R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #3001
Tech Regular

zaraz there are none that I am aware of. if you want to replace the plastic battery holders then most racers will remove the battery holders entirely and use race tape instead. If you are unsure about how to do it, go to your local track, I am sure someone will be happy to help you out.
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/yc8/1wmmuv8/s/tx/cx/1/
mrjudd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #3002
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Like these?

Two versions: One for race tape and the other one to keep the velcro system

I've designed them myself... You can also go for the Awesomatix solution

A friend of mine made a few of these items, I can check with him if everything's gone...
Airwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #3003
Tech Regular

that one your friend made looks great, what parts did he use?
Old 05-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #3004
DBM
Tech Addict

I made a simple carbon fiber strap. Some day I'll machine a thumb screw for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Spec-R R1-20140511_231029%7E01.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #3005
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Too much effort. Ebay m3 thumbscrew. Lian li makes some.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #3006
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
Like these?

Two versions: One for race tape and the other one to keep the velcro system

I've designed them myself... You can also go for the Awesomatix solution

A friend of mine made a few of these items, I can check with him if everything's gone...
can you please get me a quote on the carbon fibre ones, thanks
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #3007
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

what is awesomatrix solution
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #3008
DBM
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
Too much effort. Ebay m3 thumbscrew. Lian li makes some.
Sometimes I don't like waiting for parts to arrive, so I just go out to the garage and make it on my lathe. Sometimes I'm lazy, so I just order something and wait two weeks. The older I get, the more lazy I get.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #3009
Tech Regular

wish I had a lathe or a shed. Damn small house and too many kids
Old 05-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #3010
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
I'm thinking of ordering this shock/spring set:

http://www.rcmart.com/year-racing-xp...g-p-36301.html

I can't believe the price. Poor kids must get paid $1.60/month in the YR factory in order to produce that much stuff for such a low price.

Anyone here have any experience with this kit?
I bough them and I can't say I'm delighted. They are *usable* BUT

Springs are junk; not straight (not cylindrical), not the same length among one set of the same hardness. I didn't even bother trying them on.

O-rings pinch the shaft even with green slime, and putting them in the bottom cartridge tightens them even a bit more. Useless. I replaced them with muchmore O-rings I had laying around, and I also replaced the plastic shim that presses against the o-ring with a thinner one ( 1,5mm ) to get rid of the compression.

E-clips are WAY too thick to even fit in the groove. They come at 0,4 mm and and have to be sanded down to 0,3mm just so you can install them. I didn't try the pistons that come in the box but for the T.O.P. ones I had laying around ( was short on Tamiyas ), I even had to sand them further down to 0,25mm-ish so the piston was able to rotate (sort of) freely on the shaft without any perceptible up-and-down movement. All this took AGES and you end up messing you fingertips pretty bad from the friction on the sandpaper. I did that last week and my middle finger is still hurting as I type. Seriously.

Threads of the cap / bottom cartridge feel pretty "loose" to me, but that's admittedly unimportant as long as it stays in place.

That being said, the bladders feel nice and soft, and once all the issues above were addressed, they were pretty easy to fill bubble-free. I still have to drill the caps, but after 3 hours on 4 shocks, I just went to bed.

Bottom line, that is a lot of work for shocks on which you have to replace the o-rings right away, the pistons, work around the e-clip issues, and throw away 20 useless springs. Considering you can find Tamiyas for less than 45$ on ebay (IIRC), that's the route I'll go next time.

HTH
Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #3011
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Lathe is definitely a project on my burner.. in the next two year si wanna build a reprap and after ive done that its only a few modifications to a frame to make a 3axis cnc and then a lathe as well.
buying stuff is much easier and cheaper in the long run but lacks personal accomplishment =)
no delusions of competing with these big guys or china, but ill definitely put some kits out, there price is what it is, take it or leave it heh.

getting excited for outdoor season to FINALLY start. we took a month and a half off due to weather, and pussfooting around holidays.. we SHOUDL run this weekend.. three day weekend with one holiday.. lets fricken race! but whatevs.

fortunately ive had vrc to keep in shape. our big trophy race is less than 8 weeks away and my budget is thin due to real car expenses.. need tires.. transponders.. bodies.. entry fees.. lol. it never stops.

