Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Smile

here's my S1

hop ups include

alu floating servo mount
Alu shock body
2pc alu motor mount
front DCJ

car was built with alu spacers instead of plastic spacers. using Tamiya on road springs. rear diff using 2k oil.

stock ball cups had been cut for a access hole.

all in all, the built was not without events.

1. diff oil cap had been broken when i receive this marvelous present from my wife. so, no diff oil for me.

2. reading thru this thread proved to be helpful. i knew my local track is abit or technical track, and such, i prefer abit more flex. Both Spec-R and EGR had no more floating servo mount. Thus, emailed to Spec-r, and Aki was kind enough to check the stocks and make arrangements for me to get the servo mount.

3. halfway thru the build, i realised that i had 4pcs of 40mm turnbuckles, and only 2pcs of 35mm turnbuckles. thus, Aki from Spec -R help to send me a set of red alu turn buckles, which i used it on the rear.

all in all, it's been an enjoyable build, cept the ball ends are abit of PITA, however, abit of ceramic grease, more or less solve it. i do have a new set of white ball ends that just came in, which, i might use it on the S1 if tuning proves too be too much of a PITA.

current setup had 1 degree toe-out, front 1degree camber, and rear is 1.5 degree camber. had a slow start at the local track, as gear ratio is not set up properly yet, the car handles pretty well, amongst the crowd of TRF, Xrays and such.

of course, another reason why i chose this car is also due to the fact that our local track had an endurance event somewhere in november last year, and the car in use is the Spec-R S1.

once again, kudos to Spec R for having such an affordable yet durable chassis for all to enjoy without breaking their bank account.
viktozzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #2387
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjudd77 View Post
I will definitely be there this Friday Wal, unless my partner decides that Friday is the day to have the baby. Looking forward to getting the new car on track and having a go with the R1. 3 days to go, YAY!
It's Saturday, all scale day, the R1 is ready, got the new bodies today, so racing against time to have a new body painted for the R1, not confident of the engine/speedie package arriving in time to have the Pro-Spec running, hopefully first round of the club champs.
OldfartWal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #2388
Tech Regular

Vicktozz, I had the same problem with the turnbuckles, and one of the oil caps being broken. Didn't get pics of the bits so they could be replaced. Tried RCMart (they wanted pics) might try SpecR directly.
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/yc8/1wmmuv8/s/tx/cx/1/
mrjudd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #2389
Tech Regular

Wal. Might not make it on Saturday. To say I am a bit disappointed is an understatement. Got a job booked on. I will try to get there just might be a bit late.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #2390
Tech Adept

The R1 is ready for this Saturday's All Scale meeting, in the new 'sic' graphics.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps9ab78c50.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps60ff2b6e.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...pse9c2f383.jpg
Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #2391
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

after moving some ballstuds around the car i got manage to get the rear swaybar to act properly. the inner link location seems to be too inboard to get the even bar action on the arms. so i used the inner hole of the three holes for shock mounting to mount the bar and added 3mm shims to the endlinks. now the bar acts evenly on both sides of the car where before it would only lift one side but not the other. I could experiment with futher outboard links but that would be an even more extreme angle.
probably pointless but the rear bar acts more like the t4 board i serviced on a friends car and should help the rear end a little bit. especially when tweaking.

very tempted to get in on a Prospec right now.. if someone buys my pancars i just might. though i just picked up a pair of VBC pancars. was thinking of grabbing a VBC for mod but the spec r has been very nice for stock. was debating upgrading to a CF chassis and towers to trim some weight and gain more flex. the car handles very nicely on ashphalt the way it is though so thats $100 i might not bother with. carpet was a bit of trouble for me on the weekend but in fairness, i didnt spend a lot of time on my touring cars . i basically guessed where it should be based on messing around at club racing and just left it alone.

any word on plastics for the prospec? will there be a more forgiving forumla coming in future revisions? i broke two steering blocks and a spool outdrive on the weekend. i think some of those parts need to be just a touch softer as the breaks are very clean to indicate a messton of carbon in the parts. they are light and rigid but too fragile maybe. but, xray stuff fits. at least the t2/t3 steering block did. got me through the weekend. might investigate using them exclusively in the future. not other parts failed on the car so not bad for $89.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #2392
Tech Addict

Spec-R made their name by providing aftermarket, direct replacement, less expensive parts for X-ray (and others). Seems odd to be putting X-ray parts on a Spec-R...

I've only broken a few c-blocks and some outer hinge pins in over a year of racing three different Spec-R cars. How are you guys breaking that many in one night?
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #2393
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Xray was what was available and direct fit.
Outdoors I wad stripping bsllcups and servo horns. Since repaced with tamiya parts.
Indoors it was being too agressive on a velcrod down clicktrack chicane.
Not like mt serpent was unskathed by that but only mudered a ballcup on that.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #2394
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjudd77 View Post
Vicktozz, I had the same problem with the turnbuckles, and one of the oil caps being broken. Didn't get pics of the bits so they could be replaced. Tried RCMart (they wanted pics) might try SpecR directly.
just sent the pics to Spec-R support. Might be Aki who would be replying tho.

replacement part for the turnbuckles reached me within 10days.

was testing out the S1 on a slippery surface, and my friend is pretty awed that the car is not drifting around, and tyres used are 28R, and is pretty worn out. we should be hitting the tracks this saturday to get some real run time on it, if weather permits us, as we only have outdoor tracks available.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #2395
Tech Rookie

Default gear ratio 13,5 t blinky

Hello,

I received my S1 yesterday a now I'm starting to build. I don't have a lot of expierence with electric touring cars, so I have some (stupid) questions !

What is a good gearratio to start with ? I want to drive outdoor and have a 13.5 t blinky mode.

I read a lot of low fdr's but in the manual I can't find such low fdr's. Would 84/26 be good to start with ?
roy#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #2396
Tech Regular

Welcome to the club Roy. The best advice I can give with the gear ratio is to download an app for either Iphone or Android. I use RC Final GearRatio on android and it is free.

The gear ratio will depend on the track you are running on and your style of driving.

I run 72/32 with a 10.5T. This ratio with the 13.5T will give you a final gear of 4.5 and a 41.87 rollout potentially 73.9kmh (45.94mph) this assumes 60mm wheel size and that your Kv is 3500 on your 13.5T
Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #2397
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy#5 View Post
Hello,

I received my S1 yesterday a now I'm starting to build. I don't have a lot of expierence with electric touring cars, so I have some (stupid) questions !

What is a good gearratio to start with ? I want to drive outdoor and have a 13.5 t blinky mode.

I read a lot of low fdr's but in the manual I can't find such low fdr's. Would 84/26 be good to start with ?
depends on motor...

i help built my friend S1 with a 13.5T. using 48dp spur and pinion. 80t spur and 25t pinion, and is quite a blast to drive in the parking lots. he don't even have the chance to full throttle it. note that ESC is set to blinky mode.

u can play ard from there. my own 17.5T setup is using 72T spur, 33T pinion, same 48 pitch.

reason for me to use 48pitch is because of the rougher outdoor track ,and past experience had me changing spurs and pinion more often than i can spend time to run the car.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:56 AM   #2398
Tech Adept

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My Pro Spec & R1 ready for tomorrows All Scale meeting at England Park Raceway, Brendale, Brisbane, Australia.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #2399
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They've got to be the most colourful bodies I've ever seen!
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #2400
Tech Regular

The colors should meld together at speed. I wonder what color they will go? Maybe they are hypercolor? LOL They are definitely different Wal.