R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 AM   #3256
Tech Regular

Blue. Personally I would run the S2 whilst I was waiting for the R1 to turn up. It will give you a good understanding of how the R1 will run for you.
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/yc8/1wmmuv8/s/tx/cx/1/
mrjudd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:23 AM   #3257
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjudd77 View Post
Blue. Personally I would run the S2 whilst I was waiting for the R1 to turn up. It will give you a good understanding of how the R1 will run for you.
The R1 should arrive every moment, they've been purchased and shipped out at the same time but from a different seller.
But i was thinking that i could already start building some essential parts together and that way the R1 will be build a lot faster and keep the R1 parts as spare parts.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:28 AM   #3258
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
The postman just delivered the S2 version, still waiting on my R1 Pro Spec to be delivered.
The S2 is for spare parts and the R1 Pro Spec will be build to run silvercan races and brushless motors.
Hopefully it will arrive very soon cause i would like to test the car before the next race that takes place on september 7th.
???

The S2 can be assembled and still be "spare parts". I have a full assembled (and upgraded) S1 as my "backup car" for my R1 which is finally fairly well setup.

I use the S1 as my test mule/experimental car. If I want to try something radical I do it to the S1 and run it that way. If it doesn't work, I'm not thrashing to put it back the old way. I just park it and revert to the R1 and redo the S1 when I get home.

Anyway, the idea that S2 can only be parts in the broken down form is flawed.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #3259
Tech Regular

I use 2 S1's as parts cars (that I have broken down) and a 3rd S1 that is also parts but assembled. I need to get another one soon and 'retire' my current R1 when the new R2 comes out
Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #3260
Tech Rookie

Looking for help sourcing a part. I'm building an S2 and would like to use aluminum spacers instead of the plastic spacers included with the model. I got 3Racing aluminum spacers for all the M3 suspension mounting points, but am trying to find the 5x7x1.5mm spacers used between the axle bearings. I found steel spacers as used for some Team Durango kit, but can't find aluminum. Any leads?
TxMike_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #3261
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMike_64 View Post
Looking for help sourcing a part. I'm building an S2 and would like to use aluminum spacers instead of the plastic spacers included with the model. I got 3Racing aluminum spacers for all the M3 suspension mounting points, but am trying to find the 5x7x1.5mm spacers used between the axle bearings. I found steel spacers as used for some Team Durango kit, but can't find aluminum. Any leads?
associated or TOP maybe....

a lot of companies use plastic/composite spacers for this part - and a lot of companies still don't include this part at all...it was an optional part on the TC3 way back when - so that just goes to show its not an overly important part

the only purpose of this is to keep the bearings spaced apart and really don't have an advantage of aluminum over plastic/composite

my TCXX uses plastic/composite as well...

when I had my Spec-R, I replaced all the other spacers EXCEPT for these pieces...and that included tracking for the TOP diff/spool spacers for the diff and spool
Old 08-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #3262
Tech Fanatic

I've been busy to build up my S2 and it does take some time to get it done correctly.
As for the suspension i've had to take it back off for several times just to try to get the best no-binding solution.
At the front i didn't used the 1mm spacers cause they made the suspension bind, instead of these 1mm spacers i had to use 0,7mm spacers.
At the back the 1mm are fine to use.
The center pulley's and spool pulley need glueing and i would love to see these parts in just 1 pice, therefor i will buy the alu center pulley's and a HD gear diff for the front.
Although you also need to do some shimming, the quality isn't bad for this money.
I've also noticed the have used 2 different types of pins for the universals, i've changed them with tamiya pins.
Hope that i'm able to test the car next thursday.

Stil waiting for my R1 to arrive
Old 08-30-2014, 03:49 AM   #3263
Tech Addict

Default Do Xray diffs fit?

Hi guys.
Will Xray T3 diffs fit ? I found one in my parts stash.
I'd like to use one on the front of my S2 instead of a spool. Will the offset of the pulley be the same ?

Ive started the build of my new S2.
Shocks: The quality control is appalling, the worst Ive seen.
First the circlips are far too big, so big they would just fall off. I found some TRF circlips, they fit perfectly.
The thread on 1 of the shock shafts is really screwd up. Not stripped, but the threaded part is alot smaller in diameter than the other shafts, so the ball cup thingy just slips straight off. Lucky I had a spare shaft from a another car near enough in size .

If this was a someone who didnt have a bunch of spares from other cars, they would be totally screwed.
Is this what to expect from an $80 car ? I guess for that price i could have bought 2 and had spares.

