R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #3346
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddub View Post
Been out of RC for a long while and decided to take advantage of the excellent asphalt onroad course by me and get into USGT. I picked up a s2 kit about 2 weeks ago from tqrc and have been slowly building it out. I ran into two problems with the kit and one more that I am unsure on.

1) the suspension mounts (S1P402) are supposed to come with 2 offsets to the right and 2 to the left. I got 3 right and 1 left. Contacted TQRC and they are sending me the right ones immediately. Thanks for the good customer service TQRC.

2) One of my shock shafts looks like it was broken off right where the shaft narrows before the threads. There was no small broken part in the bag, just the broken shaft. Unfortunately, the part for the S2 calls for a 26mm shaft and it doesn't seem like spec R provide this separately. The normal R1/S1 part is a 28mm shaft. TQRC is working with Spec R to get a solution on this.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative or issue with using the 28mm shaft specifically on the S2? I seem to remember reading in this thread about the shorter shock towers making it more difficult get ride height down. Is this maybe to address that? Any thoughts would be helpful.

3) I've never owned a belt driven RC before. I have everything set up correctly, shimmed battery side, no wobble, etc. but I still have a very slight sort of clicking when moving the drivetrain. I have traced it down to the front belt not meshing perfectly with the wheel on the gear on the spur gear assembly. It is like the belt coming in to the spur rides the top of the gear before it click in to place. Is this normal? Will it go away one everything settles in? Also, the belts both front and rear seem to want to ride on the outside of all of the gears; diff, spool and both spur side gears. It doesn't look like they are jumping or anything so based on what I read in here, I am not worrying about it.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice on this build!
i used shafts from my cyclone when I built my shocks and different pistons and different O-rings
Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #3347
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Spec R Gear Diff?

After setting up my car and getting everything dialed in, the rear end became super loose on corner entry. I open up the rear diff to rebuild it thinking it might be the problem. I noticed that the 2k oil had dissipated to 1/3 of the original amount. There have been no leaks. Does the oil burn up inside causing this.
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #3348
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svines1972 View Post
After setting up my car and getting everything dialed in, the rear end became super loose on corner entry. I open up the rear diff to rebuild it thinking it might be the problem. I noticed that the 2k oil had dissipated to 1/3 of the original amount. There have been no leaks. Does the oil burn up inside causing this.
The oil does not burn up, it will leak out only. When you built the diff, did you let the oil work it's way into the gears? Is the diff very stiff when you first put it together? I had a problem with the diff o-ring swelling to the point where the diff was unusable.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #3349
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Diff is smooth before and after. Gears still look good. A little more resistance frm 2k to 3k oil. No residue from the diff in over 25 battery packs. Around 900 carpet road course laps. If it leaked it did not leave anything on the chassis.
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #3350
Tech Regular

Hi guys, I have a problem with the screws coming lose at the front of the front bulkhead resulting in my belt becoming lose. They are the ones that hold the suspension tower down to the bulkhead.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Also, what oil should I be using in the diff and the shocks?
Spec-R S1
filippimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #3351
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by filippimini View Post
Hi guys, I have a problem with the screws coming lose at the front of the front bulkhead resulting in my belt becoming lose. They are the ones that hold the suspension tower down to the bulkhead.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Also, what oil should I be using in the diff and the shocks?
Screws into aluminum, use blue Locktite threadlocker.

Screws into plastic, use CA glue as your threadlocker. Yes, it comes apart.

I have 2000 cst in my rear diff and 500,000 in my front gear diff.

Shocks are based on your conditions but I used Associated 32.5 wt.

Last edited by .crispy; 10-02-2014 at 06:43 AM.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #3352
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
The s2s I built; I used hole d on the front arm and the second from inside on the tower. With the preload collar all the way out it gave 5-5.5 ride height with a ready to run 17.5 tc.
Did you use a spacer under the arm mount? I can only get down to 8mm with the stock springs using the same holes. This is with the car at 1450g for USGT.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #3353
Tech Addict

I got tired of fighting the ride height issue too. I just bought the Tamiya TRF Short Springs. Problem solved.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #3354
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

1mm spacer in front. None in rear. Tire diameter might also plsy a part. We run muchmores outside with a smaller diameter than the sweeps we run indoor. just have to play with shock angles.
Xray short springs work too.
If.I.buy an s2 for stock, ill prob just use my s1 towers and avoid this problem.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #3355
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks guys.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #3356
Tech Regular

Thanks for the advice .crispy

Ryan
Spec-R S1
filippimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:00 AM   #3357
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

New top deck and bottom deck for R1: http://www.redrc.net/2014/10/spec-r-...ck/#more-87214

It makes you wonder what's going on with the R2, I thought it was due soon. Perhaps it'll just be a Pro Spec with these new plates and a few extras from the S2.

I'm still loving my Pro Spec, it's doing very well at my local club
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #3358
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Re-introduction of the chassis. I had it on mine for over a year. I just sold the car though.
Attached Thumbnails
Spec-R R1-r1-2sm.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #3359
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wouldn't the new decks fit both the s/r1 and s2?
Syxxstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #3360
Tech Apprentice

I have that chassis plate on my s1 touring car. Although I think mine is 2.5mm. It works awesome though. I use it with a standard r1 topdeck. I feel like it's the chassis the pro spec should have come with.
Butler02 is offline   Reply With Quote