I finished first in touring stock at this race and 5th in modified last year. would be pretty sweet if i could podium touring stock and maintain a similar finish in mod. really depends who comes out to race.
hard for me to compete with 20 years of race experience with my 3 years of vrc experience heh.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #3012
DBM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the lengthy past. .... that info definitely helps. I'm quite satisfied with the stock shocks, but I want to upgrade the crappy socks on my TC4, so figured I'd buy some "better" shocks for my R1 and move the R1 shocks to the TC4.
Sanding down the clips sounds like a big PITA. Yikes. I'd likely try to enlarge the groove in the shaft rather than sanding down the clips. I wonder if the orange spec-r o-rings work ok in the YR shocks. I have 8 spares on order from TQRC. I would definitely be wanting to use the YR pistons.... those are the most attractive part of the kit to me due to the tapered holes allowing for more/less compression/rebound damping. Bummer about the Springs being bunk. I'll have to order some tamiya springs I guess. Or....I could just stick with the R1 shocks, and leave the crappy friction shocks on the TC4 (the TC4 is just a parking lot basher anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
I bough them and I can't say I'm delighted. They are *usable* BUT

Springs are junk; not straight (not cylindrical), not the same length among one set of the same hardness. I didn't even bother trying them on.

O-rings pinch the shaft even with green slime, and putting them in the bottom cartridge tightens them even a bit more. Useless. I replaced them with muchmore O-rings I had laying around, and I also replaced the plastic shim that presses against the o-ring with a thinner one ( 1,5mm ) to get rid of the compression.

E-clips are WAY too thick to even fit in the groove. They come at 0,4 mm and and have to be sanded down to 0,3mm just so you can install them. I didn't try the pistons that come in the box but for the T.O.P. ones I had laying around ( was short on Tamiyas ), I even had to sand them further down to 0,25mm-ish so the piston was able to rotate (sort of) freely on the shaft without any perceptible up-and-down movement. All this took AGES and you end up messing you fingertips pretty bad from the friction on the sandpaper. I did that last week and my middle finger is still hurting as I type. Seriously.

Threads of the cap / bottom cartridge feel pretty "loose" to me, but that's admittedly unimportant as long as it stays in place.

That being said, the bladders feel nice and soft, and once all the issues above were addressed, they were pretty easy to fill bubble-free. I still have to drill the caps, but after 3 hours on 4 shocks, I just went to bed.

Bottom line, that is a lot of work for shocks on which you have to replace the o-rings right away, the pistons, work around the e-clip issues, and throw away 20 useless springs. Considering you can find Tamiyas for less than 45$ on ebay (IIRC), that's the route I'll go next time.

HTH
Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 AM   #3013
Tech Regular

good luck with the upcoming season Valk. I have a 6hour enduro team event coming up next month. The team will be running a Spec-R R1 Pro and it is a stock (blink) 21.5T motor and control tyres event. The only run rubber at this track and I am used to running foam, this will be an education. We are planning a trip to the track in the next weeek to do some fine tuning.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:57 AM   #3014
Tech Addict

Are you running on the weekend mrjudd??

If so i might be able to come up and say hello while i am looking at an R1 Prospec that is for sale in the area.

If you are would you be able to bring those DJC's you offered me a while back and I will grab them.

Cheers
Nudge
nudge2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 AM   #3015
Tech Regular

Not running this weekend Nudge. my ESC went nukular on friday night and I am waiting on the replacement to arrive. My next race will be on the Friday 23rd I can come down to the track though with the DJCS. PM me and I will give you my number so we can get organised, Who are you getting the pro spec off of?