R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #2821
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

1mm of shims where? i was shimming between the bushings and the block. my t3 blocks took 0.3 of shimming to center with the spec r block. i havent put any shims on the ball if htats what your talking about.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #2822
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

1mm between the bushing and the top of the steering knuckle. The T4 knuckles might be thinner than the T3 ones maybe?
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #2823
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone have quality control issues with Spec-R parts? Ordered some of their Aluminum wheel hexes and 1 of the 4 was cut wrong and the screw ends up going through the slot where the pin is supposed to be secured. Just worried if this is what I should expect with Spec-R parts when my pre-ordered S2 arrives.
SlowGuySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #2824
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGuySam View Post
Anyone have quality control issues with Spec-R parts? Ordered some of their Aluminum wheel hexes and 1 of the 4 was cut wrong and the screw ends up going through the slot where the pin is supposed to be secured. Just worried if this is what I should expect with Spec-R parts when my pre-ordered S2 arrives.
I've had a steering turnbuckle that wasn't threaded and a hex that didn't have a cut in it at all.

But... it is a $100 Chinese car.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #2825
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Crispy were those items in the kit or were they option parts you picked up. Don't want to buy more of their option parts if this is common. Good part is TQ is send me a replacement free of charge.
SlowGuySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #2826
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGuySam View Post
Crispy were those items in the kit or were they option parts you picked up. Don't want to buy more of their option parts if this is common. Good part is TQ is send me a replacement free of charge.
Turnbuckle was part of kit. Alum. hexes were options.

Don't sweat it. Spec-R made their name in after-market parts for ALL of the brands before they started making their own chassis. It's good cheap Chinese knock-off stuff!

You already know how to deal with it. Buy from TQ. I bought Spec-R branded swing shafts from (by the way labeled for X-ray but direct fit on Spec-R) and one of the two was broken. I contacted TQ and they just refunded my money on the spot. Didn't have to send anything back. I don't say this lightly but as an on-line entity, I've NEVER seen a better vendor.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #2827
Tech Initiate

My kit was perfect, along with the few option parts I got.
PEEKracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #2828
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

i guess it would make sense for the t4 ones to be smaller as per the whole low cg thing they were trying to do. 1mm seems like tons though lol. t3 blocks seem to match the spec r ones as far as width though. not sure about the steering sweep. i think the car had a little issue here after i used this block but i finished the weekend with it so meh.

ill give specr blocks another shot when my prospecs get here TOMMORROW! yay! but probably switch to t3/4 perm until the part is revised. cant really think of anything that should cause it to break so readily other than hitting clicktrack being a nono. maybe im tightening the screw too much?
ill try squirting some locktite in there and back it off 0.1ish next time. i got hundreds of screws to sacrifice now
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #2829
DBM
Tech Addict

after a few late nights, I finally got the S1 VTA car together and working. I have a few friends with HPI sprint 2 flux's and an ABC Genetic that play around in the parking lot beside their business after 5pm on Fridays, so I took out the S1 to play. The car worked fine, right up until i clipped a tire (that they use for corner markers) and broke a c-hub and steering block. I also had a rock go through the gears and center pulleys, causing damage.
Also, the car is FILTHY now. That was the first and last time that I use an indoor car in a parking lot. I'm not looking for a shaft driven car with enclosed spur/pinion gears for parking lot bashing. So far, the tamiya TT-01E is at the top of my list.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #2830
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
after a few late nights, I finally got the S1 VTA car together and working. I have a few friends with HPI sprint 2 flux's and an ABC Genetic that play around in the parking lot beside their business after 5pm on Fridays, so I took out the S1 to play. The car worked fine, right up until i clipped a tire (that they use for corner markers) and broke a c-hub and steering block. I also had a rock go through the gears and center pulleys, causing damage.
Also, the car is FILTHY now. That was the first and last time that I use an indoor car in a parking lot. I'm not looking for a shaft driven car with enclosed spur/pinion gears for parking lot bashing. So far, the tamiya TT-01E is at the top of my list.
Associated TC4 Club Racer would be just as good. Plastic tub, shaft drive, spur is a little better protected. TC4 parts are 50% of what Tamiya parts cost and you don't have to buy an entire $15 parts tree just to get one part. I sold my TC4s on the cheap to guys looking to run VTA at my track. Now I'm kicking myself because I don't have an outdoor car.

