R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #1801
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMack12

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
Im talking about $85 motors and $150 escs lol. found a pretty good deal on rcmart that might be suitable
Ahhh...those would be "electronics", then When someone says "drive train", I think drive belts, gears, diffs, spools, one-ways, driveshafts, gearbox, dog bones, etc.
JimmyMack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #1802
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Im talking about $85 motors and $150 escs lol. found a pretty good deal on rcmart that might be suitable
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...rl&filter_mfr=

There's a couple cheap options at the top. Don't know about competitiveness.

Used motors are cheap and fairly trustworthy. Used ESCs maybe not so much.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #1803
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Hey, ill buy what the class specifies to compete but newbs arent nessisarily happy to spend $300 on a power system heh.

I picked this up for the s1. http://m.rcmart.com/mobile_product_i...ducts_id=36959
40 amps is tons for stock touring car. Might not have quite the same punch as a high end esc but 200watts is 200 watts.

Pretty excited to get the car and this power system. I baught orca competition stuff for my serpent but if i can finish top 3-5 in club racing with this stuff it will be a great illustration of the requirements to start racing.

Id be suggesting cheaper stuff like the hobbyking stuff but trying to keep roar approved. For local club racing doesnt really matter but we do host large events.
Car and power system puts me at $220 with spares atm plus shipping.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #1804
Tech Addict

Spec-R S1:

Getting the car to handle: took the car to the track for its maiden voyage last weekend. Medium-grip carpet (old carpet; getting replaced this month). Running it in VTA (Novak Edge/25.5 motor, 5000mAh SMC). Had to add over 100 grams (3.5 ounces) in weight; not much room to place it. Both front and rear shocks are laid in nearly to the most-inside. 25wt in front, 35wt in rear. Stock springs (might have others I can try). 3.0 degrees of toe-in in the rear. Put some SXT on the tires.

The car just wanted to spin out in every turn. I tried turning the steering way down. I had let off the throttle *waaaaay* back to even get the car to kind of "lay" into the turns, and even slower through the esses. Don't know how much "droop" is in it, as I don't have a gauge. But, the set screws in the A-arms are not even all the way through, so the arms lay down to the chassis. Had plenty of speed on straightaway (with the "fast" guys as far as the straightaway goes), but, because I had to let off early, they'd kick my a$$ through the infield.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #1805
Tech Addict

Stand up the shocks!
Center positions for me and my vta was money.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #1806
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Stand up the shocks!
Center positions for me and my vta was money.
Thanks. I got told by one of the "hot shoes" to lay 'em down.

I'll try that and go from there
Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #1807
Tech Addict

You got "Hot Shoes" running a Spec-R?

I've never even seen another one on a track until last night.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #1808
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post

Maybe try the same oil weight all the way around, not sure that heavier in the rear is the way to go. Did you raise the front links (inner) ? Might be something you could try as well.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #1809
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Spec-R S1:

Getting the car to handle: took the car to the track for its maiden voyage last weekend. Medium-grip carpet (old carpet; getting replaced this month). Running it in VTA (Novak Edge/25.5 motor, 5000mAh SMC). Had to add over 100 grams (3.5 ounces) in weight; not much room to place it. Both front and rear shocks are laid in nearly to the most-inside. 25wt in front, 35wt in rear. Stock springs (might have others I can try). 3.0 degrees of toe-in in the rear. Put some SXT on the tires.

The car just wanted to spin out in every turn. I tried turning the steering way down. I had let off the throttle *waaaaay* back to even get the car to kind of "lay" into the turns, and even slower through the esses. Don't know how much "droop" is in it, as I don't have a gauge. But, the set screws in the A-arms are not even all the way through, so the arms lay down to the chassis. Had plenty of speed on straightaway (with the "fast" guys as far as the straightaway goes), but, because I had to let off early, they'd kick my a$$ through the infield.

Any suggestions?
Just looking at your posted setup you should change the oil in your shocks first. 25wt in the front is really light and will lead to massive amounts of steering when the rear is a heavier wt oil if both have the same size and number of hole pistions installed. It really sounds like you want 35wt in the front and 25wt in the rear. Also dont use so much tire compound on the front tires. Maybe cover the whole rear tire and just the inside half of the front. Also you can put the compound on the rear tires first and let it set for an extra 10 minutes before you put any on the front tires then clean them both off at the same time. Also make sure you have the stiffer of the two kit springs on the front shocks and the softer springs on the rear. Good luck!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #1810
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

Laying the shocks over produces grip, if you are snap spinning out, it is not because of a lack of grip, it is because something else is fundamentally wrong with the geometry.

The main things i would look for, as this was what was also wrong with my S1, are weight transfer and droop. If the transmission is too tight, it will act as a brake, throwing all the weight forward off power unsettling the rear, and make sure you have rear droop.

You do not need gauges to check you have droop, only measure how much, place thumb and pinky finger on the wheels and lift the chassis with the other hand. 4 to 5mm of chassis rise is about 2mm of droop at the arms.

Hope that helps you, i also found that the S1 is too stiff out of the box, play with spring rates and shock oils to get it to feel planted.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #1811
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
The S1 is also good in TC, I have 2, that i run in 17.5, 10.5 and mod.
I'm thinking about getting a spec r s1 to run in 17.5 TC class. Is this a good kit for a small carpet track? I was thinking about getting sway bars & double jointed front driveshafts. Are there any other must have upgrades?
EXOTEK 22 SCT 2.0 - HW Xerun XR10 PRO ESC & Express Motorsports 24KO 17.5t
TLR 22T 2.0 - HW XR10 PRO ESC & HW Bandit 10.5T
DriveItLikeYSIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #1812
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Double jointed shafts probably defeat the purpose of a cheap car. Though swaybars are a must id say.
Im testing out the car in the same class but didnt realize it doesnt come with swaybars ha.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #1813
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Exclamation

Quote:
Double jointed shafts probably defeat the purpose of a cheap car. Though swaybars are a must id say.
Im testing out the car in the same class but didnt realize it doesnt come with swaybars ha.
I know the CV swing shafts increase the build cost but they were cheaper than ceramic bearings What setup sheet are you using / testing ?
EXOTEK 22 SCT 2.0 - HW Xerun XR10 PRO ESC & Express Motorsports 24KO 17.5t
TLR 22T 2.0 - HW XR10 PRO ESC & HW Bandit 10.5T
DriveItLikeYSIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #1814
Tech Master

I just make up my own. But will be similar setup to the xray i borrowed. Ill be running on ashphalt with sweep 32r tires. I usually start around 40 wt 4 hole shocks, 2.5 droop front 3 rear. Middle camber link hole front and rear with 3/4 mm shims under them. Spec r might be slightly different but we will see.

3* toe in the rear seems pretty standard and 0.5-1.5 front. 1* camber front 1.5 rear. We will see how it works though i really wish i had noticed the no swaybars when i ordered some parts from tq. Dont wanna do a seperate order just to get rollbars.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #1815
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Spec-R S1:

Any suggestions?

Hi JimmyMack12, as a base set up, you'll need the front a bit firmer than the rear - oil and springs, also raise the inner camber links. I have a carpet set up on my blog at www.spec-r-racer.com - our club has an old, low grip carpet as well, so the set up could be OK for you.

You've also got a lot of weight on the car, I don't put any on mine. Good luck with the set up and keep us updated with your car.