Spec-R R1

Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

If you're using a front gear diff instead of a spool, what diff fluid wgt would you recommend?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

500,000 to 1,000,000
Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use 300,000 in the front, gives good turn-in on our tight technical track.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks guys, so the spec r diff has internal bearings, and i pulled up the manual to verify that is correct, i just ordered it so hope it goes together well. Sounds like there hit or miss as far as leaking goes, Ill try the green slime out and build it the best I can, building my spec r piece by piece , no kit so may have another question down the road, glad you all are here !
Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

rtenzo02. I also use 300000 in the front diff and can confirm that it gives the best of both worlds. You get all the advantages of a front spool with the gear diff ability to let the outside wheel spin in the corners. Takes a slightly different driving style but you will pick it up quickly and have fun.

We had our regular Friday night race last night. Even though I was in the C main group, there was an extremely good turn out with 45ish drivers in the SSF class (super stock foam) With several current and past Australian champions driving. We all had a great night. Personally I got another PB (down to 18.7)in my SpecR S1 which I feel is getting faster each time I drive. I had one of the other drivers try it out to see how the setup is and they said it was a great car to drive, But it was a little slow to respond. Looks like I will need to upgrade my TX/RX combo. Time to move on to a Spectrum. Changed the setup of my car slightly. Moved the rear top mount of the shocks in all the way and moved their bottom mounts to the inner hole to clear my wheels. 5mm ride height at the front and 7mm rear. Also added the stock R1 sway bars, which really did make a big difference. Car feels alot more hooked up. `rant over

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You were going great guns MRJ, I nearly had you in the final until I went for the massive 'late stopper' that saw me totally miss the corner, thanks for 'polishing' my turret, was a highlight of the night.

Pulling both cars down today, 64 pitch doesn't cut it outdoors, you should see the mess I made of the brand new kimbrough spur, switching my car back to 48 pitch & ordering a mess load of spurs & pinions. All the 64p stuff will now go into the 1/12th scale box.

Catch up at a club meeting & I'll give you a new centre pulley to replace the one you 'lent' me.

Cheers.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I recently switched from a spool to a 1000K diff up front and I like it. It's a bit scary as the car has a TON more reaction and turn-in, but it definitely made me faster once I adjusted to the new feeling. I still have a long way to go in terms of consistency, but I wish I made the switch earlier.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Finally finished my Pro Spec.

Went together really well, no issues whatsoever. There's a lot less slop than the S1.

The wires aren't the tidiest but it's better than my last effort!

Topped it off with a shell from Franksbodies. Unfortunately I reamed one of the holes off centre so the front body posts point inwards a little

I can't wait until next weekend when I can run it.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Looks great and the body paint is deluxe!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

Nice body Dave - might see you down at Crewe one of these Friday nights !

Check out my blog which has a "hatcam" video of a race from our last club night.

www.spec-r-racer.com

The S1 ran great on our low grip tight technical track. Thinking of some more upgrades, but why change something that isn't broken !!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SteveM
Looks great and the body paint is deluxe!
Thanks. Frank's got skills! I've had a couple from him and they always look great.

Originally Posted by 32819toon
Nice body Dave - might see you down at Crewe one of these Friday nights !

Check out my blog which has a "hatcam" video of a race from our last club night.

www.spec-r-racer.com

The S1 ran great on our low grip tight technical track. Thinking of some more upgrades, but why change something that isn't broken !!
Thanks.

I love the hatcam!

My dad has a head mounted camera that he uses for skiing so I might ask to borrow it and give it a try. It'll help me see where I'm losing time.

You did pretty well in that vid, it's difficult with slower racers but on a tight track like that it can be an absolute nightmare. You did well to navigate through them unscathed!

I know how you feel about the S1. Mine was running perfect and I had no reason to upgrade other than the bling factor! I eventually succumbed to temptation!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default S1

Dear all
For those who still doesn't know which TC to chose.... Go with the S1!
Once more it surprised me this morning in our local indoor track.
There are many Yokomo BD7 drivers. I was the only one wiht an "exotic" branded car.
We are all equipped with 13.5 motors, blinky modus esc, stock version. Main difference, others were running with changed timing on motor, mine was still on 0.
And even then, I could almost keep up with them, 7.6 vs. 7.5.
My lap times were also more consistent than the "others".

All this with standard setup! Only modifiation: alu steering rack and floating servo mount.

I have never felt such a good handling as with that car. Incredible for this price level!
Attached Thumbnails Spec-R R1-img_2205-1024x768-.jpg  

Last edited by Italboy; 02-16-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Dave and Ital both cars looking great. I agree with Italboy that the S1 is a great car. I am trying really hard not to upgrade to the pro spec just for the 'Bling' factor. These cars are getting popular at our local track.

Thanks Wal. No big rush on the center pulley. Mine are new and have onlt done a handful of races. Sorry about the 'polish' on your roof. I had not intended on punting you off track. Just trying to make a gap. Guess there was no gap there. The car is really improving. Can't wait to get a decent radio on it. Might have to hit Rob up for his unused Spectrum and see if that makes any difference.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No stress brother, I think it might have been the highlight of the night, the older S1 flipping the newer ProSpec onto it's roof & shoving it down the track, remind me not to brake in front of you again.

It's all good, polished out after a quick wipe with some prepsol & a little #2 cutting compound.

Stay tuned for some new bodies & paint jobs, 1 will be a hark back to the old JPS racing car days, black & gold, the 2nd will be something different again, multi colour but with some unusual paint scheme (hey, what else would you expect from me?).
Old 02-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OldfartWal
remind me not to brake in front of you again.
Who is using brakes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.