Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree221Likes

Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-02-2021, 05:42 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks! I will have to try them.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wayne Congrats on the Champs I wish you would have answered that telephone call Also thanks for the power!

The XTi is a great car out of the box just add a front brace and 30 K in the tubes and a red or green center spring depending on how much steering you need with Black fronts and GrayLow rears and you will have a fast car that is easy to drive!

Are there any pics of Frank's car with the new chassis? I can't wait for that to come out to use on my car that I use for low traction tracks.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brad Mergy
Wayne Congrats on the Champs I wish you would have answered that telephone call Also thanks for the power!

The XTi is a great car out of the box just add a front brace and 30 K in the tubes and a red or green center spring depending on how much steering you need with Black fronts and GrayLow rears and you will have a fast car that is easy to drive!

Are there any pics of Frank's car with the new chassis? I can't wait for that to come out to use on my car that I use for low traction tracks.
Hey Brad!

I almost ran out of paper for the dyno's printer..lol..

We learned alot and had fun!

Hope to see you and Lee soon.

Good luck racing!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default new xti main chassis

I have heard and seen a new main chassis for the xti. The chassis already have the transverse setup incorporated into the chassis so no need to by the transverse system with this new chassis. Has anyone else seen or know anything about the new chassis? I emailed John of crc costomer service to get more info and price.it's not on crc's Web site yet. I live in MD and one of the local racer's already has one say's he picked it up at a race in Ohio. Oh by the way I already cracked the original xti chassis twice and the pod plate once. My xi car never broken a thing.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee
I have heard and seen a new main chassis for the xti. The chassis already have the transverse setup incorporated into the chassis so no need to by the transverse system with this new chassis. Has anyone else seen or know anything about the new chassis? I emailed John of crc costomer service to get more info and price.it's not on crc's Web site yet. I live in MD and one of the local racer's already has one say's he picked it up at a race in Ohio. Oh by the way I already cracked the original xti chassis twice and the pod plate once. My xi car never broken a thing.
On the new chassis, did they add more around the front body posts? I do not own one yet but I have seen some failure there on cars at my club.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee
Mine is the car that bigtee was looking at tonight. The new chassis plate is called "altered ego". It has the side wing extensions integreated into the main chassis plate to accommodate a transverse battery. It also features additional graphite around the front body mounts to make that vulnerable area of the chassis much stronger. For those who want to keep their cars inline, CRC has also added more graphite around the front body mounts on the newest XTI inline chassis plates. One thing to note about the altered ego chassis plate is that it shortens the car's wheelbase to about the length of the earlier version GenX cars, which are about 1/4 inch shorter than either the XI or the XTI. My XTI car has been dramatically better for me since fitting it with the 'altered ego' chassis plate. The new chassis also allowed me to position the servo behind the front axle instead of in the very front of the car since there is now more room in front of the battery for the speedo and the receiver. While some of the team guys had terriffic results at the Indoor champs with the XTI inline setup, I much prefer the feel of the car with the shorter wheelbase and with the weight more centralized. I've been happy with the performance of the altered ego chassis ever since the very first laps with it.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vafactor
Mine is the car that bigtee was looking at tonight. The new chassis plate is called "altered ego". It has the side wing extensions integreated into the main chassis plate to accommodate a transverse battery. It also features additional graphite around the front body mounts to make that vulnerable area of the chassis much stronger. For those who want to keep their cars inline, CRC has also added more graphite around the front body mounts on the newest XTI inline chassis plates. One thing to note about the altered ego chassis plate is that it shortens the car's wheelbase to about the length of the earlier version GenX cars, which are about 1/4 inch shorter than either the XI or the XTI. My XTI car has been dramatically better for me since fitting it with the 'altered ego' chassis plate. The new chassis also allowed me to position the servo behind the front axle instead of in the very front of the car since there is now more room in front of the battery for the speedo and the receiver. While some of the team guys had terriffic results at the Indoor champs with the XTI inline setup, I much prefer the feel of the car with the shorter wheelbase and with the weight more centralized. I've been happy with the performance of the altered ego chassis ever since the very first laps with it.