The setup sheet in the manual is blank.
Where do a find a default setup , or a does anyone have a setup sheet for LOW GRIP ashfeft , rubber wheels, 21.5T

The build continues. Ive ordered some alu bulkheads....just because ..
Cheers

Update:the kit is missing some parts
The build continues

Last edited by 1101; 08-31-2014 at 02:41 AM.
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:35 AM   #3264
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Hi guys.
I'd like to use one on the front of my S2 instead of a spool. Will the offset of the pulley be the same ?

First the circlips are far too big, so big they would just fall off. I found some TRF circlips, they fit perfectly.
The thread on 1 of the shock shafts is really screwd up. Not stripped, but the threaded part is alot smaller in diameter than the other shafts, so the ball cup thingy just slips straight off. Lucky I had a spare shaft from a another car near enough in size .

If this was a someone who didnt have a bunch of spares from other cars, they would be totally screwed.
Is this what to expect from an $80 car ? I guess for that price i could have bought 2 and had spares.

Where do a find a default setup , or a does anyone have a setup sheet for LOW GRIP ashfeft , rubber wheels, 21.5T

Cheers
I will start building my shocks shortly, hopefully the parts are all ok.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 AM   #3265
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Hi guys.

Cheers
The setup for the car will be in the instructions as you build it. Also if you have any QC issues with the S2 I would suggest contacting Spec-R directly. They have outstanding customer service.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #3266
Tech Fanatic

My car is fully build up, even the electronics are installed but i do have some issues that i never had before.
First of all, the car has been build up correctly, that's been checked several times.
The center of the top of my front left damper lines about 1,5mm higher then the right damper, dampers are equal in size.
Also when i'm using the Spec-R dampers the front ride height is about 7mm and not able to go lower. If i would go lower the preload on the springs is to much. With these dampers i'm unable to have droop settings cause of the huge preload on the springs.
Also my front camber turnbuckle on the right side is also 3mm longer for the same camber settings then on the left side , strange thing is that my steering turnbuckles are the same in size.
I've been checking everything with a caliper and there is nothing wrong with everything i've been measuring.
I've been searching for answers but i really have no clue what's the cause of these differences.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #3267
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
M
Also when i'm using the Spec-R dampers the front ride height is about 7mm and not able to go lower..
would this explain it?
Spec-R R1

Lower shock towers, but doesnt have shorty shocks to match ??
Luckily I have some unused Sakura shocks that are shorter, sounds like I may need them .
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #3268
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

you need to use the most outboard shock position on the s1 front arms to get 5mm or lower. and lay the shocks down a little bit. alternately, you could look for shorter rod ends or shock rods.

I just built a T4 for someone who wanted to try out racing and i think a LOT of the parts would be directly interchangable. i might go as far to say you could get t4 shock bodies and shafts, and use all spec r parts for the rest.. I mean if you REALLY needed short shocks.
there is definitely a average quality with the t4 you dont see on the spec r, but the engineering doesnt really seem twice as expensive. my spec r has as free a drive train in all stock form and changing the spur on a t4 looks like a HUGE pita. on my serpent i had to take off the top plate and remove one layshaft carrier. same for the t4 but more, cause the bearings are captured by the bulkhead with no little peice to come off that holds the bearing.
its an ellegant car though. the swaybar holder is smarter dispite its simplicity. the hingpin inserts have more adjustments so you never have to remove the blocks from the chassis though i like the pillow ball system a lot of these asian cars are using. with the right shimming the suspension is SUPER free and you can mess with the angles to your hearts content.
id say the carbon fiber is a higher quality and definitely the finish of the metal parts. the anodizing of the spec r almost falls off to skinoil lol. t4 could take a little bit of tool horseplay and not chip. id also wager the aluminum alloy in the spec r isnt quite up to the 7075 t6 standard.. just seems too easily deformable.

so definitely the t4 is a better overall car for those who dont like to screw with it.
buuuut. ill still keep my $600...
id say my r1 is in need of a full tear down though. it ran a couple trophy races and a full 3hr enduro, then another two club races with nothing more than a blow and sweep down with a brush. definitely developed some slop.
but when they new they're nice =D
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:31 AM   #3269
Tech Fanatic

I've been thinking about shorter dampers too but the strange thing is that my TRF dampers are even longer by 2mm and with these dampers the car is fully adjustable.
Droop and ride height are all fine.
I will take a look at the car again and see what i can do to correct all those problems, if that's possible ofcourse.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:12 AM   #3270
Tech Regular

Hi guys,

Where is the best spot to buy spares for these? I'm chasing some parts to build up a second s1. I need the bulkheads, motor mounts, bumper and mount, pivot arms both inner and outer, c hub bushings.

It almost seems as though buying an s2 kit would be cheaper.

Ryan
Spec-R S1
filippimini is offline   Reply With Quote