R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #2281
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Just so I have this straight, you guys are LOOKING at the narrower chassis and determining that one has more flex over the other?
Without regard to material or thickness?
That's pretty amazing...
Looking at the specs of each car, the chassis of both cars is made of that carbon fiberglass material and they are both 2.5 mm. The sakura chassis looks like a 1/4 inch narower on both sides. Plus the Sakura has a lot more material removed from under the diff cases and spur than the spec-r does. One of the complaints/concerns in the Sakura forum is the rear diff and spur are completely exposed. The cutout goes from the rear toe block right to the motor mount. I do not own both cars so I cannot say for sure that the Sakura flexes more, but it does seem to be designed to.

I like the amount of flex the S1 has. Works well for me on low-med grip carpet that is very cold.
lawton70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #2282
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italboy View Post
I thought I have read in this thread that the material of the S1 chassis is harder than other brand. But I'm not sure.
That's funny, I have the opposite understanding of the S1 chassis. I read this and other articles on the spec-r and at one time people were buying the S1 chassis to put on their R1 because it had more flex than the carbon fiber one the R1 has. I figured that was one of the reasons that spec-r came out with the extra flex carbon fiber one that the pro-spec comes with.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #2283
Tech Regular

When I got my SpecR one of the guys who I race with bought the Sakura XI. Looking at them side by side , they are almost identical. The Sakura does have a little more flex but not that noticeable when driving. Even though they are very similar, the Sakura is more fragile. If you are a less experienced driver I would recommend the SpecR S1 as it seems to bounce back better after a crash.
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/yc8/1wmmuv8/s/tx/cx/1/
mrjudd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #2284
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawton70 View Post
That's funny, I have the opposite understanding of the S1 chassis. I read this and other articles on the spec-r and at one time people were buying the S1 chassis to put on their R1 because it had more flex than the carbon fiber one the R1 has. I figured that was one of the reasons that spec-r came out with the extra flex carbon fiber one that the pro-spec comes with.
Where did you read that? The S1 chassis is definitely stiffer than the original R1 chassis. The R1 can be made flexible if you remove some screws from the upper deck, but the Pro Spec upper deck and thinner chassis make it ever more so. The S1 is solid as a rock.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #2285
Tech Regular

i bought the s1 chassi and topdeck to soften up my r1, even when i had drilled several holes in the chassi it was like a rock, heavy and stiff.

if you want to flex up the original r1 buy the new topdeck, dremel some material off it if you want more flex, and test with removing screws in the topdeck

the prospec has more flex due to thinner chassi and different carbon fibre
Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #2286
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjudd77 View Post
When I got my SpecR one of the guys who I race with bought the Sakura XI. Looking at them side by side , they are almost identical. The Sakura does have a little more flex but not that noticeable when driving. Even though they are very similar, the Sakura is more fragile. If you are a less experienced driver I would recommend the SpecR S1 as it seems to bounce back better after a crash.
Look at this... Since the XI Sport was released they made a new chassis design for it: (from 3Racing FB site)
"New Fiber Chassis using a stronger more rigid material, newly designed A arms with reinforced structural design vastly enhances rigidity and durability."
So its more rigid than the previous model, the Sakura Zero S...
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #2287
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappe View Post
i bought the s1 chassi and topdeck to soften up my r1, even when i had drilled several holes in the chassi it was like a rock, heavy and stiff.

if you want to flex up the original r1 buy the new topdeck, dremel some material off it if you want more flex, and test with removing screws in the topdeck

the prospec has more flex due to thinner chassi and different carbon fibre
Ah, right, I now remember you doing that. The biggest flex improvement for the R1 is removing the 4 screws that go through the top deck and into the motor mount. It frees up the car a lot. If you still want more, you can remove the 4 "inner" screws on the ends of the top deck too.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 12-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #2288
Tech Apprentice

Another thing I like about the spec-r cars is they use parts that are near identical to xray and tamiya. For instance my son broke a steering block and the front body posts on a race day. Another fellow at the track had some posts and steering block for an xray T2 and they were a direct fit. This is something I also had considered before I bought the S1.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #2289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default wow...

First day out with the car on green carpet, new USGT tires, so you fellas know there ain't much grip there...

Added 2mm rear droop the the box setup and schuuuuwing - dialed!!

Chassis could do no wrong. The only extra I popped for was the alu pulleys.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #2290
Tech Rookie

Default Servo

What is a good servo for the Spec-R S1 ?

Savox 1251 mg ?
roy#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #2291
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy#5 View Post

Savox 1251 mg ?
The Savox is a great servo for the price. It does draw quite a bit of current though so you might need a glitch buster if you're using an older receiver.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #2292
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy#5 View Post

Savox 1251 mg ?
Yep, that will work just fine.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 12-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #2293
Tech Regular

Quote:
Look at this... Since the XI Sport was released they made a new chassis design for it: (from 3Racing FB site)
"New Fiber Chassis using a stronger more rigid material, newly designed A arms with reinforced structural design vastly enhances rigidity and durability."

It is the Sakura XI that I was talking about. Or do they have another one after the XI Ultimate?
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/yc8/1wmmuv8/s/tx/cx/1/
mrjudd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #2294
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Why do you want more rigid? You need flex in the chassis to develop rear grip, which is why the Pro chassis is better than the S1 on any low grip asphalt track.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #2295
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
Why do you want more rigid? You need flex in the chassis to develop rear grip, which is why the Pro chassis is better than the S1 on any low grip asphalt track.
I never said that I want it have rigid.
I just wanted to show that 3racing has made the chassis narrower they made it in the same time more rigid using harder materials. It means that even if the XI Sport has a narrower chassis plate it should not have automatically more flex than the S1.
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote