Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree221Likes

Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-02-2021, 05:42 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sg1
Hey Guys,

I just got back from the US Indoor Champs and thought I'd share my set up info with you.

I ran 1/12 17.5 Masters, TQ'ed and won the main with the following set up:

.50 front springs (.01" gap between stearing block and lower pivot)
10* blocks
1* camber
black fronts at 1.62"
3.5mm clearance

stock shock oil
red spring
1.5mm droop
outside of tubes raised with 20k
orange side springs
3.5mm clearance on back of chassis
3.5mm clearance on front and back of lower pod plate
magenta rears at 1.66"

Here's a pic

Attachment 997649
Interesting tire choice...

Can you comment on why you chose a synthetic front with the Mag rears? Is this a setup choice specific to the XTi?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71

Can you comment on why you chose a synthetic front with the Mag rears? Is this a setup choice specific to the XTi?
I've run it before, good combo for really high bite. I usually prefer magenta rears with a chrome (magenta/black combo) front as I like a more aggressive car.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71

That tire combo only worked with my XTi.

When I ran my Xi, I ran magenta/magenta or grey-low/chrome.

Let me start off by saying, my home track typically has alot of traction!

My first time out with the XTi I had magenta/magenta with the stock kit set up. The car over rotated and was hard to drive. I went to all the other tire combos and didn't have the feel I wanted. So, I changed a few things with the chassis (added a front brace, raised the outside mounts of the side tubes, and lightened the side springs). The car felt much easier to drive, so I went back to trying different tires. The black fronts have more stearing then the greys or chromes and wore less, so I stuck with them. I tried grey-low and yellow rears, they were OK, but they wore fairly fast. So I tossed magenta rears on and the traction felt good and the tires didn't wear as badly.

It's an odd combo, but with the chassis set up and high traction it worked.
I ran 2 sets of tires all weekend at the Champs.
I started them at 1.68" rears and 1.64" fronts. Each run I would rotate the sets and skim them on the truer. I ran 6 practice runs, 4 quals, and a main on 2 sets. The main set was at 1.66" rears and 1.62" fronts.
I used a safety bead of super glue and that was it

Last edited by sg1; 11-29-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
I've run it before, good combo for really high bite. I usually prefer magenta rears with a chrome (magenta/black combo) front as I like a more aggressive car.
The Chromes are a Black/Grey combo AFAIK.

Originally Posted by sg1
That tire combo only worked with my XTi.

When I ran my Xi, I ran magenta/magenta or grey-low/chrome.

Let me start off by saying, my home track typically has alot of traction!

My first time out with the XTi I had magenta/magenta with the stock kit set up. The car over rotated and was hard to drive. I went to all the other tire combos and didn't have the feel I wanted. So, I changed a few things with the chassis (added a front brace, raised the outside mounts of the side tubes, and lightened the side springs). The car felt much easier to drive, so I went back to trying different tires. The black fronts have more stearing then the greys or chromes and wore less, so I stuck with them. I tried grey-low and yellow rears, they were OK, but they wore fairly fast. So I tossed magenta rears on and the traction felt good and the tires didn't wear as badly.

It's an odd combo, but with the chassis set up and high traction it worked.
I ran 2 sets of tires all weekend at the Champs.
I started them at 1.68" rears and 1.64" fronts. Each run I would rotate the sets and skim them on the truer. I ran 6 practice runs, 4 quals, and a main on 2 sets. The main set was at 1.66" rears and 1.62" fronts.
I used a saftey bead of super glue and that was it
Thanks for the detailed response Wayne!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Dumper & Frank told me that chromes are gray/silver. The silver being a different blend of an asphalt tire. They were vague beyond that, so I am just going to roll with it. I've seen blacks turn more then others before, they are not always the "least" amount.

I can see the logic behind a mag/black combo..... can't say I've tried it, but I can see it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Dumper & Frank told me that chromes are gray/silver. The silver being a different blend of an asphalt tire. They were vague beyond that, so I am just going to roll with it. I've seen blacks turn more then others before, they are not always the "least" amount.

I can see the logic behind a mag/black combo..... can't say I've tried it, but I can see it.
The old'n days blacks used to push..lol..
These had stearing! I was surprised.

I second the chrome tires, that's what I heard also (gray/silver).
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

From the site:

2188 - 1/12th Front Mounted - Chrome
SKU: 2188
List Price: $17.99

CRC's new Chrome compound. Great for high bite 1:12th road racing especially in the 17.5 and 13.5 classes.

The Chrome has the best of both worlds, the high traction grip of a magenta front, with the easy smooth feel of a black front.

It says like magenta but doesn't say it actually is magenta so easy to get confused.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

I know BSR calls them Gray/Silver and they are, arguably, the same tire as the CRC Chrome. I recall when BSR was mounting tires for CEFX, they were calling them Black/Greys(or at least Josh was).

From what I understood, the Silver was a synthetic/exotic foam of similar shore/durometer to Black... maybe a bit firmer.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If you did a blind taste test with magenta and chromes, I doubt you could tell the difference. I've actually made the mistake once where I had a magenta on one side and a chrome on the other. I didn't catch till a week later. The car ran fine, I just looked like an idiot. Where you will see the difference is if you race on a track that gums up the fronts. The chrome will run cleaner. I like to tell guys that chrome steers like a magenta but acts like a black.

If that doesn't screw with your mind!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
If you did a blind taste test with magenta and chromes, I doubt you could tell the difference. I've actually made the mistake once where I had a magenta on one side and a chrome on the other. I didn't catch till a week later. The car ran fine, I just looked like an idiot. Where you will see the difference is if you race on a track that gums up the fronts. The chrome will run cleaner. I like to tell guys that chrome steers like a magenta but acts like a black.

If that doesn't screw with your mind!
makes total sense if you run at a track where a pink compound loads up.

so the real question is how does your local track operator keep the carpet maintained so you can't tell the difference between magenta and chrome?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Tech Regular

What is the part number for the orange side springs?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by avink007
What is the part number for the orange side springs?
http://www.windtunnelracingproducts....products_id=81
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by avs
makes total sense if you run at a track where a pink compound loads up.

so the real question is how does your local track operator keep the carpet maintained so you can't tell the difference between magenta and chrome?
Our local track has so much traction your shoes sticks to it when you mashal.
Then when you walk off the carpet all the dirt sticks to the bottom of your shoe and it becomes slippery..lol..

We use "Traction Action" by Paragon.
It forms a black groove in less then hour with cars running on it.

Your tires are gummed up when you come off
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Wayne,
what is the effect of raising the outer end of the tubes?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vafactor
Wayne,
what is the effect of raising the outer end of the tubes?
I originally tried this on my WGT.

When I raised the outer end and lowered the tube lube the dampening felt more linear (if that makes sense). I guess you could compair it to changing your shock angle.

It may be more of an effect then what we may think because of how the 2/56 balls are mounted onto the pod top plate. Being on the bottom there's less leverage/movement then if they were mounted on the top. So by straighteneing the tubes (raising the outer end) and lowering the dampening it frees it up and lets the chassis roll more. For me it's easier to drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.