Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Johnnytc3
What keeps the battery from hitting the main belt when using the velcro battery strap? I've looked and couldn't find any steps mentioning using stoppers of some sort in the manual.
Screw in the motor mount and a screw in the servo mount.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 32819toon
We've going through so many parts (particularly drive shafts !) I'm leaning towards buying a whole car as a replacement and keeping a stock of spares. Any one else gone down this route ?
I thought about it, but decided that I could spend less than $129 on the parts that I would likely need.

Since I dropped about $80 on spares, I haven't broken a thing...
Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes Johnny those screws and locations keep batt. off the belt. The only flaw I had was the stock servo arm was a piece, so I temporary replaced it with a metal arm until I find a small servo saver. I thought I read a xray servo saver works?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fuzzi0n
Screw in the motor mount and a screw in the servo mount.

Thanks I had them in there but didn't think that was the correct way coming from a TC6 with stoppers.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
Yes Johnny those screws and locations keep batt. off the belt. The only flaw I had was the stock servo arm was a piece, so I temporary replaced it with a metal arm until I find a small servo saver. I thought I read a xray servo saver works?

I feel awkward not using a servo saver so I never even installed the stock arm. I am using the Kimbrough mid size w/holes. It looks like the Xray servo saver and Tamiya HD are common from what I remember in this thread.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I will look into them both. The drivetrain is smooth as you seen when you stopped by. I'll change set-up back to stock and start from there if I don't hear on here on a starting point.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnnytc3
I feel awkward not using a servo saver so I never even installed the stock arm. I am using the Kimbrough mid size w/holes. It looks like the Xray servo saver and Tamiya HD are common from what I remember in this thread.
I thought that I would chime in...... yes the bolts keep the battery in place. It looks funny but works fine..

The Xray Xtra stiff servo saver works well with this car. We tried the Kimbrough and found it too soft to work right.

My buddy is running a R1 in VTA and has yet to break much of anything........ and he is rough on the car. I will add that he put an RPM TC3 bumper on it and has gone several months without any breaks.

On setup...... we started with the stock setup and added some shims to raise the rear roll center for VTA and swapped the AE springs....... green and silver. It has been a joy to race all season.

Hope this helps......
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Has anyone tried using a different battery tray, one of those screws actually broke the corner of my hard case lipo. so just wondering if there is any better option other than the 2 screws.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Initiate

I didn't like that screws and I took flat head with FH washers and put fuel tube under it. So we have much bigger spot of contact.
Sorry for my english...

Today we found that steering plates with small bearings differs greatly one to another. One - much play, another - no play at all.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tiago890
Has anyone tried using a different battery tray, one of those screws actually broke the corner of my hard case lipo. so just wondering if there is any better option other than the 2 screws.
Yes use a flat head screw and washer for a little more surface area. But I also use lead weight down the center which also holds the battery in place.
Attached Thumbnails Spec-R R1-photo.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

battery holder: I glued an old plastic nitro throttle servo arm under the belt to hold the battery

breaking driveshafts: just replace the drive shafts and front spool outdrives with xray parts and you are good to go and still saving money
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I found specR steel spool cups on rcmart. But no info on specR.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Managed to build a full driveshaft out of the three broken ones. Decided to buy parts instead of a full kit, it was the postage costs which swayed the decision, plus I'd have loads of bits I wouldn't need.

Replacing with Xray parts - I understand your point, but even if the Spec R S1 is a cheaper option, it still should be fit for purpose, and not need to have parts replaced every week. I hope that the car settles down and I don't have to keep spending to replace broken parts, or I will start to regret buying the cars.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Which driveshafts are you breaking? The black "Sport" model or the gold spring steel upgraded ones?

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=1744

I broke a stock shaft and replaced it with these. No problems since.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by .crispy
Which driveshafts are you breaking? The black "Sport" model or the gold spring steel upgraded ones?

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=1744

I broke a stock shaft and replaced it with these. No problems since.
It's the stock Sport ones - I know they're cheaper but they still should hold up. I still think its the lack of movement in the spool and the driveshaft is taking the hit. Hopefully when the new gear diff arrives it will cure the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.