R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #1636
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Oh I see what you mean. No, the rubbing happens well within the range of arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakoo View Post
If you slowly turn the steering wheel until the wheels can't turn any more, and notice that the steering wheel (and more important, servo arm) can still move even more, you need to tell your transmitter to restrict the servo arm from traveling beyond that point (endpoint).

Squirrel made a video that shows how this works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJ5ws7sv04
SamuraiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #1637
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sounds like the belt must be a little too loose
Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #1638
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Bernard_Jr
Default Onroad Newbie

We have a new indoor carpet track opening here in Jacksonville soon so I picked up a S1 to join the fun when I'm not racing offroad.

I've added front and rear swaybars since those just seem appropriate. I'll go ahead and start reading from page 1 but are there any changes I should make or suggestions on what spare parts to have in the box?

Thanks for the help.
(sorry if this is repetitive and yes I'll shorten the body mounts )
Attached Thumbnails
Spec-R R1-1015833_355953607841141_759506652_o.jpg  
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bigman4415?feature=mhum
http://johnbernardjr.wordpress.com
Bernard_Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #1639
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This car is pretty durable so you won't need much. The basics are spare front and rear arms. castor and steering blocks, the one thing that seems to be the weakest link is the outer hinge pins. They break easily if you get a good impact on them, will save an arm but a pain in the butt if you don"t have the replacment part. Xray pins will fit and they are a little stronger. Thats about it.
2014 F.E.D.S. Mod Sprint and Sportsman Late Model Champion
2013 FSERA World GT State Champion
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #1640
Tech Apprentice

My friend's S1 apparently had 4 identical suspension mounts, and since they were on a parts tree, the mold itself must have been wrong. Since the identical mounts weren't 0 degrees, and they can't be turned around, both the front and rear inner toe was completely off and couldn't be fixed. Can only wonder how many others are running S1's with the same problem.

He switched to the R1 suspension mounts with inserts to get around the problem.

bakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #1641
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_Jr View Post
We have a new indoor carpet track opening here in Jacksonville soon so I picked up a S1 to join the fun when I'm not racing offroad.

I've added front and rear swaybars since those just seem appropriate. I'll go ahead and start reading from page 1 but are there any changes I should make or suggestions on what spare parts to have in the box?

Thanks for the help.
(sorry if this is repetitive and yes I'll shorten the body mounts )
Get a servo saver and maybe upgrade the steering rack.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #1642
Tech Addict

I've had a ton of issues with screws backing out of the aluminum steering rack. Both the ball studs in the front and the top screws. I've used blue locktite but I don't want it getting in the bearings.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #1643
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
My friend's S1 apparently had 4 identical suspension mounts, and since they were on a parts tree, the mold itself must have been wrong. Since the identical mounts weren't 0 degrees, and they can't be turned around, both the front and rear inner toe was completely off and couldn't be fixed. Can only wonder how many others are running S1's with the same problem.

I never had this problem, must have been unlucky, i have 2 S1 and both came out of the box perfect.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #1644
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:

Aren't they supposed to be offset??
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #1645
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

That's exactly how mine looked and went together just fine, it clearly shows in the manual how to orient the offset mounts.....
Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #1646
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaDC View Post
That's exactly how mine looked and went together just fine, it clearly shows in the manual how to orient the offset mounts.....
In the manual, you can tell that the offset on the left and right is mirrored 180 degrees so the distance from the center to the inner pins remains identical on both sides.

On my friend's car, however, all the red lines on all four mounts are identical, i.e. not mirrored from left to right. All the blue lines are also identical, though not of the the same length as the red ones, making the distance from the center to the inner pins different on left and right.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #1647
Tech Addict

Sorry, he's installing them wrong.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #1648
Tech Apprentice

Default You're missing the point, his kit had a production problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Sorry, he's installing them wrong.
As I said before all four mounts that came with his kit were completely identical, with the skewed-to-left hole and everything - how on earth could they be installed in any other way?
If the parts were supposed to be identical, the hole would have to be in the middle to make the left and right toe symmetrical, and the manual wouldn't ask you to take note of the direction as it obviously doesn't matter how you mix and match 4 completely identical parts.

Anyway, if your out of the box inner toe seems completely off between left and right, you probably got a kit from a batch made with the same faulty mold as my friend. His solution was to get the R1 aluminium mounts with inserts, and lived happily with correct toe ever after
Old 07-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #1649
Tech Addict

Quote:
As I said before all four mounts that came with his kit were completely identical, with the skewed-to-left hole and everything - how on earth could they be installed in any other way?
If the parts were supposed to be identical, the hole would have to be in the middle to make the left and right toe symmetrical, and the manual wouldn't ask you to take note of the direction as it obviously doesn't matter how you mix and match 4 completely identical parts.

Anyway, if your out of the box inner toe seems completely off between left and right, you probably got a kit from a batch made with the same faulty mold as my friend. His solution was to get the R1 aluminium mounts with inserts, and lived happily with correct toe ever after
Let's see a picture of four identical mounts?

I'm sorry, I don't believe that Spec-R has a faulty mold and produced exactly one kit with it.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #1650
Tech Adept

I agree this chassis (R1) is very durable. I have never broken a pin yet though. I have put this car through some very heavy impacts with little to no damage at all. A few ball cups popping off here and there (I use Tamiya ball cups). Yesterday in practice I had my first major on track breakage. When I picked the car up, I was wondering where the front wheel had gone.

I found it residing in the rear of the car...

Amazingly enough I did not find any broken parts. The pivot balls and spacers were missing (somewhere on the track), and I found the shock laying on the track. I found one of the offset spacers out of the car and a bit deformed. But other than that, no broken parts. As someone who is new to this hobby and going through my learning curve, I am truly amazed at how well this car holds up to the abuse!