This new "altered ego" chassis sounds good. does anyone know when we will see this on the shop.

ive just purchased a xti, and will be running this on both a small asphalt followed by a large asphalt track at our nationals next year.

do people find the transverse layout better for asphalt, then inline??
Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

That's fantastic news. I have been holding off the newer longer chassis's as I tried it and did not like it. I still have my old GenX with the old pod. lol I needed more weight anyways so I just balanced the pod with a little lead near the pinion
Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sg1
I originally tried this on my WGT.

When I raised the outer end and lowered the tube lube the dampening felt more linear (if that makes sense). I guess you could compair it to changing your shock angle.

It may be more of an effect then what we may think because of how the 2/56 balls are mounted onto the pod top plate. Being on the bottom there's less leverage/movement then if they were mounted on the top. So by straighteneing the tubes (raising the outer end) and lowering the dampening it frees it up and lets the chassis roll more. For me it's easier to drive
How do you rasie the outer end of the tubes? Do you do put washers under the ball studs? If so how thick? Thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2012, 03:51 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGBOT
How do you rasie the outer end of the tubes? Do you do put washers under the ball studs? If so how thick? Thanks in advance
I used the CRC high roll center balls

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...od&prodID=1407
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

Hello everyone. The 'Altered Ego' chassis conversion came about following some feedback I gave Frank after running the kit Xti with transverse 'wings' conversion a couple of times here in the UK. I think some of his other drivers had some input/suggestions too.

In the UK over the last 12-18 months we have seen a trend emerge towards cars that have a centre pivot that is mounted further forward on the chassis. So basically the swing arm length from the pivot to the axle centreline is longer. A couple of independent manufacturers such as V-Dezign have been running this configuration for some time now, and in fact it was when I drove for Vesa that we started doing this with earlier versions of the Carpet Ripper.

The consensus on this side of the pond is that a longer rear pivot length makes the car more stable in medium to high speed corners, making it less likely to step out or snatch in the middle of such a bend. This suits European tracks which tend to me larger and more open, whereas US tracks are much tighter and smaller.

In Europe, a transversely mounted battery also seems to be more favoured as it makes the car less twitchy and front-endy. Most of Europes top drivers now run a transverse battery if their car allows. The worlds were won by a transverse car, and both of the first two UK nationals this season have been dominated by a car with a transverse battery and forward pivot location.

From a personal point of view, I also felt that the wheelbase on the standard Xti was a little long. In fact it was much longer than anything I had previously run. I also found it frustrating that with the transverse wings bolted onto the chassis it was so difficult to mount the electrics in a neat and tidy way. For such a long car there was hardly any space on the chassis.

Lastly, the first time I ran the Xti I broke the front corner off the chassis plate where the body post mounts.

So I asked Frank whether he would make me a chassis to try which incorporated a few alterations to the standard Xti. A shorter wheelbase, longer rear pivot-axle length, one-piece construction for transverse battery, and beefier tabs at the front corners for added strength.

The 'Altered Ego' chassis conversion is the product that will go to market as a result. It has;

One-piece construction (so no bolt-on wings)
3mm shorter wheelbase than std. Xti
Centre pivot and shock arrangement moved 5mm further forward than std. Xti
Extra material around the front lugs.

The kit will comprise of 3 parts - main chassis plate, lower pod plate, upper pod/shock plate. Everything else from the standard Xti kit will mount straight onto the Altered Ego chassis. I think it is still possible to run the battery down the middle too, but space is very tight. I believe Frank has run the car like this in testing.

Running the car with this configuration should make it easier to drive and a little safer overall. Single lap pace will be unchanged, if anything very slightly slower I think, but over 8 minutes most drivers will find it is more consistent and less sensitive. As we all know - the race is 8 minutes long, not 1 lap. So far I've been very pleased with mine.

I hope this helps. Feel free to email me or post on the CRC forum if you'd like any further info about the car. I'm not a regular user of this forum, but I do come on here for a look occasionally.

Thanks
Mark Stiles
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mark Stiles
Hello everyone. The 'Altered Ego' chassis conversion came about following some feedback I gave Frank after running the kit Xti with transverse 'wings' conversion a couple of times here in the UK. I think some of his other drivers had some input/suggestions too.

