R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #1111
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post
Of which parts and which cars? I'm thinking of getting a spare Xray because of it.
Don't know all of them, but when I'm selecting Spec-R parts off the TQ Racing website in the description is says fits "Xray T3, Spec-R R1, etc..."

Outdrives, driveshafts, Differentials.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #1112
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,788
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago890 View Post
Hey guys, was at the track and broke another outer pivot pin, any one know why this keeps happening or if has happened to anyone else.
Also I seem to be getting too much body roll going hot into turns which cause car to roll over or lose the rear any one have any suggestions to correct this.
I also put 3000 diff fluid in but it leaked out, seal and rubber is good, and it was tightened down all the way any suggestions.
Thanks
I have also broken an outer hinge pin. I think someone has mentioned they have also. I am assuming that the set screw may have been over tightened? Or, that is just a weak point in the kit. I am thinking of trying some Tamiya titanium nitride coated pins.

You'd have to share the rest of your setup to see why you are rolling too much. But, I've had too much roll also and I am running 2000 in my diff. I am going to be testing out 3000 and 5000 this weekend. Our current track layout has a lot of S turns so it should be a good test bed.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #1113
Tech Adept
 
sghx60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Reedsville, WI
Posts: 167
Default

can someone tell me if the carbon front bumper mount comes with the top and bottom parts, or just the top. i broke the bottom part of the mount this weekend and was going to order the carbon one.
__________________
Xfactory X6/X60/ LOSI TLR22/TLR22T/TLR22SCT
TLR 22SCT Late Model
Factory Team B4/Factory Team T4
Losi Slider Sprint Car
Losi SCTE 4x4
sghx60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #1114
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 202
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sghx60 View Post
can someone tell me if the carbon front bumper mount comes with the top and bottom parts, or just the top. i broke the bottom part of the mount this weekend and was going to order the carbon one.
It is only the top piece and mounting hardware. It does not include the lower mount. If you are looking to upgrade the lower mount, the Xray parts are a direct replacement. I put the xray bumper mount and hard bumper on my R1 after my vintage car had a run in with a brick.
puhrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #1115
Tech Addict
 
Airwave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 655
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Nope the carbon front bumper plate only contains the carbon fiber plate, without anything else... By the way, this item won't come in contact with the sway bar support...
Airwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #1116
Tech Regular
 
tiago890's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Harrison, NJ
Posts: 269
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
I have also broken an outer hinge pin. I think someone has mentioned they have also. I am assuming that the set screw may have been over tightened? Or, that is just a weak point in the kit. I am thinking of trying some Tamiya titanium nitride coated pins.

You'd have to share the rest of your setup to see why you are rolling too much. But, I've had too much roll also and I am running 2000 in my diff. I am going to be testing out 3000 and 5000 this weekend. Our current track layout has a lot of S turns so it should be a good test bed.
I was also thinking about either going with the tamiya or possibly try to find a Xray pin that might work,
I am running very basic setup, 3000 diff fluid, -2 camber f/r, -4 toe in back, 0 toe in front, 35 wt shock fluid all around, stock r1 springs, 5mm droop and 5mm ride height, everything else is basically setup from stock. I get around the more technical turns with out a problem, it when I am going into a 90 degree turn after straight away the car seems to either roll or go onto 2 wheels before settling. I also know there is a possibility that my car is doing this because it is unbalanced, but I am not to sure how to get the car balance with out breaking the bank to get a fancy setup station or tweak board. Any suggestions... Local track is have a big race 3 weeks from now so I'm trying to get this right.
Any help would be great..
Cheers,
tiago890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #1117
Tech Master
 
bshookup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 1,543
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default S1 Carpet Setup

My friend and I have been enjoying running our bone stock S1's and seeing if we can keep up with the high dollar cars. The car is pretty darn capable, and I can safely say that I've gotten my $120 out of it!