I ran my S1 outside today in prep for an outdoor Hobbytown parking lot race next week. I'll run it in USGT or VTA depending on the number of entries. Even after jacking the ride height up to about 6-7mm, the chassis took a beating. I'm glad I'm not tearing up an expensive carbon fiber chassis...
Old 04-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #2831
DBM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the suggestion of the TC4 club racer...I'll look into those!

Keeping in the theme of red anodized parts and budget racing, I bought the Turnigy Trackstar setup station from hobbyking.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...p_Station.html

It works well, and fit/finish is great.

I also ordered a center pulley assembly from a TOP Photon to try in the VTA car. It fit well, and uses 5x10x4 bearings, instead of the 5x8 bearings that the spec-r units use. The Photon part had much less radial runout, but did have a bit of a wobble, but overall was better than the spec-r part that it replaced.

I also ordered the aluminum spec-r center pulley for my 17.5 stock car, and it was also much better than the plastic stock part that it replaced, but it still has a tiny bit of radial runout. It might also be the kimbrough spur, but I've not tried a different spur to compare.

I bought all new tamiya ball cups and drilled holes in them all. Much nicer to not have to pop those things off every time I want to work on the car!

Oh, I also bought a front diff and filled it with 500,000cst oil. I ended up having remove it a put more oil in it....it is difficult to tell how much oil is in it. :P The problem that I had was, the diff would really loosen up after spinning it a few rotations. It was initially stiff when the oil was clumped in the bottom, but once spread around, loosened up a bunch. Adding a bit more seems to have fixed it.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #2832
Tech Regular

DBM looks lie you have had a bit of a shopping trip. I think you will find the 500000 oil to be too stiff for the front. I have been running 300000 in my front diff and in the pro spec this car just rotates like nothing else. Also I saw the trackstar setup board and was a little concerned about the perspex markings. Have you checked it against any other brands? Put someone elses setup board on after setting yours up? I would really like to know exactly how good they are before ordering one myself as I love my anodised red cheap stuff
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/yc8/1wmmuv8/s/tx/cx/1/
mrjudd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #2833
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
I've had a steering turnbuckle that wasn't threaded and a hex that didn't have a cut in it at all.

But... it is a $100 Chinese car.
Stock servo steering turnbuckle thread was undersize in the S1 kit I got. It was also missing a flanged bearing. I emailed Spec-R directly and they promptly sent out replacements free of charge! I suggest that if you have any issues, email them. I found them very easy to deal with and they genuinely want to fix your problem!
poeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #2834
DBM
Tech Addict

Yup, I had a bit of a shopping spree as you can see in the attached pic. I need to order a few more items now....mostly just spacers and shims, maybe a couple of more diffs (one for the front of my vta car, and one for a local club member who has been very helpful to me). I'm not sure what other hopup parts to buy.... the car is working quite well and has gotten quite a few favorable comments from other racers about how well it works for its price. My driving is by far the limiting factor, but I'm improving every time I hit the track, so that's promising.

I did want to use 300000cst oil but it was out of stock at the time I ordered, so I ordered the 500000cst instead. I'll order 300000cst with my next order.

I didn't compare my trackstar setup station to anyone elses today, but I'll see if anyone has a hudy at Wednesdays practice night to compare to. I'll could also just use a protractor to check the accuracy of the markings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjudd77 View Post
DBM looks lie you have had a bit of a shopping trip. I think you will find the 500000 oil to be too stiff for the front. I have been running 300000 in my front diff and in the pro spec this car just rotates like nothing else. Also I saw the trackstar setup board and was a little concerned about the perspex markings. Have you checked it against any other brands? Put someone elses setup board on after setting yours up? I would really like to know exactly how good they are before ordering one myself as I love my anodised red cheap stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Spec-R R1-20140403_164632%7E01%7E01%7E01.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #2835
Tech Addict

Hi Guys and Girls( if there are any around)

I am looking at buying an R1 ProSpec and was wondering if the following were included or needed to be bought separately.
1: Spec-R ( SPR-R1A110 ) Spec-R R1 Alu. Wheel Hex (4pcs) ( Cant tell be the photos of the car)
2: Spec-R ( SPR-R1H711 ) Spec-R R1 Suspension Mount Spacer Set
3:Spec-R ( SPR-R1H715 ) Spec-R R1 Alu. Belt Stabilizer Mount( Is this really needed?)

Also can someone list the bearing sizes as i have heard they arent that flash in the kit and should be replaced to reduce slop.

Also anything else apart from Front gear diff or DJC's, xray steering hubs, and hard bumper and spare arms and C hubs that i should get straight off the bat when ordering the kit.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the number of questions.

Cheers
Nudge
nudge2325 is offline   Reply With Quote