R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2014, 12:26 AM   #2446
Tech Regular

When I looked at getting the new kit at Xmas time I priced up the upgrades from S1 to R1. The new kit is alot cheaper. Didn't look at the S1 to pro. I will be getting a pro at some point but I want to get a guitar first (Epiphone Les Paul, either LP-100, Traditional or Standard) I am just learning to play but want one that will inspire me to pick it up every day.
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/yc8/1wmmuv8/s/tx/cx/1/
mrjudd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #2447
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the body posts for the Pro Spec are in the same position as the S1?
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #2448
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

car geometry should be identical minus the top deck and motor mounts from S1 to R1/Pro Spec
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #2449
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
Does anyone know if the body posts for the Pro Spec are in the same position as the S1?
My bodies transfer right over.

Almost all parts are transferable. I think there are some different length drive shafts between the two, but that's it.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #2450
Tech Regular

Thanks
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #2451
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi all,

What the benefit of the white POM bushing on the spur gear holder compared to the kit black plastic one?

Cheers
Old 01-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #2452
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiston View Post
Hi all,

What the benefit of the white POM bushing on the spur gear holder compared to the kit black plastic one?

Cheers
Well... my spurs are somewhat thinner than others. So after you screw the two belt pulleys to either side, the whole assembly is more narrow than say using a Spec-R spur.

So by using the longer white bushings, it eliminates any side to side slop in the center pulley. Easier than trying to fit spacers in there.

The stock photo from Spec-R shows them using the white ones with the R1 because the aluminum is likely thinner than the plastic. But they work well for the S1 too when using thin spurs. I've used one black and one white with some spurs.

Last edited by .crispy; 01-28-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #2453
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ah ok, so the difference is just the size between the two
Old 01-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #2454
Tech Addict

Correct, the length is longer.

I named my dog Sydney...
Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #2455
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiston View Post
Hi all,

Cheers
I have a normal width spur on mine and it gives the layshaft some side to side movement. Ive got about 2 dozen runs like this and havent seen any problems from it. It feels like it gives the assembly a bit of a 'floating' affect.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #2456
Tech Addict

Default Gear diffs

I've mentioned this one before, but I'm not happy with the gears in the gear diffs. I run one in the front with 300,000 oil in. We have a tight technical indoor track on carpet. Today we had a straight which turned into a sweeper. I could see my front diff struggling through the sweeper, and when I got back to the pits the diff had gone. I've spoken to Xray drivers and they have never had issues with gears. I've put some carbon gears in and will see how they perform and how long they last. Anyone else had similar problems ?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #2457
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Smile

My S1 build went great. No leaks no strip just as planned. Next weekend I'm going to break her in with a 17.5.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #2458
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I keep either losing or breaking the small pin that holds the axle part of the Spec-r DCJs attached to the barrel. When the car comes off the track the pin and retainer ring spring are gone. Happened twice today. I did smack the pipes a bit so I'm assuming it's from that, but it was the same one both times. Is there a right and a wrong direction for putting on the retainer spring ring?

As a side note, I switched from a spool to a 1000k gear diff up front... holy immediate turn in Batman! Incredible respomse from the front end. I'm having to relearn how to drive as all my turnin points are now wrong and too soon. Crazy.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #2459
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Yeah the retainer spring probably moved or come out and the pin fell out. Those retainers are horrible. I put a piece of heat shrink over the whole barrel and prevented any issues.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #2460
Tech Apprentice

Hi all. New to the site.
I've been running Spec-R S1 cars for almost a year now. I really like them. They work well and the low cost is too much to pass up.
I run one car in Canadian Vintage Trans Am, mostly stock. It only has the aluminum steering, the floating servo mount, and R1 shocks. It works very well. It seems a little slow though. I have yet to figure out why though.

The other car I run in Stock Touring Car, 17.5 blinky. It has the option narrow 2.25mm lower chassis plate and the standard R1 top deck. I'm also using the R1 shock towers, floating servo mount, and TOP Photon shocks. This car is awesome!! The option chassis really woke this car up on the high traction carpet at my local track. Even with the plastic bulkheads and suspension mounts, this car is just as capable as some of the high end cars at my track. It competes against xray t4s, schumacher Mi5s, yokomo bd7s, Hobao h4s, and Associated 6.1 worlds cars and it can hang with all of them. That is as long as I'm not at the radio LOL!!

I recently pruchased an R1 and built it. It has the floating mount as well. Its set up to run USGT. I'm hoping it's going to be competitive. It's maiden run will be tomorrow. I'm super excited to see how it performs in comparison to the VTA car. Since I'm using the entire electronic setup from the VTA car in this new chassis, I should really be able to see the difference between the two kits. The VTA car is going to get my back up electronics put into it as I'm sort of putting that class on the back burner for now. I just want it functioning so I can let new people run it or just to have it around when I want to run an extra class.

The durability of these cars seem middle of the road to me. Not terrible, but I sure manage to break parts often enough. C hubs, steering knuckles and outer hinge pins are really the only things I break with any regularity. I have broken an S1 shock tower and top deck before though. The crashes that caused these parts to fail were pretty insane and I believe any car of any make would have suffered the same fate.

Anyway, long story short, Spec-R is incredible performance for the value. But you guys already know that!
Butler02 is offline   Reply With Quote