I've seen a lot of R1 setups posted, but not a ton of S1 setups. We found a carpet setup that I think is decent enough to share. We got it to work on two cars and at both Timezone and the Seattle RC Racers track with both Sweep and Team Powers 32s. I was able to qualify 2nd and finish 3rd at the ROAR Region 11 Carpet Regionals 17.5 sedan class yesterday while keeping up with those expensive cars. The car was stable and easy to drive.

I wish more companies would make low dollar cars like this with plastic and FRP so there would be a lot of low cost options for new racers.

Setup attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brian Shook Spec-R S1 Carpet 3-10-13.pdf (459.9 KB, 104 views)
__________________
TOP RACING: www.top-racing.jp/
TEAM POWERS: www.teampowersusa.net/
bshookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #1118
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago890 View Post
I was also thinking about either going with the tamiya or possibly try to find a Xray pin that might work,
I am running very basic setup, 3000 diff fluid, -2 camber f/r, -4 toe in back, 0 toe in front, 35 wt shock fluid all around, stock r1 springs, 5mm droop and 5mm ride height, everything else is basically setup from stock. I get around the more technical turns with out a problem, it when I am going into a 90 degree turn after straight away the car seems to either roll or go onto 2 wheels before settling. I also know there is a possibility that my car is doing this because it is unbalanced, but I am not to sure how to get the car balance with out breaking the bank to get a fancy setup station or tweak board. Any suggestions... Local track is have a big race 3 weeks from now so I'm trying to get this right.
Any help would be great..
Cheers,
I'm betting you're flipping because your car is too stuck / pushy, and you're using too much steering to make it turn. Start by reducing rear toe to 3*, and turn down your dual rate. Next, make sure you don't have too much droop, especially in front. Shoot for about 2mm up travel in front and 2.5mm rear. I don't know what that is on a gauge on the spec-r. This will keep the car much flatter and lower in the turns. Thicker shock oil can help as well. Also, see if you can move some weight farther forward and lower. Lowering the body, and running a lightweight body can help a lot. A shorter wheel base can help the car to rotate instead of flipping, too.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #1119
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

I just read through the entire thread (only read parts before), and I feel like the R1 would be a great place to start for a total TC noob like me. I'm thinking of trying out racing in the local stock 17.5 class, and everything I read here sounds good for that.

So, other than breaking the pivot pins and occasional plastic, any other durability/wear issues I should know about?

A lot of guys here seem to be running Team Associated, but I don't like to run with the crowd It sounds like my lack of driving skills will be keeping me in the back, not the R1, am I right?

Before I pull the trigger, I'm coming up with a list of immediate upgrades. I have the Tamiya ball ends, the flange bearings, maybe Tamiya shock o-rings. Anything else I should get from TQRC with my order?

Going to try 5000wt oil in the back diff, stick with spool up front. But I see that the Spec-R diffs for the R1 tend to leak and sanding is necessary. Should I just get the Spec-R diff for the XRay and call it good instead?

Throw it all at me if you feel I should know it
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #1120
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
I just read through the entire thread (only read parts before), and I feel like the R1 would be a great place to start for a total TC noob like me. I'm thinking of trying out racing in the local stock 17.5 class, and everything I read here sounds good for that.

So, other than breaking the pivot pins and occasional plastic, any other durability/wear issues I should know about?

A lot of guys here seem to be running Team Associated, but I don't like to run with the crowd It sounds like my lack of driving skills will be keeping me in the back, not the R1, am I right?

Before I pull the trigger, I'm coming up with a list of immediate upgrades. I have the Tamiya ball ends, the flange bearings, maybe Tamiya shock o-rings. Anything else I should get from TQRC with my order?

Going to try 5000wt oil in the back diff, stick with spool up front. But I see that the Spec-R diffs for the R1 tend to leak and sanding is necessary. Should I just get the Spec-R diff for the XRay and call it good instead?

Throw it all at me if you feel I should know it
FYI, Jeff Jenkins is local to us. So you can pick his brain about build / setup.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #1121
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
FYI, Jeff Jenkins is local to us. So you can pick his brain about build / setup.