In the UK over the last 12-18 months we have seen a trend emerge towards cars that have a centre pivot that is mounted further forward on the chassis. So basically the swing arm length from the pivot to the axle centreline is longer. A couple of independent manufacturers such as V-Dezign have been running this configuration for some time now, and in fact it was when I drove for Vesa that we started doing this with earlier versions of the Carpet Ripper.

The consensus on this side of the pond is that a longer rear pivot length makes the car more stable in medium to high speed corners, making it less likely to step out or snatch in the middle of such a bend. This suits European tracks which tend to me larger and more open, whereas US tracks are much tighter and smaller.

In Europe, a transversely mounted battery also seems to be more favoured as it makes the car less twitchy and front-endy. Most of Europes top drivers now run a transverse battery if their car allows. The worlds were won by a transverse car, and both of the first two UK nationals this season have been dominated by a car with a transverse battery and forward pivot location.

From a personal point of view, I also felt that the wheelbase on the standard Xti was a little long. In fact it was much longer than anything I had previously run. I also found it frustrating that with the transverse wings bolted onto the chassis it was so difficult to mount the electrics in a neat and tidy way. For such a long car there was hardly any space on the chassis.

Lastly, the first time I ran the Xti I broke the front corner off the chassis plate where the body post mounts.

So I asked Frank whether he would make me a chassis to try which incorporated a few alterations to the standard Xti. A shorter wheelbase, longer rear pivot-axle length, one-piece construction for transverse battery, and beefier tabs at the front corners for added strength.

The 'Altered Ego' chassis conversion is the product that will go to market as a result. It has;

One-piece construction (so no bolt-on wings)
3mm shorter wheelbase than std. Xti
Centre pivot and shock arrangement moved 5mm further forward than std. Xti
Extra material around the front lugs.

The kit will comprise of 3 parts - main chassis plate, lower pod plate, upper pod/shock plate. Everything else from the standard Xti kit will mount straight onto the Altered Ego chassis. I think it is still possible to run the battery down the middle too, but space is very tight. I believe Frank has run the car like this in testing.

Running the car with this configuration should make it easier to drive and a little safer overall. Single lap pace will be unchanged, if anything very slightly slower I think, but over 8 minutes most drivers will find it is more consistent and less sensitive. As we all know - the race is 8 minutes long, not 1 lap. So far I've been very pleased with mine.

I hope this helps. Feel free to email me or post on the CRC forum if you'd like any further info about the car. I'm not a regular user of this forum, but I do come on here for a look occasionally.

Thanks
Mark Stiles
Thanks for the update Mark.

is the conversion available now, if not do you guys have a ETA?

David
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well I had the car out this weekend and being new too 12 scale I can't compare it too anything but it felt great ...handles much better then my sedans(obviously) but with grey rears and black fronts the car was pretty easy to get around the track ......the one thing I wish was different was the screw sizes....I always was able to find any odd ball size screw at a fastener place in town which is 15000 square feet of just screws and the one screw they don't even have and they said was really rare was the 7/16 size ...is there a reason behind all these odd ball sizes ? Even when wrenching on the car the included Allen keys are all right but I have a full hudy tool set that's useless when working on this car....was it not possible to use more common size screws on this car?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
Well I had the car out this weekend and being new too 12 scale I can't compare it too anything but it felt great ...handles much better then my sedans(obviously) but with grey rears and black fronts the car was pretty easy to get around the track ......the one thing I wish was different was the screw sizes....I always was able to find any odd ball size screw at a fastener place in town which is 15000 square feet of just screws and the one screw they don't even have and they said was really rare was the 7/16 size ...is there a reason behind all these odd ball sizes ? Even when wrenching on the car the included Allen keys are all right but I have a full hudy tool set that's useless when working on this car....was it not possible to use more common size screws on this car?
1/16"
.050"
3/32"
5/64" or 2 mm

11/32" for the diff

These aren't too uncommon here.
I don't remember using anything 7/16"...?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Agreed. The motor screws are metric, everything else is 4-40, or 2-56, with the exception of the screws that hold the front arms to the chassis. I believe that is what he is talking about. The new chassis takes a button head instead of a countersink screw, all available through teamcrc.com.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.