Ok, She's together!
I didn't shim the bulkheads cause I just couldn't find an issue personally. My drive train is smooth and rolls freely so I'll just consider it to be a production variance I guess.
I did have issues with the spurgear adapter having a lot of slop in it, I just put a couple of tiny shims in it and it seems fine now. The two plastic shims you put on there really need to be about twice the thickness they are.. no doubt an oversight. Then when I put the top deck on it rubbed the outside edge of the spur gear adapter just a hair, This is from me using a Kimbro spur gear that is wider than the stock one. So I beveled the edges of the top deck in this area and it fit without touching.. then I noticed that with equal spacers on each side of the spur the belts were running at a slight angle! I put a slightly thicker shim on one side and a narrower on the other. Whew, that was a PITA! Is the motor mount and layshaft holder shorter than the rear bulkheads for anyone else?
The kit oils had somehow leaked out of the little bottles so I had to toss that stuff, luckily I had some 1K left over from another project and then just used some Losi 45Wt since it's about 500cst.. I noticed the angle of the servo linkage to the steering rack is kinda steep so I used a long ball stud and some spacers to get less angle on it, seemed to even out the left/right steering limits.
A 3mm tap is really handy for the ball cups, my Tamiya ball cups were too short so I used the kit cups until I can order some that are longer.
All together it was a pretty easy build, things fit really well except the spur gear adapter, it needs some flanged bearings. It seems like this is probably just First run stuff that will be tweaked.. Hopefully they can find a better cap for the fluids, it's fine for most of us, but if someone new to RC buys the kit and has the same issue it could be a issue.