-Mike
Yeah, I saw his setups throughout the thread, I just wasn't sure which tracks he raced at. I'll be like a little sponge for knowledge.
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #1122
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
I just read through the entire thread (only read parts before), and I feel like the R1 would be a great place to start for a total TC noob like me. I'm thinking of trying out racing in the local stock 17.5 class, and everything I read here sounds good for that.

So, other than breaking the pivot pins and occasional plastic, any other durability/wear issues I should know about?

A lot of guys here seem to be running Team Associated, but I don't like to run with the crowd It sounds like my lack of driving skills will be keeping me in the back, not the R1, am I right?

Before I pull the trigger, I'm coming up with a list of immediate upgrades. I have the Tamiya ball ends, the flange bearings, maybe Tamiya shock o-rings. Anything else I should get from TQRC with my order?

Going to try 5000wt oil in the back diff, stick with spool up front. But I see that the Spec-R diffs for the R1 tend to leak and sanding is necessary. Should I just get the Spec-R diff for the XRay and call it good instead?

Throw it all at me if you feel I should know it
I'm getting a second one. I decided to go with another S1. The aluminum and carbon parts are lighter and MAYBE more durable, but nothing that you get with the R1 makes you "go faster". Yes, I know that lighter is a go fast part. And I know you get more tune-ability.

This time around I did buy the Tamiya ball ends. Don't know if they'll really help. The issue with the stock ball ends is that the threads don't turn in the base of the ball end and I pop them off when adjusting.

Also bought the aluminum steering rack. Since I broke my plastic one on the other, I figured that was a good upgrade. Did buy the sway bars also.

Finally I bought a second gear diff for the front just like on my other. With 500,000 wt oil in there, it drives wonderfully for me. I put 80 wt shock oil in the rear. Certainly not 5000. If you run the gear diff halves on some 600 sandpaper for just a second you'll be fine.

Other than that, all stock.

But since you're going you're own way, you're going to need spares. I literally spent $75 or more on spares. Arms, knuckles, pivot pins, set of belts, steering rack, etc... But since I got the S1. I had the money.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #1123
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

And since I had left-over money... I had this made:



and the front...



Represent!
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #1124
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
The aluminum and carbon parts are lighter and MAYBE more durable, but nothing that you get with the R1 makes you "go faster". Yes, I know that lighter is a go fast part. And I know you get more tune-ability.
For our Scale Spec class, the min weight is 1450g. Having the heavier chassis might not be such a bad thing.

Quote:
Finally I bought a second gear diff for the front just like on my other. With 500,000 wt oil in there, it drives wonderfully for me. I put 80 wt shock oil in the rear. Certainly not 5000.
Yeah, 5000 is probably too heavy for a slow-motor class on our carpet. I think it'll make the car rotate really lazy.

Quote:
But since you're going you're own way, you're going to need spares. I literally spent $75 or more on spares. Arms, knuckles, pivot pins, set of belts, steering rack, etc... But since I got the S1. I had the money.
For the price of an R1, just buy two kits.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #1125
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
For our Scale Spec class, the min weight is 1450g. Having the heavier chassis might not be such a bad thing.
But adding some weights to the R1 would still be ok, no?

Quote:
Yeah, 5000 is probably too heavy for a slow-motor class on our carpet. I think it'll make the car rotate really lazy.
I'm slightly confused... I thought Jeff Jenkins ran at your track, and he was using 5000? I'll probably pick up a few weights to play with anyway, so I could always put something lighter in.
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Losi JRXS Type-R Andrew Gray Electric On-Road 13440 Yesterday 08:58 PM
2012 R.O.A.R Carpet Nationals andrewdoherty Electric On-Road 774 04-04-2012 03:26 PM
JR R1 Pro w/ case for sale... Sorcerer001 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 12-10-2004 11:44 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:43 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net