R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #151
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

so after realizing that the R1 is a combination of tamiya suspension and xray drivetrian with a hint of top photon. I found out that tamiya 417 aftermarket bumpers are direct fits and the center pulleys can also be replaced with the top racing optional aluminum ones seen here: http://c456141.r41.cf0.rackcdn.com/i...o-pdt011rd.jpg.

also you can already get the spec-r dcj driveshafts for the front as they are there xray version.

you can also run the rsd spring set on these shocks and there bladders i am running the rsd soft bladders and i like them alot .

I would also suggest replacing the stock ballcups with some real tamiya ones as they are a perfect fit with no slop.

another note i removed the wieght from my car as i now have my bmi racing lipo battery and i re-wieghed my car and it is 1385g race ready and the lipo wieghed 318g , reciever 8 g , esc 60g, servo 44.5 g
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #152
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When you said the RSD springs did you mean the RSD springs for the TC6? Also, the bladders are the 10MM bladders?

Are these the DCJ's you meant? I'm probably gonna purchase them today since I race with Christian every Thursday (using "Race With" loosely here since his RSD is stupid fast).

http://reflexracing.3dcartstores.com...AY_p_1336.html

I'm gonna order the TOP center pulleys, do I need their mounting shaft as well or will the one with my Kit work?
Xenolance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #153
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yes, the XRAY DCJ's should be a direct drop in.

Also, FYI, the R1 spare parts have been ordered and on the way. They should go on the website sometime next week is my guess.

I did not order EVERYTHING, but I ordered plenty of the heavy wear items. If by the time all the parts are on the site, you don't find something you would like me to stock, please let me know and I will add it to the next Spec R order.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #154
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
When you said the RSD springs did you mean the RSD springs for the TC6? Also, the bladders are the 10MM bladders? yes

Are these the DCJ's you meant? I'm probably gonna purchase them today since I race with Christian every Thursday (using "Race With" loosely here since his RSD is stupid fast).

http://reflexracing.3dcartstores.com...AY_p_1336.html

yes

I'm gonna order the TOP center pulleys, do I need their mounting shaft as well or will the one with my Kit work? i think the kit shaft should work just fine.
answers are in red
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #155
Tech Adept

Sweet! Between you and Christian this has been great! I've been eagerly waiting to build a parts box for the spec-r so I'll keep hammering your site Christian.

Thanks for the update and thank you for the answers Jeff!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #156
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Spec-R R1 kits and spare parts are in stock at TQ RC RACING.

FYI, Thanks.
http://www.tqrcracing.com
tq@tqrcracing.com
spring71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #157
Tech Elite

my setup is now on petitrc.com http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/spec...eway201210.pdf
Old 10-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #158
Tech Adept

you know.. I've yet to make a purchase from TQ racing! I always buy from SpeedtechRC or Reflex racing.. Reflex wins out if they have it in stock because I A. know the owner in person, and B. don't have to pay shipping (but do pay tax). Maybe I'll order some items from TQ to spread the love a bit.

Also, thanks for sharing the setup! I'll duplicate it for my first run to give me a good starting point!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #159
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Luke Hobson

Ok, so my car turned up finally after sitting in customs for over a week :-/

Built it yesterday, no major concerns at all apart from as jeff mentioned, the layshaft is miles off with regards to shimming, I must have measured about 1.2mm extra endfloat. But that is easily shimmed out, or in my case I think I'm just going to make up some new bushes that the layshaft sits in to take up the slack.
Also the hubs with the top hats feel like they needed a shim in too.. Like you have on the TCX etc between the top hat and the c hub.

I too had to add 0.1mm spacers to the upper bulkheads to avoid pinching.

Basically the car went together very simply, just be sure to have some of the correct sized shims available when you do the build.

All in all a nice piece of kit and I can't wait to give it a run in the next few weeks.

Pictures of unboxing and build in my blog link below

http://luke-hobson.blogspot.com/
Luke Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #160
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hobson View Post

Basically the car went together very simply, just be sure to have some of the correct sized shims available when you do the build.
I'm not seeing what pinch you're talking about? I'm sitting here about to assemble it but I don't have any shims at all so I'm probably going to wait and get it done when I'm at the LHS so I can find shims etc. Can you take a quick picture of where you needed to shim it please?

Thanks for the update regardless! (I only see unboxing on your blog FYI.. did I miss the build pics?)
Old 10-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #161
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
I'm not seeing what pinch you're talking about? I'm sitting here about to assemble it but I don't have any shims at all so I'm probably going to wait and get it done when I'm at the LHS so I can find shims etc. Can you take a quick picture of where you needed to shim it please?

Thanks for the update regardless! (I only see unboxing on your blog FYI.. did I miss the build pics?)
They are talking about putting the shims on top of the front and rear bulkheads before you screw on the upper camber link mounts. The shims prevent the pinching of the diffs and spool bearings that go into the plastic that holds them in place.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #162
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hobson View Post
Ok, so my car turned up finally after sitting in customs for over a week :-/

Built it yesterday, no major concerns at all apart from as jeff mentioned, the layshaft is miles off with regards to shimming, I must have measured about 1.2mm extra endfloat. But that is easily shimmed out, or in my case I think I'm just going to make up some new bushes that the layshaft sits in to take up the slack.
Also the hubs with the top hats feel like they needed a shim in too.. Like you have on the TCX etc between the top hat and the c hub.

All in all a nice piece of kit and I can't wait to give it a run in the next few weeks.

Pictures of unboxing and build in my blog link below
Last night I changed out the kit spur gear for a kimbrough spur gear and the Kimbrough gear is thicker which makes it so the kit shimming on the layshaft ends up being correct. Only thing is the position of the belts on the center pulleys are now not.centered they are slightly rubbing the inner pulley wall. I changed out the.spur because the.kit spur is very load .
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #163
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
They are talking about putting the shims on top of the front and rear bulkheads before you screw on the upper camber link mounts. The shims prevent the pinching of the diffs and spool bearings that go into the plastic that holds them in place.

Steve
That's correct thanks Steve .
Old 10-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #164
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If anybody has part numbers for the shims used on the layshafts or exact sizes if they are 4C parts.

Also I have a Serpent S400 sitting on the shelf. We all know why they sit on the shelf. Ok so what I want to know is after some degree of hearsay that Tamiya suspension fits on the S400,(Yes I know that I am in the R1 thread) and some more hearsay that the spec R1 suspension is like the Tamiya. You see where I am going with this? I want to know if I can use R1 parts, anything, arms, C hubs, Steering knuckles, on the old snake.

If anybody that is excited about this car has an S400 sitting nearby, I would appreciate it if you would take some measurements during your build. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #165
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Luke Hobson

As above re: shimming upper bulkheads, it was a common problem on the tamiya 416.

Also regarding shimming, for wishbones, the kit is a total of 5mm (3+2) but I found to make them fit perfectly and freely with no slop I had 4.3mm (2.3+2) at the front then 2+2.6 in the rear... If that makes sense.

I've not thrown a xenon spur on it yet do I'll see if that takes up the slack as its similar thickness to the kimboro.

Thats the only gripe with the whole kit.
Everything else fit and finish wise is perfect.

http://luke-hobson.blogspot.com/
Luke Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote