and layshaft holder shorter than the rear bulkheads for anyone else?

The kit oils had somehow leaked out of the little bottles so I had to toss that stuff, luckily I had some 1K left over from another project and then just used some Losi 45Wt since it's about 500cst.. I noticed the angle of the servo linkage to the steering rack is kinda steep so I used a long ball stud and some spacers to get less angle on it, seemed to even out the left/right steering limits.

A 3mm tap is really handy for the ball cups, my Tamiya ball cups were too short so I used the kit cups until I can order some that are longer.

All together it was a pretty easy build, things fit really well except the spur gear adapter, it needs some flanged bearings. It seems like this is probably just First run stuff that will be tweaked.. Hopefully they can find a better cap for the fluids, it's fine for most of us, but if someone new to RC buys the kit and has the same issue it could be a issue.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Rookie

This car combines a lot of advantages from the cars of other factories,for example,the chassis.And the suspension amount is totally an innovation!It's very easy to change the setting.great evolution!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fabiosweet
This car combines a lot of advantages from the cars of other factories,for example,the chassis.And the suspension amount is totally an innovation!It's very easy to change the setting.great evolution!
Actually they just stole the suspension insert idea from Kyosho. But I'm suprised more people haven't because it's the best system available. All the adjustability of an XRay/TC6, with the accuracy and lack of movement of a Tamiya/Yokomo.

This car really looks like a fantastic bit of kit for £200!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Tech Adept

Well I feel dumb now.. I didn't even realize that the silly 80T spur would be too small. Ugh I just spend $45 on a buncha pinions and spurs that are useless to me lol.

(17.5 blinky gearing, 45/80 was all the LHS had that would get me to the 3.5 FDR)

Last edited by Xenolance; 10-21-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Saw the car in action last night in MOD TC on carpet and all I can say is Jeff Jenkins threw down. Car looked great and had mass corner speed... pretty sure Jeff has that thing dialed in and needs to add it to his sig....
Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Thanks Kyle for the kind words. Yes for the first official race last night the car was money and i couldnt have asked for a better handling car. I made some more changes and i feel the car is almost there. I was a lap up from my tc6 was from the get go. I thought my tc6 was good but this spec -r takes the cake. not saying the tc6 is a bad car as it is not but for me the R1 fits my style. I will send my setup to petit rc so it can be viewed by everyone but it is great i qualified 2nd for the main behind team associateds Kody Knutson and was only 2 sec behind . I had the fastest lap time of the night tho. But in the main ended up finishing 2nd place but it was really close at the end we finished within 3/4 of a sec from each other. Kody is the man to beat up in the Northwest and he has some time on his ride so for the first race with the spec-r and getting that result i think that pretty much says how good the car is. my setup is very easy to drive and the car rotates great throughout the corner and has the right amount of roll . I added more flex to it by removing the four screws above the layshaft bulkheads.

very very impressed with the car!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

hey jeff
Man I was surprise that you did very well with your new ride lastnite ...you are right and you prove the car is Awesome...under 300.00 can't beat it...I didn't think you can drive...Now I know..
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Didn't know that I can drive? T hat makes it sound like I'm a Bucky hahaha
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Jenkin's R1 was very impressive last night. Specially when you consider the amount of time he has driven the car, 2 days. He was with in a a couple seconds of Kody (who's usually in the amain of big races) and out qualified Keith Yu who is also another consistent amainer in big races.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

here is my new setup that i recommend to start with. I was also using jack the gripper for traction compound.http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/spec...3020121020.pdf
Old 10-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by malkiy
Jenkin's R1 was very impressive last night. Specially when you consider the amount of time he has driven the car, 2 days. He was with in a a couple seconds of Kody (who's usually in the amain of big races) and out qualified Keith Yu who is also another consistent amainer in big races.
thanks Mike. your new 1/12 looked good as well!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
Didn't know that I can drive? T hat makes it sound like I'm a Bucky hahaha
I really mean it .you finally got the TC you like and able to keep up with the big boys..Ecellent
I was just giving you $hit for fun..cause I can't beleive you did it well...kool
Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA
I really mean it .you finally got the TC you like and able to keep up with the big boys..Ecellent
I was just giving you $hit for fun..cause I can't beleive you did it well...kool
I know what you meant.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

Gratz Jeff!

I can't drive for crap so I'm thrilled to know it's me and not the Spec-R! I'll let the big guys around here run it before they see me drive so I don't give it a bad name! :-)

There wouldn't be and video of this race would there? I'd love to see you in action.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Adept

I was just staring at my car and setting it up like Jeff's and realized that I have two front suspension mounts instead of a front/rear. I didn't even notice when installing them as I thought they were identical.. They have separate part numbers as well.. I wonder if they are just marked differently for ease of setup in or if they are actually different?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.